British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Don't you just love your neighbours!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/dont-you-just-love-your-neighbours-753584/)

Keelif Apr 2nd 2012 1:10 pm

Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Hi all,

Hope you are all well and the weather has been as nice for where ever you are as it has over here.

Well my husband and I had a little incident with our neighbour at the weekend. Basically our son was at his Grandmothers so we could go out for a meal to celebrate our wedding anniversary. My neighbour had informed us she was having a party but would try and keep it down after 10pm.

Well we are not killjoys but by 2am we were tired and her music was blaring so we asked her to turn it down and she did. By 5am it was blaring again and I had only had about 3 hours sleep :frown: So I text her again and she didnt reply so the hubby went and knocked on her back door and her 'friends answered and rudely informed my husband she had gone to bed. Well I'm glad she could sleep. :frown:

They turned the music down for about 20 mins this time and then it went up louder. Now my neighbour had told us if it all became too much to come and see her so I went to her back door, it was about 6am now. Her back door keys were hanging outside her lock and after knocking I opened her back door and was met with a barrage of abuse by her friends, who I am guessing must have the energy levels of superman or were on some sort of drugs to still be up drinking. They started swearing and shouting at me so not wanting a confrontation I went back to my house and thought I'd speak with my neighbour when she awakened from her alcohol induced coma.

At 0830 I heard her outside where the party had now moved. I still hadnt slept and was so tired and felt awful. Our son was due home at 12 so I thought if I could speak with her maybe I could get some sleep before he came back. Well that didnt go very well. She was barely coherent and her eyes and face were as red as a tomato. I said to her I didnt know what type of people she had round that would be rude and aggressive to her neighbours. Well upon saying this a women I can only describe as Big Bertha came bounding over, fag hanging out of her hand and eyes the size of saucers. She started swearing at me even though they all had their children in the garden. Don't you just love parents like that, the children are doomed from the start.

My husband asked her not to swear at me and reminded our neighbour that I am 3 months pregnant and had been up all night. Oh yes we are expecting again!! Which is the reason we have had to delay our reccie. Just had our 12 week scan and all is ok!! :D

Anyway I digress, Big Bertha then said.

'Oh well she is only 3 months pregnant' and went for me. My husband immediately stepped in front of me and my neighbour held her 'friend' back. Then Big Berthas boyfriend came over and started to get aggressive with my husband. So by now I'd well and truly had enough and called the police and the military police as my next door neighbours husband is in the Navy also but he was not there.

Her friends didn't leave until midday and the policeman said as no act of violence had actually occurred there was nothing they could do other than speak with them. There was only one policeman as apparently they have had so many cuts they no longer go out in pairs. He told us that Big Bertha and some of the others were from the nearby council estate and had told him that this isnt even that bad for a council estate and these things happen all the time. As you can tell Big Bertha was obviously a creature with great intelligence :blink: Well this is a military estate
but regardless that sort of behaviour shouldnt be regarded as 'normal' anywhere.

Well sorry if I have bored you all but I needed to rant and vent :) How is Canada with things like this? Does it make it easier when you have bad neighbour's as you have more room between properties?

dbd33 Apr 2nd 2012 1:18 pm

Re: Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Originally Posted by Keelif (Post 9984940)
Does it make it easier when you have bad neighbour's as you have more room between properties?

Ha!

No you don't and no it's not any different.

Jingsamichty Apr 2nd 2012 1:24 pm

Unfortunately Canada lets in lots of British council house chavs and ex-military types, so I'm afraid there's simply no getting away from them.

Keelif Apr 2nd 2012 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 9984974)
Unfortunately Canada lets in lots of British council house chavs and ex-military types, so I'm afraid there's simply no getting away from them.

Whats wrong with ex military lol?

Its a shame we cant dump them all on an island somewhere....oh wait didnt we already try that with Australia once :p

Keelif Apr 2nd 2012 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 9984955)
Ha!

No you don't and no it's not any different.

