Dog Breeders?

Old Jan 8th 2007, 5:58 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Breeders?

Originally Posted by dbd33
This is a worry I have. Our cat came from the animal control and now that we're starting the search for a second dog it crossed my mind to go there for the dog. The problem though is that the people at the Humane Society and the pound fail to differentiate between scruffy dogs in need of care and lethal animals in need of shooting. Right up until the pit bull ban one could even adopt one of those from the Humane Society; now they send them to eat the children in BC. I have no faith that the staff at the dog shelter would reveal anything indicating a dog to be dangerous.
Well, I can only say it's a valid concern. Said dog in attached pic looks harmless enough but was going to injure someone. The cat on the other hand apart from annoyingly wanting feeding every morning at 6:30am is very much a people person.
Attached Thumbnails Dog Breeders?-bliz-medium-.jpg   Dog Breeders?-img_0014-medium-.jpg  
Old Jan 8th 2007, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Escapea
-

As for pit-bulls - There's no such thing as 'bad dogs', just bad owners.
Not always true!
Old Jan 8th 2007, 6:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Not always true!
It doesn't really matter. Once a dog of a breed inclined to be vicious has had an owner who encouraged the viciousness there's no place for the dog in this world.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 6:14 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Escapea
There's no such thing as 'bad dogs', just bad owners.
But the consequences of a pit bull or similar breed from a bad home are a bit more serious than say a basset hound or a greyhound from a bad home, aren't they? I'm asking cos I don't really know. (I prefer houseplants.)
Old Jan 8th 2007, 6:17 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
The cat on the other hand apart from annoyingly wanting feeding every morning at 6:30am is very much a people person.
6:30! Consider yourself lucky. I once fed my cat at 5am and she never, ever, ever, ever let me forget that!

Sorry to hear about the dog.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

The Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of lightThe Escapea is a glorious beacon of light

AX - sorry to hear about your pooch, and your efforts to rehome a previously mis-treated animal - I wasn't implying that you were a bad owner, merely that the dog had previously had a 'bad' owner which resulted in the behaviour issues which you were sadly unable to resolve.

HWP - you're right in that the ramifications of being attacked by a pit bull are greater than other breeds partly because they're terriers, and will never let go/give up, and also because of their jaw/bite strength. In terms of liklihood of attack, I think the stats in the UK a few years back were that most attacks by family pets on family members were by black labs, of all things!

Unfortunately the pit bull has been mis-used, mis-treated, and badly bred to accenuate negative certain traits, by an element of society who is attracted to having a fighting dog. By wiping out that breed, you're not actually changing the anti-social human element at all - they'll just move on to another breed, and so on. As the kennel club suggests on its site "Adding the Rottweiler to the Dangerous Dogs Act is likely to worsen the situation, as a minority are likely to take an unhealthy interest in another breed that is given the official label ‘Dangerous Dog’ as we have seen to be the case since the ban on Pitbull Terriers."

Incidentally, in the UK the maximum penalty for dog-fighting is six months in prison and a £5000 fine. Not much of a price to pay for those who actually get caught - meanwhile the dog pays with its life. Perhaps in a few years they'll be using minature poodles, and we'll all be warned about the dangers of them!

Don't actually know why they don't bring back dog licenses in the UK - just had to buy one here for our dog, $60 for the year, which helps fund the warden and pound.