Doom Bar

Old Jul 3rd 2014, 6:54 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Doom Bar

Originally Posted by Shard
Is it? When was that...?
Brewed by Carling in London Ontario, later merged with O'keefe and then bought out by Molson...

Carling was licensed to both Bass and South Afircan Brewies (now SABmiller) some time in the 50's i think
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 6:57 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Brewed by Carling in London Ontario, later merged with O'keefe and then bought out by Molson...

Carling was licensed to both Bass and South Afircan Brewies (now SABmiller) some time in the 50's i think
Had no idea. Always assumed it was Danish or something. Interesting.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 7:01 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
Ahh wonderful its usually just...Queers shite and Molson "an insult to" Canadians(s) I will never understand why Queers shite is the biggest seeling beer... whats wrong with people!
Simply put... it fits the North American taste profile.... they like it,
its good ice cold, they drink in the summer,the BBQ and patio is where they prerfer to drink....

Stronger tasting beers are made, have been made and very few make big inroads with the consumers.. they just don't buy enough

As ales are easier and cheaper to make than lagers... the breweris have tried... try Molson export... orginally an ale ( and still is)... now its hard to tell it apart form a lager

It intresting to find that the popular German wiess (white or wheat) beer has IMHO done the best job of gaining popularity in the NA main stream ( a beer that's a bigger pain in arse to make than lager)
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 7:07 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Simply put... it fits the North American taste profile.... they like it,
its good ice cold, they drink in the summer,the BBQ and patio is where they prerfer to drink....

Stronger tasting beers are made, have been made and very few make big inroads with the consumers.. they just don't buy enough

As ales are easier and cheaper to make than lagers... the breweris have tried... try Molson export... orginally an ale ( and still is)... now its hard to tell it apart form a lager

It intresting to find that the popular German wiess (white or wheat) beer has IMHO done the best job of gaining popularity in the NA main stream ( a beer that's a bigger pain in arse to make than lager)

What's the ABV content?
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 7:16 pm
Part Time Poster

Originally Posted by Oink
What...
Coors Light Canadain brewed 4.1%
Molson Export 5%
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 7:34 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Is it? When was that...?
Back in the good old days of Carling O'Keefe.
Here's the Wiki link

Carling O'Keefe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 7:37 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

What...
Coors Light Canadain brewed 4.1%
Molson Export 5%
Fine, I don't drink Coors Light. Point is, I don't care how tasteless it tastes as long as its got a punch. 5% is minimum, more is better until you get up to the 9s. Then it sort of ruins your evening as after about four or five tall cans of 9+% stuff you don't feel like going out.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 8:06 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Fine, I don't drink Coors Light. Point is, I don't care how tasteless it tastes as long as its got a punch. 5% is minimum, more is better until you get up to the 9s. Then it sort of ruins your evening as after about four or five tall cans of 9+% stuff you don't feel like going out.
I've just invented a cocktail in your honour, oink.

Red Stripe Crucial Brew, Malibu and ketamine.

Old Jul 3rd 2014, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Never seen Mad Tom in cask form...i bet that would be great...as i do enjoy it and ive seen it on tap, but never in cask form, where did you try that? that must have been in the Muskoka region somewhere?

I took a friend who was visiting me from the UK on a cask ale tour of Toronto, that was a good route we planned out. One place i visited was called "Ces't what" on Front Street, they brew their own cask ales and had 4 different ones in when I was there. Very enjoyable, wish i had chance to visit more often.
I had it on cask here:

https://twitter.com/cheshirecatpub

if you can figure out that twitter/bitter thing

or if you read like a human

Menu

Cheshire Cat pub in Carp to reopen within days, after devastating fire | Ottawa Citizen

It is on the west outskirts of Ottawa..great pub in a former one room school house which had a large fire which demolished the roof and a lot of the interior in Feb 2013 but reopened 10 months later.

They change their cask offerings seemingly weekly
Old Jul 4th 2014, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I had it on cask here:

Menu

Cheshire Cat pub in Carp to reopen within days, after devastating fire | Ottawa Citizen

It is on the west outskirts of Ottawa..great pub in a former one room school house which had a large fire which demolished the roof and a lot of the interior in Feb 2013 but reopened 10 months later.

Nice! I plan on a visit up to Ottawa later this year, when I have visitors, so will be sure to pay that place a visit! Mad Tom on cask....that would be right up my street! But any other Canadian cask offerings would be great too.

I think cask ale popularity is definitely on the up in Canada!!
Old Jul 4th 2014, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

You do know that carling is a originaly a Canadian beer...

Have you noticed that the Candian cans now have the 'lions' on them, and on close inspection you may find they look similar to the old wembley lions... amazing how a brand gets all messed up and lost...
Yes I heard that somewhere way back when I was living in the UK but I didn't know how true it was. I also heard that a Canadian introduced lager to the UK?? It wasn't Carling was it? lol! My UK ale loving friends will never let me live that down if that's true...we all have a passionate hate on for chav Carling!
Old Jul 4th 2014, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

To me, the IBU count is much more important. If you want % alchohol, beer is the wrong drink...if you want ABV you may as well drink alcool

Get Drunk Not Broke | Cheapest Booze for Your Buck
Old Jul 4th 2014, 12:14 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
I had it on cask here:

Menu

That's interesting, as according to google maps it's 8 minutes away by car from my Sister in Laws house. Made a mental note for next time we visit.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 12:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice! I plan on a visit up to Ottawa later this year, when I have visitors, so will be sure to pay that place a visit! Mad Tom on cask....that would be right up my street! But any other Canadian cask offerings would be great too.

I think cask ale popularity is definitely on the up in Canada!!
If you're ever in Guelph have a look here:

Woolwich Arrow - Serving Locally Crafted Foods and Beverages

They'll likely have something you'll find to be tolerable.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
If you're ever in Guelph have a look here:

Woolwich Arrow - Serving Locally Crafted Foods and Beverages

They'll likely have something you'll find to be tolerable.
Looks great! Another one I will make a note of....i have friends in Cambridge, so next time im that way, i think a visit is in order.

Cheers!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.