British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   do you wish to keep the queen? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/do-you-wish-keep-queen-530762/)

montreal mike Apr 20th 2008 4:04 pm

do you wish to keep the queen?

Has not been an issue in this county so is it a matter of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7356994.stm

rwin Apr 21st 2008 2:42 pm

Re: do you wish to keep the queen?

Keep the Queen.

She's part of our heritage if nothing else.

Littletashy Apr 21st 2008 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by rwin (Post 6243085)
Keep the Queen.

She's part of our heritage if nothing else.

Bless her she's 82 today:thumbsup:

montreal mike Apr 21st 2008 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Littletashy (Post 6243172)
Bless her she's 82 today:thumbsup:

I have no problem with her as head of state. Most canadians don't either it seems.

Australians are more adamant though.

Elaine B. Apr 21st 2008 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by montreal mike (Post 6243283)
I have no problem with her as head of state. Most canadians don't either it seems.

Australians are more adamant though.

I have no problem with the Queen either and that comes from someone who was brought up Catholic in Northern Ireland. I really don't see why people get their knickers in a knot over the whole thing.

iaink Apr 21st 2008 3:41 pm

Largely academic isnt it? Its seems unlikely the UK will ever get a choice, not in her lifetime anyway, and its hardly a hot political issue in Canada either.

Might as well be "Madge" on the money as anyone else.

montreal mike Apr 21st 2008 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 6243360)
Largely academic isnt it? Its seems unlikely the UK will ever get a choice, not in her lifetime anyway, and its hardly a hot political issue in Canada either.

Might as well be "Madge" on the money as anyone else.

Used to be a minor non issue in Quebec back in the separatist-idelogy days. Then someone woke up to the fact she is only a figure head so no big deal!

hot wasabi peas Apr 21st 2008 5:20 pm

I think the queen offers a good role model of how not to live life. She strikes me a woman who is so entirely bored... I'd like to cut her free if only so she can go be wild and do stupid things before she croaks.

Actually, I don't really care... :lol:

AmyDavid Apr 21st 2008 5:23 pm

When I was little I thought that each family in the country got a chance to be the Royal Family. So Queenie, step out of the way, it is my turn now!

bazzz Apr 21st 2008 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas (Post 6243880)
I think the queen offers a good role model of how not to live life. She strikes me a woman who is so entirely bored

You say that, but I bet she's got a wardrobe stuffed full of emerald-studded bondage gear. I'm sure she keeps Phil the Greek on a tight leash.

destinationnovascotia Apr 21st 2008 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 6243892)
When I was little I thought that each family in the country got a chance to be the Royal Family. So Queenie, step out of the way, it is my turn now!

How sweet. Sad that we have to grow up isn't it:D

AmyDavid Apr 21st 2008 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia (Post 6243936)
How sweet. Sad that we have to grow up isn't it:D

It sure is! That is what alchohol is for...!

Oakvillian Apr 21st 2008 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by bazzz (Post 6243909)
You say that, but I bet she's got a wardrobe stuffed full of emerald-studded bondage gear. I'm sure she keeps Phil the Greek on a tight leash.

leash? Nah, it's the carriage-driving get-up, innit? Head collar, running martingale, leather traces and a big carriage-whip. And the liveried footmen to keep him in line....

<feel slightly sick now>

macadian Apr 21st 2008 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 6244462)
leash? Nah, it's the carriage-driving get-up, innit? Head collar, running martingale, leather traces and a big carriage-whip. And the liveried footmen to keep him in line....

<feel slightly sick now>

You seem inordinately well informed.....:blink::blink:;)

Novocastrian Apr 21st 2008 9:48 pm

Do I want to keep the Queen? No, I'm perfectly happy to let the British taxpayer do it, thank you all the same.