Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Do I live on an Indian burial ground?

Do I live on an Indian burial ground?

Old Feb 20th 2010, 11:07 pm
Jedi Master

Devil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really nice
Default Re: Do I live on an Indian burial ground?

Originally Posted by triumphguy
I'd be more worried about the dead Scots!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FgsPzydgzxE&feature=related
that was fantastic. His stories were great, my favorites being the old empty barn and his cursed friend

Good luck in finding out whether or not your home is on burial ground.

Though I do not live on burial ground and I have had plenty of weird dreams (Like the dream where Tom Cruise was trying to garrote me )

Last edited by Devil Girl; Feb 20th 2010 at 11:11 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2010, 3:47 am
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

Has she been smoking some of the things you confiscated at work?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rae
Firstly I want the 'Jerry Springer' award for this thread title. Secondly any realtor type people out there who may know this information and where I may gather it. Tried the usual basic searches but nothing concrete coming up with regard to mapping or lat long co-ords.

Below is the article that has concerned my wife. Building work has started next to and opposite us and over the last few weeks she has been having some very bad dreams. I put this down to cheese, she puts it down to the spirits of long dead indians being disturbed. So of course now I need to check as clearly the latter is the more obvious answer.

In 2000, residents of Edmonton, Alberta learned that a city-owned power plant had been built over a mixed graveyard in which at least 130 Blackfoot, Cree and Metis, French, Scottish and English had been buried between 1823 and 1879. Most of the graves had been paved over as a road. That year, power plant officials announced they planned an expansion that would have disturbed the graves even further. With the support of local community groups, members of the Blood First Nation helped lead opposition to the power plant expansion. The city now plans to close the road, and has agreed that bodies that were exhumed during previous construction will be re-buried. However, the city indicates that there are at least three other unregistered graveyards within city limits, including one beneath land designated for a school. It is estimated that there are some 230 similar burial grounds throughout the province, none of which are protected under the Alberta Cemeteries Act
This is so cool

You should call that guy from Paranormal and get on TV, go on
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 4:43 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pammy
This is so cool

You should call that guy from Paranormal and get on TV, go on
Anyone see that dolls eyes open on Destination Truth last night, spooky stuff!
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of lightPammy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by GavinR
Anyone see that dolls eyes open on Destination Truth last night, spooky stuff!

NO, can I get it off the net somewhere, what is Destination Truth?
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 6:42 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Try here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEcg_nWs_Q0
Old Feb 27th 2010, 5:27 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Japonica
Hmm...in St.Albert somewhere? The only large unmarked burial site I'm aware of is the one behind the grotto of the church by the old mission. It's a mass grave full of smallpox victims from the 1860s...but it's obviously protected--there's condos around it, but you'll notice...hey why is all that prime real estate just a big field?

I worked on that project on behalf of the City of Edmonton...the Rossdale Flats/Fort Edmonton cemetery. I led a team documenting oral histories of Aboriginal elders and community members pertaining to the area. That particular site is both an old fur trade era cemetery (Fort Edmonton) and an Aboriginal burial site. It extends well beyond the location that was designated (re-dedicated as) a cemetery.

I could put you in touch with someone who has a substantial amount of knowledge in this area...she was the project manager for the Rossdale project, did a MA thesis on this topic, is Aboriginal, is very well versed in local history, and is very knowledgeable about Aboriginal cemeteries/repatriation issues etc. PM me if you're interested.
i had a response from your friend, thanks again very nice of you both. i am pleased to report that i do not live on or near an indian burial ground. unfortunately this does mean my wife may possibly be deranged, but then she does live with me i suppose.
Old Feb 28th 2010, 12:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
i had a response from your friend, thanks again very nice of you both. i am pleased to report that i do not live on or near an indian burial ground. unfortunately this does mean my wife may possibly be deranged, but then she does live with me i suppose.
Glad to hear that...about the burial site I mean...