Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Does Canada need to change their healthcare method?

Does Canada need to change their healthcare method?

Old May 6th 2015, 9:05 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does Canada need to change their healthcare method?

Originally Posted by scilly
I find that very insulting, and unnecessary

<snipped for length>

Shall we agree to disagree?

You will stop insulting me, and I will attempt to keep away from you
Scilly, the medical professionals on this thread seem to have really hit a nerve with you - what's the problem? You yourself have acknowledged that you got used to the way things used to be done, and that you were somewhat uncomfortable with the move towards evidence-based medicine. That is all that Stinkypup, Tirytory, Snoopdawg, and others have been talking about.

Stinkypup, in particular, made some comments about x-rays and that it's not usually a sign of good doctoring to get another one because "it's time..." - that was the exact phraseology that you had used in an earlier post.

Nobody has suggested, anywhere, that you have been "demanding" any of these tests or procedures. But the very fact that you had come to expect them means that you notice when they are not offered.

It is not coincidental that, in the same 40 years or so that you have experienced a decline in your perception of care, that all evidence points to greater longevity, generally better health outcomes for all sorts of ailments that used to be much more serious than they are, and all the societal implications of an aging population. It is due to the very success of healthcare systems that scarce resources now need to be managed more efficiently than they were a decade or more ago.

I really don't think anybody is having a go at you, and if you have chosen to be insulted then I think, frankly, that says more about your propensity to find offence than it does about any intention to cause it. But it might be wise to acknowledge that people who have practiced medicine in two countries with modern government-funded healthcare systems, and continue to undertake the required professional development as medical practitioners in Canada, probably have an inkling or two about their subject. Your experience, over however many years you have been living here, is entirely valid as one person's experience. It is, however, not a data set from which any conclusions can be drawn other than that it has been your individual experience.
Old May 6th 2015, 9:15 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
I find that very insulting, and unnecessary

I have never demanded an annual check-up .......... but an annual check-up was strongly recommended by the doctors AND the Health Authorities in BC from when we arrived until into the 90s.

It is only in the last 10 years that the annual exam has truly disappeared ........... so, yes, I grew used to having one, and find it difficult to accept that it is no longer considered necessary.

I missed having an annual exam for almost 5 years in the 1990s, mainly my fault. However, in that time I developed a breast cancer that would have been found probably 2-3 years earlier but for that fact. Why?? because my GP at that time would have sent me for a mammogram at least twice during those 5 years, which is the only way the cancer was found, it was far too deep to be felt by manual examination.

How do I know roughly when the cancer developed?

Because I'd had a mammogram in late 1990, when they were first made available and recommended. The surgeon was able to access those records in 1995, and determine that nothing was showing then, so she worked out the time frame. It made a difference to my treatment ........... for the better as far as I am concerned, as I opted for a mastectomy and was lucky enough not to need chemo or radiation.

The lack of an annual exam no longer affects me of course, as I usually go to the doctor every 3 months for certain tests ..... on HIS orders

I don't know how many patients die in the UK because of not having an annual check-up? Do you? Does anyone?

It is one of those questions that can never be answered as there is no check ..............

I do know patients die needlessly because of inadequacies in the NHS .... just as they die needlessly because of inadequacies in the Canadian Medical system

and that is from personal knowledge of relatives and friends .......... not taken from news reports.

Shall we agree to disagree?

You will stop insulting me, and I will attempt to keep away from you
The viability and comprehensiveness of a health care system is of course of great importance to people as they become more senior. You're a victim of a country that bit off more than it can chew when it came to funding a universal health care system, that's nothing new in Canada, delusions of grandeur etc., but its a shame that the combination of changing funding priorities/realities and increased demand has caused you to suffer. That said, don't let the patronizing apologists of a creaking and increasingly unstable system get you down.
Old May 6th 2015, 9:33 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
I would agree with you there, I have worked with some fantastic nurse practioners in the UK where they were seen as the norm unlike here. If acceptance of them by patients, increased by public education then standards would hopefully improve as there would be more of them. Everyone has their skills and should be respected for those skills, often, as you say acquired over many years. Teamwork is much better all round.
That's one of the aspects I so enjoy about work. When teamwork works, when it all happens as it should and so the patients journey is smooth. It's a great feeling to be part of that group.

Re our earlier discussion about the number of views. It's the radiologists who decree that and they get paid for reporting the images, and this can vary according to the number of views.
Old May 6th 2015, 10:41 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That road would just lead to torment. It would never be conclusive and there'd be too many what ifs.
I agree with this. Very wise IMHO. Could have done that ref. my lovely Mum but decided in the end it would change nothing and only offer more pain.
Old May 6th 2015, 11:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I just came back from the doctor.......(walk in clinic, you understand....I don't personally know anyone who has a doctor in Fredericton...
Are you on the orphan list?

It was about a year wait for wife and kids when we moved to Moncton and the following year, when my PR came through, the same doc took me on immediately.
Old May 7th 2015, 12:22 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Scilly, the medical professionals on this thread seem to have really hit a nerve with you - what's the problem? You yourself have acknowledged that you got used to the way things used to be done, and that you were somewhat uncomfortable with the move towards evidence-based medicine. That is all that Stinkypup, Tirytory, Snoopdawg, and others have been talking about.

Stinkypup, in particular, made some comments about x-rays and that it's not usually a sign of good doctoring to get another one because "it's time..." - that was the exact phraseology that you had used in an earlier post.

Nobody has suggested, anywhere, that you have been "demanding" any of these tests or procedures. But the very fact that you had come to expect them means that you notice when they are not offered.

