British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   do you wish to keep the queen? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/do-you-wish-keep-queen-530762/)

montreal mike Apr 20th 2008 4:04 am

do you wish to keep the queen?

Has not been an issue in this county so is it a matter of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/7356994.stm

rwin Apr 21st 2008 2:42 am

Re: do you wish to keep the queen?

Keep the Queen.

She's part of our heritage if nothing else.

Littletashy Apr 21st 2008 3:03 am

Originally Posted by rwin (Post 6243085)
Keep the Queen.

She's part of our heritage if nothing else.

Bless her she's 82 today:thumbsup:

montreal mike Apr 21st 2008 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Littletashy (Post 6243172)
Bless her she's 82 today:thumbsup:

I have no problem with her as head of state. Most canadians don't either it seems.

Australians are more adamant though.

Elaine B. Apr 21st 2008 3:37 am

Originally Posted by montreal mike (Post 6243283)
I have no problem with her as head of state. Most canadians don't either it seems.

Australians are more adamant though.

I have no problem with the Queen either and that comes from someone who was brought up Catholic in Northern Ireland. I really don't see why people get their knickers in a knot over the whole thing.

iaink Apr 21st 2008 3:41 am

Largely academic isnt it? Its seems unlikely the UK will ever get a choice, not in her lifetime anyway, and its hardly a hot political issue in Canada either.

Might as well be "Madge" on the money as anyone else.

montreal mike Apr 21st 2008 3:47 am

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 6243360)
Largely academic isnt it? Its seems unlikely the UK will ever get a choice, not in her lifetime anyway, and its hardly a hot political issue in Canada either.

Might as well be "Madge" on the money as anyone else.

Used to be a minor non issue in Quebec back in the separatist-idelogy days. Then someone woke up to the fact she is only a figure head so no big deal!

hot wasabi peas Apr 21st 2008 5:20 am

I think the queen offers a good role model of how not to live life. She strikes me a woman who is so entirely bored... I'd like to cut her free if only so she can go be wild and do stupid things before she croaks.

Actually, I don't really care... :lol:

AmyDavid Apr 21st 2008 5:23 am

When I was little I thought that each family in the country got a chance to be the Royal Family. So Queenie, step out of the way, it is my turn now!

bazzz Apr 21st 2008 5:26 am

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas (Post 6243880)
I think the queen offers a good role model of how not to live life. She strikes me a woman who is so entirely bored

You say that, but I bet she's got a wardrobe stuffed full of emerald-studded bondage gear. I'm sure she keeps Phil the Greek on a tight leash.

destinationnovascotia Apr 21st 2008 5:34 am

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 6243892)
When I was little I thought that each family in the country got a chance to be the Royal Family. So Queenie, step out of the way, it is my turn now!

How sweet. Sad that we have to grow up isn't it:D

AmyDavid Apr 21st 2008 5:38 am

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia (Post 6243936)
How sweet. Sad that we have to grow up isn't it:D

It sure is! That is what alchohol is for...!

Oakvillian Apr 21st 2008 7:40 am

Originally Posted by bazzz (Post 6243909)
You say that, but I bet she's got a wardrobe stuffed full of emerald-studded bondage gear. I'm sure she keeps Phil the Greek on a tight leash.

leash? Nah, it's the carriage-driving get-up, innit? Head collar, running martingale, leather traces and a big carriage-whip. And the liveried footmen to keep him in line....

<feel slightly sick now>

macadian Apr 21st 2008 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 6244462)
leash? Nah, it's the carriage-driving get-up, innit? Head collar, running martingale, leather traces and a big carriage-whip. And the liveried footmen to keep him in line....

<feel slightly sick now>

You seem inordinately well informed.....:blink::blink:;)

Novocastrian Apr 21st 2008 9:48 am

Do I want to keep the Queen? No, I'm perfectly happy to let the British taxpayer do it, thank you all the same.

edsask Apr 21st 2008 10:29 am

Canadians do pay, too, albeit not directly to the Queen. Who else pays for Rideau Hall, Governor General, Lieutenant Governors, their staffs, etc.? It's only a few dollars a year, but still.

Almost Canadian Apr 21st 2008 10:53 am

Originally Posted by edsask (Post 6245184)
Canadians do pay, too, albeit not directly to the Queen. Who else pays for Rideau Hall, Governor General, Lieutenant Governors, their staffs, etc.? It's only a few dollars a year, but still.

Your argument is a little misconceived as these entities are, in reality, the Canadian Heads of State which, absent a Queen, are likely to be required anyway :eek:

Piff Poff Apr 21st 2008 11:28 am

I like all the pomp and tradition - lets keep the Queen.

Novocastrian Apr 21st 2008 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by edsask (Post 6245184)

Yea, well you need summat I suppose. But at least we don't have all the rest of them prats to support as well.

gingnut Apr 21st 2008 5:59 pm

No, Michelle Jean needs to get a real job.