Well that's very reassuring to hear lol

I guess bad neighbours are a universal curse then. Unless you have enough money to make sure the nearest one is far enough away :D

Former Lancastrian Apr 2nd 2012 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 9984974)

:lol: I try my best to keep them out but the overseas offices keep issuing them PR status or granting them work permits, or IEC WHV letters :ohmy:

Keelif Apr 2nd 2012 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 9984997)
:lol: I try my best to keep them out but the overseas offices keep issuing them PR status or granting them work permits, or IEC WHV letters :ohmy:

Well thats good news for me and the hubby then when we are finally ex-military, unless it was the Chavs you were talking about and not sure we'd pass on that one :D

Howefamily Apr 2nd 2012 1:43 pm

we had this kind of crap in the UK but so far have not encountered it. Our neighbours love to listen to loud music but they keep it down after 11pm and will ensure its blaring from inside in the summer rather than outside.
That with the distance between houses makes it something we dont really notice.

The only thing we have had that we didnt get was friends of the neighbour swimming in our pool at 3am - he was a little drunk and my only concern was dead bodies to deal with should something go a little wrong.

Different kind of people here - well in my neighbourhood for sure

Lorry1 Apr 2nd 2012 1:46 pm

Thankfully we have never encountered this, bar once in England. Neighbours had a late night party and kept us awake so hubby got up at 6am to mow the lawn :lol:

Oink Apr 2nd 2012 1:48 pm

I'd have called the police one minute ofter midnight.

Former Lancastrian Apr 2nd 2012 1:49 pm

Dont worry once you get to Canada we have our own grown and immigrant neighbours that can be challenging enough.
We dont have council house estates as such but all major cities have Provincial housing authorities. Even some of the better upscale developments have problematic neighbours so its not all about chavs.
Neighbours are neighbours wherever you live regardless of what type of background or ethniticity they come from.

Howefamily Apr 2nd 2012 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9985023)
I'd have called the police one minute ofter midnight.

we had some great neighbours two doors down that used to turn it right up, I think it was drum and bass music and then go out! The neighbor between us used to sit and watch her TV with earphones on. The police were useless and in the end she was told to log it all by the council.
She used to take to going away every weekend to a friends. We used to get all kinds there banging on the doors of that house that started to look like a cesspit. The police again did nothing. Poor family the other side had baby twins so I dont know how they lived with it. I hope there is a place in hell for crappy neighbours like this.

Keelif Apr 2nd 2012 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Lorry1 (Post 9985018)
Thankfully we have never encountered this, bar once in England. Neighbours had a late night party and kept us awake so hubby got up at 6am to mow the lawn :lol:

Funny enough hubby mentioned doing this but seeing as the party was still going on at this time we didn't see the point ;)

Boy d Apr 2nd 2012 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Keelif (Post 9984940)
Hi all,

Hope you are all well and the weather has been as nice for where ever you are as it has over here.

Well my husband and I had a little incident with our neighbour at the weekend. Basically our son was at his Grandmothers so we could go out for a meal to celebrate our wedding anniversary. My neighbour had informed us she was having a party but would try and keep it down after 10pm.

Well we are not killjoys but by 2am we were tired and her music was blaring so we asked her to turn it down and she did. By 5am it was blaring again and I had only had about 3 hours sleep :frown: So I text her again and she didnt reply so the hubby went and knocked on her back door and her 'friends answered and rudely informed my husband she had gone to bed. Well I'm glad she could sleep. :frown:

They turned the music down for about 20 mins this time and then it went up louder. Now my neighbour had told us if it all became too much to come and see her so I went to her back door, it was about 6am now. Her back door keys were hanging outside her lock and after knocking I opened her back door and was met with a barrage of abuse by her friends, who I am guessing must have the energy levels of superman or were on some sort of drugs to still be up drinking. They started swearing and shouting at me so not wanting a confrontation I went back to my house and thought I'd speak with my neighbour when she awakened from her alcohol induced coma.

