Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

do you indulge in spanking

do you indulge in spanking

Old Oct 6th 2008, 3:44 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: do you indulge in spanking

Originally Posted by Maria10
Still shocked that a modern country like Canada makes such primitive method of discipline legal.
Just because the law is on the books doesn't mean it is a practice in mainstream school systems across the country.

It is asinine to suggest it is.

Here is part of the dicipline policy for the Calgary Board of Education.

When disciplining a student, a teacher or principal must not use (my emphasis)
(a) physical threats or attacks upon the student,
(b) corporal punishment,
(c) mass detention and mass punishment aimed at unspecified individuals or groups,
(d) verbal attacks such as sarcasm, racial or personal references,
(e) deliberate humiliation,
(f) removal of the student’s lunch break, or
(g) removal of access to the program of studies.

If you want to view the entire document it is here: http://www.cbe.ab.ca/policies/policies/AR6001.pdf
Old Oct 6th 2008, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Just because the law is on the books doesn't mean it is a practice in mainstream school systems across the country.

It is asinine to suggest it is.

Here is part of the dicipline policy for the Calgary Board of Education.

When disciplining a student, a teacher or principal must not use (my emphasis)
(a) physical threats or attacks upon the student,
(b) corporal punishment,
(c) mass detention and mass punishment aimed at unspecified individuals or groups,
(d) verbal attacks such as sarcasm, racial or personal references,
(e) deliberate humiliation,
(f) removal of the student’s lunch break, or
(g) removal of access to the program of studies.

If you want to view the entire document it is here: http://www.cbe.ab.ca/policies/policies/AR6001.pdf
No wonder UK trained teachers have difficulty finding work in Canada
Old Oct 6th 2008, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Maria10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Steve, thanks for that info. So it depends on the province or is just one of those laws nobody takes on?
Old Oct 6th 2008, 8:50 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maria10
Steve, thanks for that info. So it depends on the province or is just one of those laws nobody takes on?
The latter.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Maria10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, I got scared for a moment.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:16 am
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

The UK government obviously dont see a problem.

http://news.aol.co.uk/smacking-ban-f...16590097194075
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

from the link above

Current rules make it illegal for a parent to smack a child if it leaves a bruise but permit a lighter smack or "reasonable chastisement".

Prime Minister Gordon Brown's spokesman said the Government was clear on the need to safeguard the interests of children but did not support an all-out ban on smacking.

makes perfect sense to me
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:26 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
from the link above

Current rules make it illegal for a parent to smack a child if it leaves a bruise but permit a lighter smack or "reasonable chastisement".

Prime Minister Gordon Brown's spokesman said the Government was clear on the need to safeguard the interests of children but did not support an all-out ban on smacking.

makes perfect sense to me
It's not so much that it makes perfect sense to you but what makes perfect sense to some other parents.

Unfortunately when you have a vague legislation such as the above - then who defines reasonable chastisement.

My point is that everybody is brought up knowing right / wrong, good / bad based on views held by their parents.

For instance my parents defined reasonable chastisement as walloping me with a belt - whereas some would recoil in horror at that (much as I did when on the receiving end.!)

And another thing to bear in mind is that some people bruise very easily - where others don't.

Its such a grey area unfortunately that I don't have an answer to - I only go by my own guidelines and hope that they are good ones, which I think is all any responsible parent can do.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I kinda like the bit about the bruise, assuming the spank is on the bum of course. If dad or mum bruises a child, chances are they gave the kid a nasty whack, which is not right,
Old Oct 8th 2008, 1:46 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
Actually I kinda like the bit about the bruise, assuming the spank is on the bum of course. If dad or mum bruises a child, chances are they gave the kid a nasty whack, which is not right,
I agree but in the same respect i only have to look at something hard (no funnies meant there!) and i bruise - so it wouldn't be a whack by other peoples standards.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 2:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

I agree that some will bruise easily and in those cases one should not be too quick to jump to conclusions that the parents are mistreating their kids.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 3:02 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

If your kid is one of those ones who bruise easily, just hit them on the head, where the hair will hide any marks.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 1:03 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

It's suddenly got a little warm in here hasn't it?
Old Jul 6th 2009, 4:34 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I've come late to this thread and do not feel inclined to read all 11 pages, but last night I was watching one of those TV programs about training problem dogs, and there was a wonderful soppy golden lab who (it was said) was completely untrainable.

The remedial guy took him home and set about trying to teach him to sit. The dog was all over everything and ate everything else, all in a very amiable manner. At no time did the guy try to tell the dog "NO" or chastise him, but patiently waited until a correct behaviour was demonstrated, usually randomly, and then rewarded him with treats.

The dog soon began to pick up that certain behaviours got rewards, and I didn't see the end result, but you could tell that it was working, and quickly. Negative behaviours were ignored, and positive behaviours rewarded.

I believe the same works with children. I wish I could say I never smacked mine. I smacked the first boy far too much in his early years and that was poor parenting and lack of self-control on my part. The younger one I hit once that I remember. Again it was because I lost my temper, and it was a big shock to both of us! Incidentally (or not) I have a much closer relationship with my younger. (but am gradually growing closer to the elder boy, which is great)
Old Jul 6th 2009, 6:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
I've come late to this thread and do not feel inclined to read all 11 pages, but last night I was watching one of those TV programs about training problem dogs, and there was a wonderful soppy golden lab who (it was said) was completely untrainable.

The remedial guy took him home and set about trying to teach him to sit. The dog was all over everything and ate everything else, all in a very amiable manner. At no time did the guy try to tell the dog "NO" or chastise him, but patiently waited until a correct behaviour was demonstrated, usually randomly, and then rewarded him with treats.

The dog soon began to pick up that certain behaviours got rewards, and I didn't see the end result, but you could tell that it was working, and quickly. Negative behaviours were ignored, and positive behaviours rewarded.

I believe the same works with children. I wish I could say I never smacked mine. I smacked the first boy far too much in his early years and that was poor parenting and lack of self-control on my part. The younger one I hit once that I remember. Again it was because I lost my temper, and it was a big shock to both of us! Incidentally (or not) I have a much closer relationship with my younger. (but am gradually growing closer to the elder boy, which is great)

Agree totally, reward good behavior, set boundaries and stick to them, children need them to feel secure, they need to know you are in control in a nice way there is no need to smack them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.