Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Digital Media Players - tips?

Digital Media Players - tips?

Old Apr 3rd 2017, 8:29 am
Just Joined

OtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Digital Media Players - tips?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
A quick google shows a couple of versions of Chromecast. The basic one sounds good enough but the 'ultra' version which is probably way too good has ethernet capability (some kind of adaptor) as well as wi-fi.
The original version can have ethernet as well (I've got two of them, both with ethernet adapters). They're baslcally replacement plugs with the ethernet bits built in.

So I'm wondering if the results - particularly live footie - might be better with the Ultra version. What are the practical parts of that?
The ultra isn't going to be much different unless you can stream 4K. If you're worried about your connection, that sounds like it might be a problem.

Or is the ethernet connected to the gadget.
The ethernet is connected to the chromecast. With a Chromecast, the stream itself doesn't usually come from the laptop (except for videos which are actually stored on the laptop) - the laptop tells the Chromecast to stream a specific URL.

If the streaming is good enough for the laptop and an HDMI cable will transfer that to the TV, isn't the Chromecast or other gadget superfluous anyway?
Sure, but the benefit of the Chromecast is you can send something to your TV and still use whatever gadget you were using to send the thing. You can start the footie on your TV then come here to chat to everyone.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 12:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OtherDave
The ethernet is connected to the chromecast. With a Chromecast, the stream itself doesn't usually come from the laptop (except for videos which are actually stored on the laptop) - the laptop tells the Chromecast to stream a specific URL.
Ah. Gottit.
...the benefit of the Chromecast is you can send something to your TV and still use whatever gadget you were using to send the thing.
Yes, that's the only "advantage" I thought of but since I'd be doing this to view something I want to see, I would actually want to see it rather than do something else.
You can start the footie on your TV then come here to chat to everyone.
And miss the footie.

Of course, I can accept that it could be set up for someone else to view while the laptop remained accessible for the non viewer but we all have our own laptops so each could use their own anyway.

Also, last year I bought an old refurbished 10" Netbook for $60. I bought it with several possible uses in mind. There's now an additional use in that it could become the permanent link to the TV.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

OtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond reputeOtherDave has a reputation beyond repute

And miss the footie.
Sounds good to me, but then I'm a filthy egg-chasing fan.

Also, last year I bought an old refurbished 10" Netbook for $60. I bought it with several possible uses in mind. There's now an additional use in that it could become the permanent link to the TV.
If you don't have a smartphone, then the Chromecast makes a little less sense. Think of it like an internet receiver, with your phone as the controller.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 12:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OtherDave
Sounds good to me, but then I'm a filthy egg-chasing fan.
I watch that too...at least the internationals.
If you don't have a smartphone...
I'm fairly smart without one
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
How do you get BBC iplayer to stream using the Apple TV? Isn't it blocked? It seems to be from my ipad
Can't argue with DannyB's instructions, I'm not techie enough but I'll tell you how I stream BBC iPlayer from my iPad.
Download Chrome Web Browser App to your Pad. On this you'll be able to cast BBC and ITV to TV. via Apple TV or Chromecast.
1) on browser bar open up Unblockus.com. You'll need to follow instructions there on how to change some settings on the iPad. I think it costs $4.99 per month. On the page you should see a video available to do with your Pad to show you how to change the settings. You'll need something like this or this to stop the blocking of the service.
2) enter BBC iPlayer on browser bar. Click on response page to open the player. It should appear on your page.
3) before you click on programme you wish to watch, go to Unblockus page, select the country you wish then recharge the page. It should confirm that the DNS is verified and you're linked to the UK. You can also download ITV player if you wish, although I watch that site on my laptop as I can't get CC for ITV on my Pad but can on laptop. I suspect something to do with Apple not doing FLASH.
Sometimes with BBC iPlayer I get a message on screen telling me the programme is not available to me. I just go tto Unblockus and recharge the chosen country setting. It works most times for me. If doesn't might need to repeat

I watch BBC iPlayer almost every day and the preceding works just fine for me.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 8:09 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
Can't argue with DannyB's instructions, I'm not techie enough but I'll tell you how I stream BBC iPlayer from my iPad.
Download Chrome Web Browser App to your Pad. On this you'll be able to cast BBC and ITV to TV. via Apple TV or Chromecast.
1) on browser bar open up Unblockus.com. You'll need to follow instructions there on how to change some settings on the iPad. I think it costs $4.99 per month. On the page you should see a video available to do with your Pad to show you how to change the settings. You'll need something like this or this to stop the blocking of the service.
2) enter BBC iPlayer on browser bar. Click on response page to open the player. It should appear on your page.
3) before you click on programme you wish to watch, go to Unblockus page, select the country you wish then recharge the page. It should confirm that the DNS is verified and you're linked to the UK. You can also download ITV player if you wish, although I watch that site on my laptop as I can't get CC for ITV on my Pad but can on laptop. I suspect something to do with Apple not doing FLASH.
Sometimes with BBC iPlayer I get a message on screen telling me the programme is not available to me. I just go tto Unblockus and recharge the chosen country setting. It works most times for me. If doesn't might need to repeat

I watch BBC iPlayer almost every day and the preceding works just fine for me.
Thank you for your answers. Now casting from Chrome browser is what I've been trying to do. We have unblockus set up on the modem and set to UK. I'll try refreshing it and see if it will work.