At 0830 I heard her outside where the party had now moved. I still hadnt slept and was so tired and felt awful. Our son was due home at 12 so I thought if I could speak with her maybe I could get some sleep before he came back. Well that didnt go very well. She was barely coherent and her eyes and face were as red as a tomato. I said to her I didnt know what type of people she had round that would be rude and aggressive to her neighbours. Well upon saying this a women I can only describe as Big Bertha came bounding over, fag hanging out of her hand and eyes the size of saucers. She started swearing at me even though they all had their children in the garden. Don't you just love parents like that, the children are doomed from the start.

My husband asked her not to swear at me and reminded our neighbour that I am 3 months pregnant and had been up all night. Oh yes we are expecting again!! Which is the reason we have had to delay our reccie. Just had our 12 week scan and all is ok!! :D

Anyway I digress, Big Bertha then said.

'Oh well she is only 3 months pregnant' and went for me. My husband immediately stepped in front of me and my neighbour held her 'friend' back. Then Big Berthas boyfriend came over and started to get aggressive with my husband. So by now I'd well and truly had enough and called the police and the military police as my next door neighbours husband is in the Navy also but he was not there.

Her friends didn't leave until midday and the policeman said as no act of violence had actually occurred there was nothing they could do other than speak with them. There was only one policeman as apparently they have had so many cuts they no longer go out in pairs. He told us that Big Bertha and some of the others were from the nearby council estate and had told him that this isnt even that bad for a council estate and these things happen all the time. As you can tell Big Bertha was obviously a creature with great intelligence :blink: Well this is a military estate
but regardless that sort of behaviour shouldnt be regarded as 'normal' anywhere.

Well sorry if I have bored you all but I needed to rant and vent :) How is Canada with things like this? Does it make it easier when you have bad neighbour's as you have more room between properties?

Well of course it happens everywhere. If it was truly a one-off it would have been best just to right off the night after your attempts to speak with the neighbour failed.

The police here have more powers to deal with such a matter, and certainly more than one would show up, but other priority calls make it hit and miss what they could do.

I have seized stereo equipment in the past as evidence of mischief...but it was a slow night. Very effective at dealing with the problem, but one can only imagine the state of the relationship left between the neighbours.

Oink Apr 2nd 2012 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 9985031)
we had some great neighbours two doors down that used to turn it right up, I think it was drum and bass music and then go out! The neighbor between us used to sit and watch her TV with earphones on. The police were useless and in the end she was told to log it all by the council.
She used to take to going away every weekend to a friends. We used to get all kinds there banging on the doors of that house that started to look like a cesspit. The police again did nothing. Poor family the other side had baby twins so I dont know how they lived with it. I hope there is a place in hell for crappy neighbours like this.

One of the few things I liked about the US was at the start of every September, I'd go around to all the new tenants and explain who I was and that if I heard a peep after 11pm I call the police. After the first complaint, the police would start to levy increasingly heavy fines on their landlords. By October the neighbourhood was quiet for the rest of the year. :thumbup:

Keelif Apr 2nd 2012 2:03 pm

Its horrible when you feel intimidated in your own house.

Maybe we should have called the police earlier but we wanted to try and keep things as amicable as possible until that no longer became an option.

I have nothing against people that do live on council estates, its just people like my neighbours guests that unfortunately give them all a bad name.

Unfortunately the military housing here is well I'd say not exactly great on privacy. We have chicken wire seperating the back gardens instead of fences so it really is hard to hide from your neighbours in a row of terrace houses.

Luckily the family that lived the other side of the neighbour from hell moved out last month. Think they'd had enough :unsure:

Keelif Apr 2nd 2012 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Boy d (Post 9985049)
Well of course it happens everywhere. If it was truly a one-off it would have been best just to right off the night after your attempts to speak with the neighbour failed.

The police here have more powers to deal with such a matter, and certainly more than one would show up, but other priority calls make it hit and miss what they could do.

I have seized stereo equipment in the past as evidence of mischief...but it was a slow night. Very effective at dealing with the problem, but one can only imagine the state of the relationship left between the neighbours.

