Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

To Dyson or not to Dyson?????

To Dyson or not to Dyson?????

Old May 14th 2009, 11:56 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default To Dyson or not to Dyson?????

After 2 years, I am getting fed up wrestling with my python-like central vac hose and am thinking of getting a Dyson Animal. The only problem is the cost..... $599 or $699 (depending on model) plus 13% HST

I owned 2 Dysons back in the UK. First one lasted about 10 years and only ever needed 1 new belt. Second Dyson was only around 2 months old when we got the job offer and we moved to NS 4 months later. Had to sell my Dyson baby which was hard to do

Our house is almost all hardwood or tile plus we have 2 rugs. We have one Ragdoll cat (furballs a-go-go especially at this time of the year) and one non-shedding dog that brings in leaves, twigs, burdocks etc in his coat.

Dysons can go from hardwood to rugs easily because they can self-adjust the height. They also come with a 5-year guarantee and have a HEPA filter.

I Dysons but am really torn about justifying the cost.

Life can't be bad if this is all that's troubling me, eh
Old May 15th 2009, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To Dyson or not to Dyson?????

For that money, I'd purchase a SEBO.

Not a fan of Dyson's - tried two - both crap - but you've already said you are - so I'm no help whatsoever !
Old May 15th 2009, 12:30 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Sebos are wonderful I agree

we have a Sanitaire something ot other. It works very well, just need to move a switch from floor to carpet.
Old May 15th 2009, 1:02 am
Since 010205

l i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nice

I say do it! You won't regret it. I only put up with and suffered with central vac for just over a year, and I finally got my Dyson (Animal) for a Valentines gift! - well after 20 years together this year I thought it was pretty good

We have a large long haired dog and 2 Maine Coon Cats so plenty of fur here. The house really feels clean now I'm not just pushing it around with the cv. No regrets. (I had 2 over the years in the UK too).
Old May 15th 2009, 1:04 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Dyson's kick ass..........having moonlighted as a cleaner in my younger days, a Dyson is much better than any thing else I've ever used.
Old May 15th 2009, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

minimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud ofminimeeze has much to be proud of

Once you've had a Dyson there's no going back

I suffered central vac for a whole two weeks before I went out and bought a Dyson. I had one for about 6 years before I moved here. I have the cylinder one - not as good design wise as my UK one, but apparently the new UK ones are the same.

Central vac is a good idea in theory... in practice it is cumbersome and useless.
Old May 15th 2009, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

joelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to beholdjoelsa is a splendid one to behold

I'm with Anne on this one. I had 2 Dysons go wrong on me in the UK, admittedly their repair service was excellent (i asume it would be the same here) just didn't have much luck with them.

I have agree with you about "wrestling a Python", but i must say i do like my central vac. I just wish the hose would dissapear into the wall, would make it a lot easier to use.

Not much help, sorry.
Old May 15th 2009, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

nooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of lightnooka is a glorious beacon of light

We have a Dyson stick, and it is without doubt the worst vacuum I have ever used. It sucks poorly and is heavy and awkward, oh and now it is a bit broken after it sucked up a bit of Christmas tree that then got stuck in one of it's joints.

I have heard that US Dysons (we got ours in the States) have much lower build quality than the ones in the UK, but I don't know if that is true, or where Canadian Dysons are made, but I think they are overpriced and badly made.

In the UK we had a Henry for the last 10 years. Simple, inexpensive, never broke down and did the job with a smile Pity you can't buy them over here.
Old May 15th 2009, 5:24 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I loved my Dyson in the UK - my CV is good - but yes - wish the hose could disappear!! I had one of those dolls in the 70's that if you pressed a button all her hair would go back into her head. . . .surely they can come up with something like that?
Old May 15th 2009, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

I've had both Dyson (in UK) and Sebo (in Canada) and both do the job well and are reliable.
Old May 15th 2009, 8:17 am
In the boonies

drivemel2 is on a distinguished road

We had two Dysons but were not impressed, likewise with other makes.
I reseached 'Which Magazine' and on their recommendation got a Miele. Excellent in every way and also not cumbersome to pull around and price good too. We find it sucks up dog hair no problem but they also do a Cat and Dog version if you have lots of pets. Two years on and it's just as good as when new.
Old May 15th 2009, 11:43 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Dyson here, and it's fabulous. Cleans carpets like nothing else. However, they're not actually great on hardwood floors, just adequate. If you have a large proportion of hardwood floors then maybe consider something else. Mind you I find a sweeper of some sort (like the Swiffer) works better on hardwood floors than a vacuum.
Old May 15th 2009, 11:49 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I really don't see the point of having a snazzy vacuum cleaner if you've got hardwood floors. We've got the cheapest little canister going. It does the job fine.
Old May 15th 2009, 11:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=nooka;7573716]I have heard that US Dysons (we got ours in the States) have much lower build quality than the ones in the UK, but I don't know if that is true, or where Canadian Dysons are made, but I think they are overpriced and badly made.QUOTE]

Its a possibility, US market is very price competitive and many a times Americans (I grew up there and spent most of my life there.) are not willing to pay more for higher quality, and tend to go with other brands which have a lower price point.

Price is generally more important with US consumers then quality.
Old May 15th 2009, 11:57 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Jsmth321;7574540]
Originally Posted by nooka
I have heard that US Dysons (we got ours in the States) have much lower build quality than the ones in the UK, but I don't know if that is true, or where Canadian Dysons are made, but I think they are overpriced and badly made.QUOTE]

Its a possibility, US market is very price competitive and many a times Americans (I grew up there and spent most of my life there.) are not willing to pay more for higher quality, and tend to go with other brands which have a lower price point.

Price is generally more important with US consumers then quality.
Dyson manufactures all its stuff in Malaysia. It very probably does have different specs for different countries.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.