Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

To Dyson or not to Dyson?????

To Dyson or not to Dyson?????

Old May 15th 2009, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To Dyson or not to Dyson?????

[QUOTE=Jsmth321;7574540]
Originally Posted by nooka
Price is generally more important with US consumers then quality.

I found the same in Canada...

Tim Horton's for example

I came over 2 months ahead of the 'boss' and bought a stand up dirt devil, being a man I have no idea !!

We're moving West soon and the devil is staying

She wants a Dyson, we had an animal in the UK and she loved it. Bit worrying to hear that the build quality over here maybe inferior though.
Old May 15th 2009, 12:48 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=PeterF;7574674]
Originally Posted by Jsmth321

She wants a Dyson, we had an animal in the UK and she loved it. Bit worrying to hear that the build quality over here maybe inferior though.
You'll get used to it. Things are not meant to last forever and it's often cheaper to replace than repair/service.
Old May 15th 2009, 2:44 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I would love for my central vac to work BUT it doesn't (it sucks until you put the nozzle on it).

As you possibly know I have a super fluffy dog, imagine a ragdoll cat that has quadrupled in size and then some, he likes to dig under the deck and lay in the soft dirt and bring in half the garden...I'm sure your getting the idea. We have hard floors - no carpet anywhere and just a couple of rugs. I wanted a Dyson, but being tight I couldn't see myself spending and I really thought my central vac was going to be fixed, so we bought a cheap hoover from Home Depot, on offer for about $60. I generally sweep/swiffer everyday and use a handheld to suck up the crap but everyweek I vaccum and steam mop - steam mopping is sometimes required more often - depends on wet doggy feet. So I don't see the need of a Dyson but would really recommend a Steam mop, I love mine.
Old May 15th 2009, 2:49 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

The upright Dyson we bought here in Canada about 5 years ago is identical to the one we had in the UK even down to the part numbers, and it's every bit as good on carpet. Not amazing on hardwood though.
Old May 15th 2009, 2:54 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I can highly recommend a Top Vac 'Altima'. An excellent quality, goes from hard flooring to carpet. Has great suction and a long hose and is much cheaper. Got mine for 200 dollars.

http://sandyvac.com/topvac/topvac.html
Old May 15th 2009, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

I use my central vac and it's ok....not fantastic...but ok!

About once a week or so I use my Miele.....I find it much better than the Dyson I had in the UK. They cost about the same as Dyson.

Linda
Old May 15th 2009, 3:13 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Dyson and love it.

I find I use the hose more on the hardwood, but overall, very happy with it. I've had it 3 years now?
Old May 15th 2009, 3:37 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

We have the Dyson its great and it comes out once every couple of months now

The dyson was the number 1 cleaner untill we bought a roomba
Old May 15th 2009, 3:52 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I can recommend a 'cleaner'. For $12 an hour she sweeps and washes our hardwood floors. Given that you can buy a reasonable vac for the carpets for $150 and a Dyson is $600 or so, the $450 saved provides us with 15 weeks of the cleaner @ 2.5hrs a week.
Old May 15th 2009, 5:38 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

The price of a Dyson in Canada scared me off buying one so I went for a similar thing made by Bissell (similar in that it was bagless etc etc). Absolute garbage. Couple months later went out and bought a Dyson. So my effort to save money cost me in the end! The Bissel is now in the garage and used to vac the cars (well supposedly - when OH is not about still take the Dyson out to do it!).
Old May 15th 2009, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

I remember reading some write up on Mr Dyson, apparently he tried for years to get the big manufacturer's to buy into his patented design, he didn't want to manufacture it himself he wanted to invent.

In the end he had to though, as the big manufacturer's didn't want the 'no bag' design, as they made large after sales money on the bags and filters.
Old May 15th 2009, 6:06 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PeterF

In the end he had to though, as the big manufacturer's didn't want the 'no bag' design, as they made large after sales money on the bags and filters.
Interesting.....
Old May 15th 2009, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by l i s a
I finally got my Dyson (Animal) for a Valentines gift! - well after 20 years together this year I thought it was pretty good
Whoops!
JC Penney says that's enough for the doghouse!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyduncFpzl4
Old May 15th 2009, 8:23 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by PeterF
I remember reading some write up on Mr Dyson, apparently he tried for years to get the big manufacturer's to buy into his patented design, he didn't want to manufacture it himself he wanted to invent.

He's Sir Dyson now and worth over a billion pounds - bet the big manufacturers are kicking themselves now!
Old May 15th 2009, 8:27 pm
Since 010205

l i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nice

Originally Posted by AdrianR
Whoops!
JC Penney says that's enough for the doghouse!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyduncFpzl4
Love it! So, I shouldn't mention my sewing machine for Mothers Day or I would look like a real loser eh!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.