Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Do I live on an Indian burial ground?

Do I live on an Indian burial ground?

Old Feb 18th 2010, 3:43 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do I live on an Indian burial ground?

Firstly I want the 'Jerry Springer' award for this thread title. Secondly any realtor type people out there who may know this information and where I may gather it. Tried the usual basic searches but nothing concrete coming up with regard to mapping or lat long co-ords.

Below is the article that has concerned my wife. Building work has started next to and opposite us and over the last few weeks she has been having some very bad dreams. I put this down to cheese, she puts it down to the spirits of long dead indians being disturbed. So of course now I need to check as clearly the latter is the more obvious answer.

In 2000, residents of Edmonton, Alberta learned that a city-owned power plant had been built over a mixed graveyard in which at least 130 Blackfoot, Cree and Metis, French, Scottish and English had been buried between 1823 and 1879. Most of the graves had been paved over as a road. That year, power plant officials announced they planned an expansion that would have disturbed the graves even further. With the support of local community groups, members of the Blood First Nation helped lead opposition to the power plant expansion. The city now plans to close the road, and has agreed that bodies that were exhumed during previous construction will be re-buried. However, the city indicates that there are at least three other unregistered graveyards within city limits, including one beneath land designated for a school. It is estimated that there are some 230 similar burial grounds throughout the province, none of which are protected under the Alberta Cemeteries Act
Old Feb 18th 2010, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I live on an Indian burial ground?

I'd be more worried about the dead Scots!

Old Feb 18th 2010, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMountain Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
Firstly I want the 'Jerry Springer' award for this thread title. Secondly any realtor type people out there who may know this information and where I may gather it. Tried the usual basic searches but nothing concrete coming up with regard to mapping or lat long co-ords.

Below is the article that has concerned my wife. Building work has started next to and opposite us and over the last few weeks she has been having some very bad dreams. I put this down to cheese, she puts it down to the spirits of long dead indians being disturbed. So of course now I need to check as clearly the latter is the more obvious answer.
Spooky ....... perhaps she should try a dream catcher.

http://www.dream-catchers.org/
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:02 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Just reassure your wife that she's over-reacting, cook her a nice meal, and then sit down with a bottle of wine and watch a DVD of "Poltergeist".
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:07 pm
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

rent "The Ring" movies and watch right before bed time. She'll love it.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 4:09 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

seen both the above, i'm sure they have their part to play. there must be some way of confirming this though surely?
Old Feb 18th 2010, 5:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
seen both the above, i'm sure they have their part to play. there must be some way of confirming this though surely?
Start digging in the backyard?
Old Feb 18th 2010, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the nearest reserve. Take a pouch of tobacco. Ask to talk to an elder (actually the oldest person not just an elder). Present the tobacco. Ask your question.

Seriously. I worked with adult native offenders in the past, and learned some of the etiquette involved in talking to elders.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:50 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Go to the nearest reserve. Take a pouch of tobacco. Ask to talk to an elder (actually the oldest person not just an elder). Present the tobacco. Ask your question.

Seriously. I worked with adult native offenders in the past, and learned some of the etiquette involved in talking to elders.
BC bud works well too.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:14 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Start digging in the backyard?
can you imagine what the reaction would be if i did and brought up some bones. i'd be in a motel for the next 6mths. perhaps ignorance is bliss?
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:17 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by triumphguy

i'm sure this is a good suggestion, but i have no idea where i would go around here, hobema i think but this is miles away? not sure i'd feel comfortable doing it either.
Old Feb 18th 2010, 10:56 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Hmm, I must admit, do you really want to know? 6 months in a motel might be the least of your worries if the First Nation involved decide they want their burial ground back.

On another note, tell us more about these dreams!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
i'm sure this is a good suggestion, but i have no idea where i would go around here, hobema i think but this is miles away? not sure i'd feel comfortable doing it either.
Especially not in your uniform

Linda
Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rae
You could go to the Native Friendship Centre near the Royal Alex in Edmonton and ask there. And they would treat you with respect for asking in that way. It would certainly add to your store of Canadian experience!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
can you imagine what the reaction would be if i did and brought up some bones. i'd be in a motel for the next 6mths. perhaps ignorance is bliss?

Dunno. Ask the missus.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.