Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Do I live on an Indian burial ground?

Do I live on an Indian burial ground?

Old Feb 18th 2010, 11:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I live on an Indian burial ground?

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Go to the nearest reserve. Take a pouch of tobacco. Ask to talk to an elder (actually the oldest person not just an elder). Present the tobacco. Ask your question.

Seriously. I worked with adult native offenders in the past, and learned some of the etiquette involved in talking to elders.
Some of the houses near me were built on Chumash graves, and apparently a ritual was performed by Native American representatives at the time. Could be worth looking into.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Think it's best if you stick with the cheese theory.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

I stayed at The Overlook Hotel in Colorado a few years ago, and that was a very interesting experience. It was built in 1907 in the Rocky Mountains, 40 miles west of Sidewinder, Colorado. During construction, workers discovered an ancient Indian burial ground on the site and human remains were unearthed and removed to another location. Following this, a number of mysterious deaths occurred during the building of the hotel, inspiring local tales of vengeful Indian spirits angry about the disturbance of their resting place. The Overlook Hotel was completed in 1909 and opened to the public in 1910. Whilst there, I spent a great deal of time in the fabulous "Gold Room," chatting with Lloyd, the bartender at that time - don't ever order the Advocaat. I stayed in room #237, a supposedly haunted room. I had no problems with this room.

http://www.timberlinelodge.com/
Old Feb 19th 2010, 2:44 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dthomas
I stayed at The Overlook Hotel in Colorado a few years ago, and that was a very interesting experience. It was built in 1907 in the Rocky Mountains, 40 miles west of Sidewinder, Colorado. During construction, workers discovered an ancient Indian burial ground on the site and human remains were unearthed and removed to another location. Following this, a number of mysterious deaths occurred during the building of the hotel, inspiring local tales of vengeful Indian spirits angry about the disturbance of their resting place. The Overlook Hotel was completed in 1909 and opened to the public in 1910. Whilst there, I spent a great deal of time in the fabulous "Gold Room," chatting with Lloyd, the bartender at that time - don't ever order the Advocaat. I stayed in room #237, a supposedly haunted room. I had no problems with this room.

http://www.timberlinelodge.com/
http://www.vagabondish.com/wp-conten...tel-tshirt.jpg
ok, did you see redrum in the bathroom mirror at any point
Old Feb 19th 2010, 2:45 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

You could go to the Native Friendship Centre near the Royal Alex in Edmonton and ask there. And they would treat you with respect for asking in that way. It would certainly add to your store of Canadian experience!
you know i think i will actually try this, out of interest if nothing else, i'll let you know.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 2:47 am
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by GavinR
Hmm, I must admit, do you really want to know? 6 months in a motel might be the least of your worries if the First Nation involved decide they want their burial ground back.

On another note, tell us more about these dreams!
our daughter standing next to her with no eyes, just bright lights where they should be. poked and prodded till she woke up. large man with white hair and beard stood next to the bed leaning over her. these are the latest.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 2:51 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

You could go to the Native Friendship Centre near the Royal Alex in Edmonton and ask there. And they would treat you with respect for asking in that way. It would certainly add to your store of Canadian experience!
Originally Posted by rae
you know i think i will actually try this, out of interest if nothing else, i'll let you know.
If you go in there and tell them Geronimo is haunting your gaff there's a fair chance you could end up in the Royal Alex
Old Feb 19th 2010, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
Firstly I want the 'Jerry Springer' award for this thread title. Secondly any realtor type people out there who may know this information and where I may gather it. Tried the usual basic searches but nothing concrete coming up with regard to mapping or lat long co-ords.

Below is the article that has concerned my wife. Building work has started next to and opposite us and over the last few weeks she has been having some very bad dreams. I put this down to cheese, she puts it down to the spirits of long dead indians being disturbed. So of course now I need to check as clearly the latter is the more obvious answer.

