Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

do you wish to keep the queen?

do you wish to keep the queen?

Old Apr 20th 2008, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute
Default do you wish to keep the queen?

Has not been an issue in this county so is it a matter of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7356994.stm
Old Apr 21st 2008, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do you wish to keep the queen?

Keep the Queen.

She's part of our heritage if nothing else.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:03 pm
Tootsie BattyFace

Littletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to beholdLittletashy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rwin
Keep the Queen.

She's part of our heritage if nothing else.
Bless her she's 82 today
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littletashy
Bless her she's 82 today
I have no problem with her as head of state. Most canadians don't either it seems.

Australians are more adamant though.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
I have no problem with her as head of state. Most canadians don't either it seems.

Australians are more adamant though.
I have no problem with the Queen either and that comes from someone who was brought up Catholic in Northern Ireland. I really don't see why people get their knickers in a knot over the whole thing.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:41 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Largely academic isnt it? Its seems unlikely the UK will ever get a choice, not in her lifetime anyway, and its hardly a hot political issue in Canada either.

Might as well be "Madge" on the money as anyone else.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
Largely academic isnt it? Its seems unlikely the UK will ever get a choice, not in her lifetime anyway, and its hardly a hot political issue in Canada either.

Might as well be "Madge" on the money as anyone else.
Used to be a minor non issue in Quebec back in the separatist-idelogy days. Then someone woke up to the fact she is only a figure head so no big deal!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:20 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the queen offers a good role model of how not to live life. She strikes me a woman who is so entirely bored... I'd like to cut her free if only so she can go be wild and do stupid things before she croaks.

Actually, I don't really care...
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:23 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

When I was little I thought that each family in the country got a chance to be the Royal Family. So Queenie, step out of the way, it is my turn now!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:26 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I think the queen offers a good role model of how not to live life. She strikes me a woman who is so entirely bored
You say that, but I bet she's got a wardrobe stuffed full of emerald-studded bondage gear. I'm sure she keeps Phil the Greek on a tight leash.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
When I was little I thought that each family in the country got a chance to be the Royal Family. So Queenie, step out of the way, it is my turn now!
How sweet. Sad that we have to grow up isn't it
Old Apr 21st 2008, 5:38 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
How sweet. Sad that we have to grow up isn't it
It sure is! That is what alchohol is for...!
Old Apr 21st 2008, 7:40 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
You say that, but I bet she's got a wardrobe stuffed full of emerald-studded bondage gear. I'm sure she keeps Phil the Greek on a tight leash.
leash? Nah, it's the carriage-driving get-up, innit? Head collar, running martingale, leather traces and a big carriage-whip. And the liveried footmen to keep him in line....

<feel slightly sick now>
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
leash? Nah, it's the carriage-driving get-up, innit? Head collar, running martingale, leather traces and a big carriage-whip. And the liveried footmen to keep him in line....

<feel slightly sick now>
You seem inordinately well informed.....
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Do I want to keep the Queen? No, I'm perfectly happy to let the British taxpayer do it, thank you all the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.