She has regular parties when her husband is not there and unfortunately hes away a lot. Think she may have a slight drinking problem as her favourite past time appears to be sitting in her garden come rain or shine with a pint of wine (yes a pint) chain smoking.

We usually try and stay at friends or families to avoid any trouble but sometimes you just have enough...

Yes we were shocked it was just the one guy. Its quite dangerous really as if anything happened to him he'd have no one to call for backup. He was very nice though but like you said there powers are limited.

Keelif Apr 2nd 2012 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 9985013)
we had this kind of crap in the UK but so far have not encountered it. Our neighbours love to listen to loud music but they keep it down after 11pm and will ensure its blaring from inside in the summer rather than outside.
That with the distance between houses makes it something we dont really notice.

The only thing we have had that we didnt get was friends of the neighbour swimming in our pool at 3am - he was a little drunk and my only concern was dead bodies to deal with should something go a little wrong.

Different kind of people here - well in my neighbourhood for sure

Thats good to hear as its Nova Scotia we are looking at :D

Oink Apr 2nd 2012 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Keelif (Post 9985070)
She has regular parties when her husband is not there and unfortunately hes away a lot. Think she may have a slight drinking problem as her favourite past time appears to be sitting in her garden come rain or shine with a pint of wine (yes a pint) chain smoking.

We usually try and stay at friends or families to avoid any trouble but sometimes you just have enough...

Yes we were shocked it was just the one guy. Its quite dangerous really as if anything happened to him he'd have no one to call for backup. He was very nice though but like you said there powers are limited.

So you live in the officers quarters then. :rofl:

Howefamily Apr 2nd 2012 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Keelif (Post 9985072)
Thats good to hear as its Nova Scotia we are looking at :D

:thumbsup:

Keelif Apr 2nd 2012 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9985074)
So you live in the officers quarters then. :rofl:

Oh yes only the best for us :rofl:

Auld Yin Apr 2nd 2012 3:34 pm

To put it succinctly. We do not have ASBOs in Canada.

Jingsamichty Apr 2nd 2012 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 9985238)

Well that's a very loaded statement.

Are you implying that there is a gap in the legal sytem in Canada, or are you implying that there is no anti-social behaviour in Canada?

Former Lancastrian Apr 2nd 2012 4:06 pm

I just think he is stating that the Canadian press do not report anti social behaviour like the British media do. ASBO is commonly used over there.
I think we have sufficient legislation to deal with unruly neighbours here in Canada.
Im not suggesting the Canadian media is better than the UK but we are a bit more polite in how we report such matters such as not using terms such as chavs, lager louts ASBOs etc etc.

el_richo Apr 2nd 2012 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 9985238)

No, you have guns

ExKiwilass Apr 2nd 2012 4:14 pm

it depends on where you live. my city has fairly strict noise control laws. my neighbours are great, but when they first met us, they were clearly nervous as we looked, to them, like partiers and they kept saying "we are very quiet people...we don't have parties...we like our sleep" haha.

Luckily we're geeks so they're safe.

Keelif Apr 2nd 2012 4:34 pm

I'm not really sure the ASBO has much credence to it anyway. It doesn't seem to deter the people it is intended for. If anything it has become the opposite with it being worn as a badge of honour amongst some criminals. :frown:

They were on about getting rid of it at one point but not sure if its already happened, happening or the ideas been scrapped.

I have taken El Ricos advice from a previous post and generally try to avoid reading the papers these days lol

el_richo Apr 2nd 2012 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 9985311)
it depends on where you live. my city has fairly strict noise control laws. my neighbours are great, but when they first met us, they were clearly nervous as we looked, to them, like partiers and they kept saying "we are very quiet people...we don't have parties...we like our sleep" haha.

Luckily we're geeks so they're safe.

We haven't had any issues with noise at all other than the ****ing seagulls during the summer months and the dragon boaters grunting early in the morning. Then again, we didn't have any issues in the UK.

We did have the occasional gunshot here followed by sirens earlier in the year but that's quietened down now.