In 2000, residents of Edmonton, Alberta learned that a city-owned power plant had been built over a mixed graveyard in which at least 130 Blackfoot, Cree and Metis, French, Scottish and English had been buried between 1823 and 1879. Most of the graves had been paved over as a road. That year, power plant officials announced they planned an expansion that would have disturbed the graves even further. With the support of local community groups, members of the Blood First Nation helped lead opposition to the power plant expansion. The city now plans to close the road, and has agreed that bodies that were exhumed during previous construction will be re-buried. However, the city indicates that there are at least three other unregistered graveyards within city limits, including one beneath land designated for a school. It is estimated that there are some 230 similar burial grounds throughout the province, none of which are protected under the Alberta Cemeteries Act
Hmm...in St.Albert somewhere? The only large unmarked burial site I'm aware of is the one behind the grotto of the church by the old mission. It's a mass grave full of smallpox victims from the 1860s...but it's obviously protected--there's condos around it, but you'll notice...hey why is all that prime real estate just a big field?

I worked on that project on behalf of the City of Edmonton...the Rossdale Flats/Fort Edmonton cemetery. I led a team documenting oral histories of Aboriginal elders and community members pertaining to the area. That particular site is both an old fur trade era cemetery (Fort Edmonton) and an Aboriginal burial site. It extends well beyond the location that was designated (re-dedicated as) a cemetery.

I could put you in touch with someone who has a substantial amount of knowledge in this area...she was the project manager for the Rossdale project, did a MA thesis on this topic, is Aboriginal, is very well versed in local history, and is very knowledgeable about Aboriginal cemeteries/repatriation issues etc. PM me if you're interested.

Last edited by Japonica; Feb 19th 2010 at 8:03 am.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 7:58 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
Building work has started next to and opposite us and over the last few weeks she has been having some very bad dreams. I put this down to cheese, she puts it down to the spirits of long dead indians being disturbed. So of course now I need to check as clearly the latter is the more obvious answer.
I'm agog that any sane person believes this nonsense. Indian spirits... hahaha... no really... hahaha.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 12:35 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. If all the dead Indians do have spirits, I think, in the big scheme of things, they've got bigger issues to be angry about with the ol' palefaces than somebody building a house on Granny.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

dthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond reputedthomas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
ok, did you see redrum in the bathroom mirror at any point
No! But I had a chance romantic rendezvous in en-suite with a complete stranger.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 2:18 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rae
our daughter standing next to her with no eyes, just bright lights where they should be. poked and prodded till she woke up. large man with white hair and beard stood next to the bed leaning over her. these are the latest.
That is kind of wierd!
Old Feb 19th 2010, 4:24 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by GavinR
That is kind of wierd!
no shit
Old Feb 19th 2010, 4:27 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I'm agog that any sane person believes this nonsense. Indian spirits... hahaha... no really... hahaha.
look i know its bollox, but have you never had this conversation with a woman, when all rational logic goes out of the window. its the same as the question, does my arse look big in this? no it looks f+++ing massive, you think, you say, no of course not.
so i look into this, show its rubbish and life moves on.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 4:27 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Japonica
Hmm...in St.Albert somewhere? The only large unmarked burial site I'm aware of is the one behind the grotto of the church by the old mission. It's a mass grave full of smallpox victims from the 1860s...but it's obviously protected--there's condos around it, but you'll notice...hey why is all that prime real estate just a big field?

I worked on that project on behalf of the City of Edmonton...the Rossdale Flats/Fort Edmonton cemetery. I led a team documenting oral histories of Aboriginal elders and community members pertaining to the area. That particular site is both an old fur trade era cemetery (Fort Edmonton) and an Aboriginal burial site. It extends well beyond the location that was designated (re-dedicated as) a cemetery.

I could put you in touch with someone who has a substantial amount of knowledge in this area...she was the project manager for the Rossdale project, did a MA thesis on this topic, is Aboriginal, is very well versed in local history, and is very knowledgeable about Aboriginal cemeteries/repatriation issues etc. PM me if you're interested.
nice one thanks, finally a sensible answer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.