It is not coincidental that, in the same 40 years or so that you have experienced a decline in your perception of care, that all evidence points to greater longevity, generally better health outcomes for all sorts of ailments that used to be much more serious than they are, and all the societal implications of an aging population. It is due to the very success of healthcare systems that scarce resources now need to be managed more efficiently than they were a decade or more ago.

I really don't think anybody is having a go at you, and if you have chosen to be insulted then I think, frankly, that says more about your propensity to find offence than it does about any intention to cause it. But it might be wise to acknowledge that people who have practiced medicine in two countries with modern government-funded healthcare systems, and continue to undertake the required professional development as medical practitioners in Canada, probably have an inkling or two about their subject. Your experience, over however many years you have been living here, is entirely valid as one person's experience. It is, however, not a data set from which any conclusions can be drawn other than that it has been your individual experience.
You have made some excellent objective points. It was Snoopdawg that made the X-Ray comment, we do however look very similar tho she looks younger in her photo than I do

Last edited by Stinkypup; May 7th 2015 at 12:55 am.
Old May 7th 2015, 12:28 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

My appt was for 10 this morning and I arrived promptly at 10 though I usually go early. For the first time ever I was shown to an examination room almost immediately, seen within 10 minutes, was interviewed, bp checked, given medication and a req for fasting blood work and on my way home by 10:30. Sorry Millie!
Old May 7th 2015, 1:47 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Are you on the orphan list?

It was about a year wait for wife and kids when we moved to Moncton and the following year, when my PR came through, the same doc took me on immediately.
No Bristol, I had dinner with my neighbors last night and 'none' of us had a doctor. I 'did' have a doctor at the French Health Clinic, but he left and now 'none' of his clinic list have a doctor either. My kid, me, and my husband seem to be 'unlucky'...like everyone else that I know
Old May 7th 2015, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
The viability and comprehensiveness of a health care system is of course of great importance to people as they become more senior. You're a victim of a country that bit off more than it can chew when it came to funding a universal health care system, that's nothing new in Canada, delusions of grandeur etc., but its a shame that the combination of changing funding priorities/realities and increased demand has caused you to suffer. That said, don't let the patronizing apologists of a creaking and increasingly unstable system get you down.
Really? I hope you don't mean anyone on here!
Don't you think everyone who works in the Canadian healthcare system would love to see more money injected- but who will pay- will you pay more taxes??
So should we take money out of cancer care, or mental health, or prescriptions for the low paid to pay for physicals for the worried well?
Or should we practice evidence based medicine to protect the resources we have?
I'm assuming that those of you who work in the education field particularly universities understand about research and evidence or do you allow papers based on anecdotes?? I don't know, I left school many years ago and have lived in the real world ever since

Last edited by snoopdawg; May 7th 2015 at 3:08 am. Reason: Another pup insisted!!
Old May 7th 2015, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how many patients die in the UK because of not having an annual check-up? Do you? Does anyone?

It is one of those questions that can never be answered as there is no check ..............

Actually there has been- from probably the most respected medical websites Uptodate- used extensively by physicians in the USA, Canada and I suspect the UK etc now. It draws in the most up to date research and information- I use it constantly as do my colleagues.
I can't copy directly due to site rules but in brief- in 2014 a meta- analysis and systematic review of 6 randomized trials showed GP office based health checks did not decrease mortality and only slightly improved outcomes in such things as BP, weight, lipids- this was mainly in "high risk" patients whom we are allowed to do physicals on. I don't know where those studies were based but it was published in the UK.
In 2012 a Danish meta- analysis and systematic review of 16 trials (182,880 patients) -from trials worldwide it seems but mainly USA- concluded that general practice health checks did not reduce morbidity or mortality and were unlikely to be beneficial.
Old May 7th 2015, 3:42 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you .......... some research evidence at last

and without sarcasm
Old May 7th 2015, 4:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
Really? I hope you don't mean anyone on here!
Don't you think everyone who works in the Canadian healthcare system would love to see more money injected- but who will pay- will you pay more taxes??
So should we take money out of cancer care, or mental health, or prescriptions for the low paid to pay for physicals for the worried well?
Or should we practice evidence based medicine to protect the resources we have?
I'm assuming that those of you who work in the education field particularly universities understand about research and evidence or do you allow papers based on anecdotes?? I don't know, I left school many years ago and have lived in the real world ever since
Probably have to go to a mix of private and public? They need to find a solution as the status quo won't be sustainable forever, they already under fund so much including mental health which in some area's is nearly useless with the long waits, lack of doctors, and not covering treatments that in the long run would be cheaper, but MSP refuses to recognize medication alone won't solve people's mental health.

I'd be okay with a slight medical tax of some sort if the entire amount collected went to health care and not into the general fund.

The only benefit to the US system is speed, but the problem is the cost, if only there were a way to reduce cost but keep the speed.
Old May 7th 2015, 12:16 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

No Bristol, I had dinner with my neighbors last night and 'none' of us had a doctor. I 'did' have a doctor at the French Health Clinic, but he left and now 'none' of his clinic list have a doctor either. My kid, me, and my husband seem to be 'unlucky'...like everyone else that I know
So you ought to get on the orphan list then.
Unless you "get lucky" and find one to take you, nobody knows you need one.
Old May 7th 2015, 7:51 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

So you ought to get on the orphan list then.
Unless you "get lucky" and find one to take you, nobody knows you need one.
Oh thank you so much Bristol, you are kind, interesting (but depressing, article)...I didn't know it was called an 'orphan list', but yes, I am on it, but I'm not holding my breath!
Old May 7th 2015, 11:33 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thank you so much Bristol, you are kind, interesting (but depressing, article)...I didn't know it was called an 'orphan list', but yes, I am on it, but I'm not holding my breath!
Little Orphan Annie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.