Former Lancastrian Apr 2nd 2012 4:52 pm

If you live in an area that gets lots of Canada geese returning there is **** all the police or local authorities will be able to do :rofl:
Time to park the car in the garage and avoid running into them on my way to work at 3am. Stoopid birds crossing main roads at that time in the morning or am I stoopid for accepting shift work?

Auld Yin Apr 2nd 2012 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 9985279)
Well that's a very loaded statement.

Are you implying that there is a gap in the legal sytem in Canada, or are you implying that there is no anti-social behaviour in Canada?

What's loaded about it? As far as I'm aware it's true. I'm not implying anything. You either accept it as a fact and think what you may or do not believe it. I dont give a rat's ass. In all my years of living here I have never encountered unruly neighbours and neither have any of my family, many friends or acquaintances.
Of course I'm aware that there is anti-social behaviour in Canada. It just doesn't seem to be as developed as in UK, and long may that continue.

Oink Apr 2nd 2012 6:00 pm

When I first came here I lived right across the street from a park and a beach and it was terrible with the nose at night of drunken louts breaking bottles, screaming, playing naffing bongos and generally making life miserable for the people living there. The police used to come sometimes on their ATV's but as soon as they stopped riding around, all the louts and loutesses came back. This was one of the main reasons I moved. Plus, the beach goers would chuck rubbish in your garden. It got worse when they built a sodding restaurant. A right shithole of a place.

Keelif Apr 2nd 2012 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9985468)
When I first came here I lived right across the street from a park and a beach and it was terrible with the nose at night of drunken louts breaking bottles, screaming, playing naffing bongos and generally making life miserable for the people living there. The police used to come sometimes on their ATV's but as soon as they stopped riding around, all the louts and loutesses came back. This was one of the main reasons I moved. Plus, the beach goers would chuck rubbish in your garden. It got worse when they built a sodding restaurant. A right shithole of a place.

Where was this Oink so I can try to avoid ever having to live there? :)

Oink Apr 2nd 2012 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Keelif (Post 9985475)
Where was this Oink so I can try to avoid ever having to live there? :)

A place called Kitts Point. Its been noted before that Vancouver's beach areas lack decent amenities so it encourages people to get up mischief.

Keelif Apr 2nd 2012 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9985505)
A place called Kitts Point. Its been noted before that Vancouver's beach areas lack decent amenities so it encourages people to get up mischief.

Well I hope you are happy where you are now and not experiencing the same sort of problems :)

el_richo Apr 2nd 2012 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 9985505)

I met an English fella the other day in the dog park. He was teling me he had to move from his ground floor Yaletown apartment because neighbours above used to drop litter from their balcony onto it, and try to catch his dog with their fishing rod and hook when they were pissed up :thumbdown:

el_richo Apr 2nd 2012 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Keelif (Post 9985507)
Well I hope you are happy where you are now and not experiencing the same sort of problems :)

He replaced drunken yobs and litter for an accoustically challenged homeless resident at 3am :(

el_richo Apr 2nd 2012 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 9985455)
What's loaded about it? As far as I'm aware it's true. I'm not implying anything. You either accept it as a fact and think what you may or do not believe it. I dont give a rat's ass. In all my years of living here I have never encountered unruly neighbours and neither have any of my family, many friends or acquaintances.
Of course I'm aware that there is anti-social behaviour in Canada. It just doesn't seem to be as developed as in UK, and long may that continue.

See post #25

Oink Apr 2nd 2012 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Keelif (Post 9985507)

Its much quieter here thank you and we haven't had any trouble from our neighbours as yet, except for one kid who plays with his basketball in the afternoon. Luckily, the weather has putt him off somewhat plus, he's quite a pudgy little kid so he doesn't have much stamina.

Jingsamichty Apr 2nd 2012 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin (Post 9985455)

To put it succintly, you're talking out of your arse, again.

Auld Yin Apr 2nd 2012 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty (Post 9985533)
To put it succintly, you're talking out of your arse, again.

And right back at you, and BTW, it's succinctly.