Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Digital Media Players - tips?

Digital Media Players - tips?

Old Apr 2nd 2017, 12:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Digital Media Players - tips?

I will shortly be entering the 21st century and should soon have a TV with HDMI/USB connectivity.

I have my doubts about streaming quality - mainly of the live footie/rugby kind. Despite a great FibreOptic internet service I've experienced the frustrations with buffering, other freezes and cut-outs and whatnots and I see no reason for it to be any better on a TV...although I do wonder if because the TV doesn't have to do all the other computer stuff, maybe it can be better.

But I'm willing to give it a try because other streaming is usually fine.

I know this has been talked about before but there are constant changes, not least of which is a recent court case.

I have a few points which I think are different to previous discussions.

The first issue is I have no smartphone or any kind of fancy phone. Also, there's no great desire to seek out UK or US versions of Netflix.

A quick google shows a couple of versions of Chromecast. The basic one sounds good enough but the 'ultra' version which is probably way too good has ethernet capability (some kind of adaptor) as well as wi-fi.

I've had recent experience of an old, slow netbook not being able to download updates until the ethernet was connected. I've also tested my main laptop for download speeds and the result looks better with the wire attached.

Not enough to be noticeable for normal surfing but maybe it's better for streaming?

So I'm wondering if the results - particularly live footie - might be better with the Ultra version. What are the practical parts of that?

I mean if the ethernet is connected to the laptop, how is the gadget recognising that and wouldn't the basic one recognise it?
Or is the ethernet connected to the gadget.

If the streaming is good enough for the laptop and an HDMI cable will transfer that to the TV, isn't the Chromecast or other gadget superfluous anyway?

Do other gadgets have similar ethernet capability?

For those who have experience of more than one kind, what's your preference and why?
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 3:45 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Digital Media Players - tips?

I know people that have those kodi android tv boxes and they swear by them. It's a bit murky legally though (and no, I don't have one - I just use my PS4 and the TV's smart features)
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 4:47 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I have a first edition Chromecast, works great on my iPad and phone. Haven't tried it on a laptop. I think it needs an app to work.
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 5:00 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

1. What speed internet are you on? upload and download are both important. I would suggest at least 30 down and 5 up if you plan to stream from the internet.

The internet speed will be your bottleneck.

2. What speed router do you have?
Forget a wired device, wireless is the way to go. Make sure you have an up to date router. 802.11ac is the fastest standard, 802.11n is the next best, if you still have 802.11b/g I would think about upgrading.
Whatever router you get, the wireless clients (laptop, TV etc) need to have the same speed adaptor to take advantage of the speed.

3. Do you plan to watch everything from your laptop or do you want to watch the stuff on your TV? If it is the latter, TV needs to have HDMI.
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 5:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
1. What speed internet are you on? upload and download are both important. I would suggest at least 30 down and 5 up if you plan to stream from the internet.
100/50.
But never close to that whenever I run a test. Except when I connect ethernet - it showed 127 once when I did that.

2. What speed router do you have?
Not a clue. Provided by BellAliant.

Forget a wired device, wireless is the way to go.
We are wireless. But I have read and seen practical examples that download speeds are better with ethernet connected.

3. Do you plan to watch everything from your laptop or do you want to watch the stuff on your TV? If it is the latter, TV needs to have HDMI.
I currently download, save and watch later. Others stream from their laptops.
New TV on the way does have HDMI.
I'm wondering why, if streaming is controlled by the laptop and an HDMI cable sends the result to the TV, why have a chromecast (or whatever gadget) that picks up the streaming from the laptop when it rather sounds like the same result.

And if wireless is best, why have a super chromecast device (Ultra, they call it) with ethernet capability in addition to wi-fi capability?
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 7:49 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
100/50.
But never close to that whenever I run a test. Except when I connect ethernet - it showed 127 once when I did that.

Not a clue. Provided by BellAliant.

We are wireless. But I have read and seen practical examples that download speeds are better with ethernet connected.

