E-reader

Old Jun 8th 2015, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

MegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond reputeMegSnow has a reputation beyond repute
Default E-reader

I have my Kindle that I brought with me from the UK and I keep it connected to my UK Amazon account. After looking on Amazon Canada it seems there is hardly any content that I want to warrant me transferring my UK Kindle to Canada Kindle. Everything seems to come up with 'not available in your country'. I can, however, get a Kobo which allows me to borrow books from the library and have a good selection from Indigo.

Does anyone have a Kobo and can they recommend it?
Old Jun 8th 2015, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: E-reader

Originally Posted by MegSnow
After looking on Amazon Canada it seems there is hardly any content that I want to warrant me transferring my UK Kindle to Canada Kindle. Everything seems to come up with 'not available in your country'.
That's presumably because you're trying to use a UK Kindle account to buy from the Canadian site. Amazon won't let you do that.

Does anyone have a Kobo and can they recommend it?
We have a Kobo that we won in a raffle. It's basically an Android tablet that's customized for reading Kobo books. Nothing much to complain about, except you can't easily transfer Kindle books to the Kobo reader.

Personally, I mostly stopped using my Kindle and just run the Kindle, Google Books and Kobo apps on my Android tablet. Tablet screens are much better than they used to be, and don't hurt my eyes any more after reading for long periods.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 11:21 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I have the Kobo aura. It is e ink so much easier on your eyes than tablet.
Phenomenal battery life.
I don't buy books just borrow e books from library.

I LOVE it !!!! Would highly recommend.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 1:16 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I have an Amazon CA account- same login/password-different country. I use my kindle on my iPad which I brought from the UK. Books are universal so there's nothing you can't get on Amazon.ca that you can on the UK site.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Books are universal so there's nothing you can't get on Amazon.ca that you can on the UK site.
If the publisher has UK rights but not Canadian rights, the ebook will be available on amazon.co.uk, but not amazon.ca. And, unlike dead tree books, Amazon won't sell it to you.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 8:08 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, I might be every so slightly biased about this, due to who I work for

The Kobo device mentioned by MarkG is one of the Android based tablets, either a Vox, or one of the Arc range of devices.

The Aura, that is mentioned by Zoe Bell is one of the eInk devices Kobo produces.

Kobo also has apps for iOS and Android based devices, so if you already have such a device, have a look at the apps.

I've had a fair few of the eReaders, my current one being an Aura H2O, and have to say I do rather like it. Here's an admission for you; I work on the iOS team, but I don't read at all using the iOS app. Why not? Prior to my 6 Plus, the screen size just wasn't big enough for me, and even with the 6 Plus, it's still not "right" for me. I don't own a personal iPad device, so using it there isn't an option either.
The eInk devices are, for me, a better reading experience. There is also a small part of me not wanting to use the app as I work on it all day, so a break from it is nice

Pop into a chapters or Indigo and they should have demo units of the devices, so you can see which one fits better for you. I'm fairly sure The Source and possibly other retailers have Kindles alongside as well, so you can compare Apples to Oranges.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 8:20 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Kobo Aura too - my second Kobo, not because there was anything wrong with the other one, I just wanted light

The reason I went with KOBO was for the library, which was OK in town but moving out of town and having to join a smaller library meant that the books I could borrow was severely diminished, I no longer use a library as I DO NOT read mills and boon type stuff.

Gripes I have with KOBO, everytime you use the desktop thingy it needs updating. The free books are a nightmare to find. Not all authors are for sale on KOBO, I have found a better choice on AMAZON.

I Subscribe to BOOKBUB lots of free books (you will notice there are far more free books for Amazon all the time) a lot of free KOBO books are mills and boon swoon books (barf). Quite like the look of the new waterproofy Kobo, when your in a hot bath the Aura doesn't like to turn pages after a while. I would also like a better warning that my battery is low, the battery lasts so long I forget to charge it, when it gets to 10% it tells, you than switches itself off, right in the middle of a sentence!!!
Old Jun 8th 2015, 9:35 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
If the publisher has UK rights but not Canadian rights, the ebook will be available on amazon.co.uk, but not amazon.ca. And, unlike dead tree books, Amazon won't sell it to you.
How many books does that actually apply to though? A lot of the books I read before seem to be available to me here too...maybe just the genre/author I lean to..

I'm part of a local book so am reading a bias towards Canadian authors at the moment!
Old Jun 8th 2015, 9:57 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

How many books does that actually apply to though? A lot of the books I read before seem to be available to me here too...maybe just the genre/author I lean to..

I'm part of a local book so am reading a bias towards Canadian authors at the moment!
More than you think.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 2:27 am
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I might pose the question to a couple of people who may know the answer and see what they have to say about it.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 2:59 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Im intrigued TT, the spine, the cover, a page.........or two?
Old Jun 9th 2015, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
More than you think.
Yes. Mostly it's British books where they haven't sold the rights to a Canadian publisher... I've had to buy print copies of several UK books over the last few years because I couldn't buy the Kindle version here, whereas I could have done in the UK.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 12:15 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Im intrigued TT, the spine, the cover, a page.........or two?
Doh!

Originally Posted by MarkG
Yes. Mostly it's British books where they haven't sold the rights to a Canadian publisher... I've had to buy print copies of several UK books over the last few years because I couldn't buy the Kindle version here, whereas I could have done in the UK.
What books were they? Just curious How do you keep up with British books? Newspapers? The nearest new book shop here is an hour away. I no longer do my lovingly walk around a book shop browsing anymore and don't feel as exposed in general to new culture...books/music/film.. The supermarket does have new books but supermarket selection process. In part it's because of where we live...local newspaper filled with local news and Toronto too far away. But reading UK papers seems to hark back to home in many ways so I avoid it..
Old Jun 9th 2015, 12:18 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

There are "tricks" one can use, for example, change the billing address to the country you wish to purchase in. However, that will likely fail, as the billing address doesn't match the address for the purchase method, and some do like that to match up, for obvious security reasons.

I have remembered to ask those who may know, so we shall see what information is forthcoming.
Old Jun 9th 2015, 12:43 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

It is a thing, it is pretty common and it would apply to a lot of books.
A publisher having worldwide rights to a book is pretty rare. If the rights to a book in a geo would equate to being worth a lot of money, then someone (a publisher) would have snapped up the rights for those geo's. This explains why in one country (or a few) you'd see one publisher selling the book, whereas in another geo, you'd see a different publisher (could be the local subsidiary of that publisher, or a completely different publisher).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.