Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:10 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 105
Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice
Default Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Hi all,

Hope you are all well and the weather has been as nice for where ever you are as it has over here.

Well my husband and I had a little incident with our neighbour at the weekend. Basically our son was at his Grandmothers so we could go out for a meal to celebrate our wedding anniversary. My neighbour had informed us she was having a party but would try and keep it down after 10pm.

Well we are not killjoys but by 2am we were tired and her music was blaring so we asked her to turn it down and she did. By 5am it was blaring again and I had only had about 3 hours sleep So I text her again and she didnt reply so the hubby went and knocked on her back door and her 'friends answered and rudely informed my husband she had gone to bed. Well I'm glad she could sleep.

They turned the music down for about 20 mins this time and then it went up louder. Now my neighbour had told us if it all became too much to come and see her so I went to her back door, it was about 6am now. Her back door keys were hanging outside her lock and after knocking I opened her back door and was met with a barrage of abuse by her friends, who I am guessing must have the energy levels of superman or were on some sort of drugs to still be up drinking. They started swearing and shouting at me so not wanting a confrontation I went back to my house and thought I'd speak with my neighbour when she awakened from her alcohol induced coma.

At 0830 I heard her outside where the party had now moved. I still hadnt slept and was so tired and felt awful. Our son was due home at 12 so I thought if I could speak with her maybe I could get some sleep before he came back. Well that didnt go very well. She was barely coherent and her eyes and face were as red as a tomato. I said to her I didnt know what type of people she had round that would be rude and aggressive to her neighbours. Well upon saying this a women I can only describe as Big Bertha came bounding over, fag hanging out of her hand and eyes the size of saucers. She started swearing at me even though they all had their children in the garden. Don't you just love parents like that, the children are doomed from the start.

My husband asked her not to swear at me and reminded our neighbour that I am 3 months pregnant and had been up all night. Oh yes we are expecting again!! Which is the reason we have had to delay our reccie. Just had our 12 week scan and all is ok!!

Anyway I digress, Big Bertha then said.

'Oh well she is only 3 months pregnant' and went for me. My husband immediately stepped in front of me and my neighbour held her 'friend' back. Then Big Berthas boyfriend came over and started to get aggressive with my husband. So by now I'd well and truly had enough and called the police and the military police as my next door neighbours husband is in the Navy also but he was not there.

Her friends didn't leave until midday and the policeman said as no act of violence had actually occurred there was nothing they could do other than speak with them. There was only one policeman as apparently they have had so many cuts they no longer go out in pairs. He told us that Big Bertha and some of the others were from the nearby council estate and had told him that this isnt even that bad for a council estate and these things happen all the time. As you can tell Big Bertha was obviously a creature with great intelligence Well this is a military estate
but regardless that sort of behaviour shouldnt be regarded as 'normal' anywhere.

Well sorry if I have bored you all but I needed to rant and vent How is Canada with things like this? Does it make it easier when you have bad neighbour's as you have more room between properties?
Keelif is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:18 pm
  #2  
Assimilated Pauper
 
dbd33's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Ontario
Posts: 39,809
dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Originally Posted by Keelif View Post
Does it make it easier when you have bad neighbour's as you have more room between properties?
Ha!


No you don't and no it's not any different.
dbd33 is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:24 pm
  #3  
Lowering the tone
 
Jingsamichty's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Here and there
Posts: 6,821
Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Unfortunately Canada lets in lots of British council house chavs and ex-military types, so I'm afraid there's simply no getting away from them.
Jingsamichty is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:27 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 105
Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice
Default Re: Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty View Post
Unfortunately Canada lets in lots of British council house chavs and ex-military types, so I'm afraid there's simply no getting away from them.
Whats wrong with ex military lol?

Its a shame we cant dump them all on an island somewhere....oh wait didnt we already try that with Australia once
Keelif is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:30 pm
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 105
Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice
Default Re: Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Originally Posted by dbd33 View Post
Ha!


No you don't and no it's not any different.
Well that's very reassuring to hear lol

I guess bad neighbours are a universal curse then. Unless you have enough money to make sure the nearest one is far enough away
Keelif is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:37 pm
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,651
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty View Post
Unfortunately Canada lets in lots of British council house chavs and ex-military types, so I'm afraid there's simply no getting away from them.
I try my best to keep them out but the overseas offices keep issuing them PR status or granting them work permits, or IEC WHV letters
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:41 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 105
Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice
Default Re: Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
I try my best to keep them out but the overseas offices keep issuing them PR status or granting them work permits, or IEC WHV letters
Well thats good news for me and the hubby then when we are finally ex-military, unless it was the Chavs you were talking about and not sure we'd pass on that one
Keelif is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:43 pm
  #8  
Happy
 
Howefamily's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,942
Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't you just love your neighbours!!

we had this kind of crap in the UK but so far have not encountered it. Our neighbours love to listen to loud music but they keep it down after 11pm and will ensure its blaring from inside in the summer rather than outside.
That with the distance between houses makes it something we dont really notice.

The only thing we have had that we didnt get was friends of the neighbour swimming in our pool at 3am - he was a little drunk and my only concern was dead bodies to deal with should something go a little wrong.

Different kind of people here - well in my neighbourhood for sure
Howefamily is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:46 pm
  #9  
The Brit is back
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: NS, Canada 2007-2013. Now....England!
Posts: 2,207
Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Thankfully we have never encountered this, bar once in England. Neighbours had a late night party and kept us awake so hubby got up at 6am to mow the lawn
Lorry1 is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:48 pm
  #10  
.
 
Oink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 20,154
Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't you just love your neighbours!!