I currently download, save and watch later. Others stream from their laptops.
New TV on the way does have HDMI.
I'm wondering why, if streaming is controlled by the laptop and an HDMI cable sends the result to the TV, why have a chromecast (or whatever gadget) that picks up the streaming from the laptop when it rather sounds like the same result.

And if wireless is best, why have a super chromecast device (Ultra, they call it) with ethernet capability in addition to wi-fi capability?

So sounds like you have an excellent internet plan for streaming. 50 up is fantastic.

Depending on what device you ran the speed test on will account for the difference in speed.

Some old laptops have built in wireless 'G' which limits the output to 54mbps.
The latest WiFi cards (and routers) can run up to 800mbps so the only bottle neck will be your internet.

Sounds like your household has a mixture of ways to watch TV, same as us.

My Son sometimes connects his laptop via HDMI to our TV and we watch that way.

Sometimes I download a movie on my main computer, transfer to USB key and plug it in my Android box and watch it via the movie player app.

Other times (like last night watching Broad church) we just stream direct from our Android TV.

Watching Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Film On etc I do 100% from my Apple TV.

My suggestion would be to download Kodi on your laptop and add some sources. When I say sources, I mean illegal add ons. The ones that the government are trying to ban. If you need some how to guides let me know and I will send you a PM.
Exodus is probably one of the best. If you can handle watching TV from Kodi on your laptop, and are happy with the quality, you are ready to move on to stage 2.
Buy a device that is permanently plugged into your TV via HDMI and connected to your fast WiFi. Open Kodi and carry on doing what you were doing on your laptop but now you have it on your TV.

This device is the Ferrari of Android streamers https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shield-tv/
Something like this is mediocre and will work just fine https://www.amazon.ca/MXQ-Android-Pr...id+full+loaded

I don’t know much about Chrome devices as we are all Apple users and use our AppleTV to stream stuff from our handheld devices.

Hope that helps.
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 8:16 pm
Tea Drinker

I just googled the Chrome cast Ultra thing, looks like it does 4k and has ultra fast MISO Wifi which I have never heard of before.

https://www.google.com/intl/en_ca/ch...cover#products

If you plan on using it 100% for the built in apps, and screen casting, it looks like a good deal. If you want to watch those 'streams' I mentioned, not so good without a device sending the Kodi streams to the box.
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 10:53 pm
Oscar nominated

Hope that helps.
Very, very useful, thanks.

I am actually very happy watching on a laptop and I get to see what I want when I want, except sometimes I'd like a bigger screen. I recently bought a refurb all-in-one computer for just that reason. If all goes well with the new TVs (I bought 2 ) that might become redundant.

The long term aim is to convince the others in the house that we can do without the TV service. I need to be convinced that football streaming will be better than it is now. There's been quite an improvement over the last couple of years, so maybe in a couple of years time it will be okay.

Or maybe there will be a sports streaming service covering what I get now that will be worth paying for but will be cheaper than the usual costly TV package.

Small steps.
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 11:01 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

So sounds like you have an excellent internet plan for streaming. 50 up is fantastic.

Depending on what device you ran the speed test on will account for the difference in speed.

Some old laptops have built in wireless 'G' which limits the output to 54mbps.
The latest WiFi cards (and routers) can run up to 800mbps so the only bottle neck will be your internet.

Sounds like your household has a mixture of ways to watch TV, same as us.

My Son sometimes connects his laptop via HDMI to our TV and we watch that way.

Sometimes I download a movie on my main computer, transfer to USB key and plug it in my Android box and watch it via the movie player app.

Other times (like last night watching Broad church) we just stream direct from our Android TV.

Watching Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Film On etc I do 100% from my Apple TV.

My suggestion would be to download Kodi on your laptop and add some sources. When I say sources, I mean illegal add ons. The ones that the government are trying to ban. If you need some how to guides let me know and I will send you a PM.
Exodus is probably one of the best. If you can handle watching TV from Kodi on your laptop, and are happy with the quality, you are ready to move on to stage 2.
Buy a device that is permanently plugged into your TV via HDMI and connected to your fast WiFi. Open Kodi and carry on doing what you were doing on your laptop but now you have it on your TV.

This device is the Ferrari of Android streamers https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shield-tv/
Something like this is mediocre and will work just fine https://www.amazon.ca/MXQ-Android-Pr...id+full+loaded

I don’t know much about Chrome devices as we are all Apple users and use our AppleTV to stream stuff from our handheld devices.

Hope that helps.
How do you get BBC iplayer to stream using the Apple TV? Isn't it blocked? It seems to be from my ipad
Old Apr 2nd 2017, 11:12 pm
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by bats
How do you get BBC iplayer to stream using the Apple TV? Isn't it blocked? It seems to be from my ipad
You need 3 things.

1. UK iTunes account - free to create, just use a different email address from your CDN iTunes account. Example, yahoo.co.uk

2. The latest generation Apple TV, the model that lets you install apps.

3. Some kind of DNS switcher such as unblockus.

Once you have the above, go into the ATV settings and manually configure your DNS server to use the unblockus IP, or if it is at the router level you can ignore this step.

Switch your location to UK
Sign into your UK iTunes account
Browse the app store (on the ATV) and download BBC iPlayer
Sit back and enjoy the beeb

If you don't have the latest ATV, you can probably get it to work on your iPad but you will need to delete the CDN BBC app, sign into UK app store, download the UK version and then make sure your DNS region is set to UK when watching it.
It will be the same for all the UK TV apps, ITV, Ch4 etc. Only available in UK app store.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

We have 3 android tv boxes on a 50mb connection. For iplayer we use a free VPN - Hoxx - which works well. They do have Kodi on but we tend to use Filmon to stream UK tv and it rarely buffers. If it does it's only for about 3/5 seconds, so we curse it and it behaves itself! Yesterday watched andrew Marr, Nicky Campbell ,Andrew Neil and Bargain hunt - 4 hours in total with only one minor buffering! My son has a couple of apps on his box and watches all the UK footy. He watched the Merseyside Derby on Saturday evening without one hiccup! It has enabled us to get rid of the cable boxes saving a few thousand pesos a month.We did have to install a wireless repeater due to where our room is located relative to the main router - otherwise it would be a 30metre ethernet cable!
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, our boxes cost about £29 /$36 with Android 6 on.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 1:48 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

You need 3 things.

1. UK iTunes account - free to create, just use a different email address from your CDN iTunes account. Example, yahoo.co.uk

2. The latest generation Apple TV, the model that lets you install apps.

3. Some kind of DNS switcher such as unblockus.

Once you have the above, go into the ATV settings and manually configure your DNS server to use the unblockus IP, or if it is at the router level you can ignore this step.

Switch your location to UK
Sign into your UK iTunes account
Browse the app store (on the ATV) and download BBC iPlayer
Sit back and enjoy the beeb

If you don't have the latest ATV, you can probably get it to work on your iPad but you will need to delete the CDN BBC app, sign into UK app store, download the UK version and then make sure your DNS region is set to UK when watching it.
It will be the same for all the UK TV apps, ITV, Ch4 etc. Only available in UK app store.
It can't be done without a uk based credit card, I get switched back to the Canadian store.
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 3:01 am
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by bats
It can't be done without a uk based credit card, I get switched back to the Canadian store.
Try changing your unblockus to the UK and sign out of CDN store before you attempt anything.

There are several guides out there on how to do it, easier to link them here than me type. 2nd link is the one I followed a few years ago. Hopefully still works for you.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204034

How to register an UK itune account without a credit card : UnoTelly Customer Service
Old Apr 3rd 2017, 4:50 am
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

We use two Roku 3 boxes and UnoTelly to watch BBC, C4, C5 etc on the TV and also on the iPads because of UnoTelly.

It gets watched a lot more than Telus. I wonder if my wife would notice if I dropped a few bundles.....

We used to have a 25/5 connection, which resulted in some buffering (as did the rubbish Telus wireless router and extender). When we upgraded to a 50/10 connection, it improved a bit, but the biggest improvement was adding better wireless access points. Can't remember when we last suffered buffering - can even watch Live in HD, which is usually where your problems show up...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.