I'd have called the police one minute ofter midnight.
Oink is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:49 pm
  #11  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,651
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Dont worry once you get to Canada we have our own grown and immigrant neighbours that can be challenging enough.
We dont have council house estates as such but all major cities have Provincial housing authorities. Even some of the better upscale developments have problematic neighbours so its not all about chavs.
Neighbours are neighbours wherever you live regardless of what type of background or ethniticity they come from.
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:52 pm
  #12  
Happy
 
Howefamily's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,942
Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Originally Posted by Oink View Post
I'd have called the police one minute ofter midnight.
we had some great neighbours two doors down that used to turn it right up, I think it was drum and bass music and then go out! The neighbor between us used to sit and watch her TV with earphones on. The police were useless and in the end she was told to log it all by the council.
She used to take to going away every weekend to a friends. We used to get all kinds there banging on the doors of that house that started to look like a cesspit. The police again did nothing. Poor family the other side had baby twins so I dont know how they lived with it. I hope there is a place in hell for crappy neighbours like this.
Howefamily is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:57 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 105
Keelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really niceKeelif is just really nice
Default Re: Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Originally Posted by Lorry1 View Post
Thankfully we have never encountered this, bar once in England. Neighbours had a late night party and kept us awake so hubby got up at 6am to mow the lawn
Funny enough hubby mentioned doing this but seeing as the party was still going on at this time we didn't see the point
Keelif is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:58 pm
  #14  
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,088
Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Originally Posted by Keelif View Post
Hi all,

Hope you are all well and the weather has been as nice for where ever you are as it has over here.

Well my husband and I had a little incident with our neighbour at the weekend. Basically our son was at his Grandmothers so we could go out for a meal to celebrate our wedding anniversary. My neighbour had informed us she was having a party but would try and keep it down after 10pm.

Well we are not killjoys but by 2am we were tired and her music was blaring so we asked her to turn it down and she did. By 5am it was blaring again and I had only had about 3 hours sleep So I text her again and she didnt reply so the hubby went and knocked on her back door and her 'friends answered and rudely informed my husband she had gone to bed. Well I'm glad she could sleep.

They turned the music down for about 20 mins this time and then it went up louder. Now my neighbour had told us if it all became too much to come and see her so I went to her back door, it was about 6am now. Her back door keys were hanging outside her lock and after knocking I opened her back door and was met with a barrage of abuse by her friends, who I am guessing must have the energy levels of superman or were on some sort of drugs to still be up drinking. They started swearing and shouting at me so not wanting a confrontation I went back to my house and thought I'd speak with my neighbour when she awakened from her alcohol induced coma.

At 0830 I heard her outside where the party had now moved. I still hadnt slept and was so tired and felt awful. Our son was due home at 12 so I thought if I could speak with her maybe I could get some sleep before he came back. Well that didnt go very well. She was barely coherent and her eyes and face were as red as a tomato. I said to her I didnt know what type of people she had round that would be rude and aggressive to her neighbours. Well upon saying this a women I can only describe as Big Bertha came bounding over, fag hanging out of her hand and eyes the size of saucers. She started swearing at me even though they all had their children in the garden. Don't you just love parents like that, the children are doomed from the start.

My husband asked her not to swear at me and reminded our neighbour that I am 3 months pregnant and had been up all night. Oh yes we are expecting again!! Which is the reason we have had to delay our reccie. Just had our 12 week scan and all is ok!!

Anyway I digress, Big Bertha then said.

'Oh well she is only 3 months pregnant' and went for me. My husband immediately stepped in front of me and my neighbour held her 'friend' back. Then Big Berthas boyfriend came over and started to get aggressive with my husband. So by now I'd well and truly had enough and called the police and the military police as my next door neighbours husband is in the Navy also but he was not there.

Her friends didn't leave until midday and the policeman said as no act of violence had actually occurred there was nothing they could do other than speak with them. There was only one policeman as apparently they have had so many cuts they no longer go out in pairs. He told us that Big Bertha and some of the others were from the nearby council estate and had told him that this isnt even that bad for a council estate and these things happen all the time. As you can tell Big Bertha was obviously a creature with great intelligence Well this is a military estate
but regardless that sort of behaviour shouldnt be regarded as 'normal' anywhere.

Well sorry if I have bored you all but I needed to rant and vent How is Canada with things like this? Does it make it easier when you have bad neighbour's as you have more room between properties?
Well of course it happens everywhere. If it was truly a one-off it would have been best just to right off the night after your attempts to speak with the neighbour failed.

The police here have more powers to deal with such a matter, and certainly more than one would show up, but other priority calls make it hit and miss what they could do.

I have seized stereo equipment in the past as evidence of mischief...but it was a slow night. Very effective at dealing with the problem, but one can only imagine the state of the relationship left between the neighbours.
Boy d is offline  
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:03 pm
  #15  
.
 
Oink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 20,154
Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't you just love your neighbours!!

Originally Posted by Howefamily View Post
we had some great neighbours two doors down that used to turn it right up, I think it was drum and bass music and then go out! The neighbor between us used to sit and watch her TV with earphones on. The police were useless and in the end she was told to log it all by the council.
She used to take to going away every weekend to a friends. We used to get all kinds there banging on the doors of that house that started to look like a cesspit. The police again did nothing. Poor family the other side had baby twins so I dont know how they lived with it. I hope there is a place in hell for crappy neighbours like this.
One of the few things I liked about the US was at the start of every September, I'd go around to all the new tenants and explain who I was and that if I heard a peep after 11pm I call the police. After the first complaint, the police would start to levy increasingly heavy fines on their landlords. By October the neighbourhood was quiet for the rest of the year.
Oink is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.