Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Deferral of Uni in Canada

Deferral of Uni in Canada

Old Jan 26th 2015, 1:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deferral of Uni in Canada

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Only way to fail was to simply not show up and suit up, otherwise you passed.
If only that applied to other subjects. I'd be a genius.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 1:57 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
That's what we like, some old-school prescription! (Well I like it.)

Not sure you can attend to Scottish universities without more residency though. At least if you live in rUK you need to be resident in Scotland for three years in order to qualify for free tuition. It may be different for Europe though?
on the 'married to an Aussie' thread on MBTTUK which Gozit posted to, is a post I made with details

Free education for EU citizens coming from the EU. Maybe there are some conditions imposed.

How much will it cost? | European Union |

from my post #73 IMO, Gozit to go that route 'fully Armed'

Last edited by not2old; Jan 26th 2015 at 2:18 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:12 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That's the one phrase I do remember from primary school. I think it was written under every subject I ever did, though not necessarily at the same time. I'm sure that was a standard approach to report writing.
confirmed, even when I had a 95% in one subject, it was still written

The 1950's stodgy school teacher, was the typical 'Mr. Chips' with a fetish for constant canning & throwing chalk & blackboard dusters... 'ouch not again'.

Anyone else, or was it just me ... 'you boy, get up here & pick your cane'....an all boys school of course.

My wife despised the Nuns, who were even worse - edge of ruler across the knuckles... whack! Nun asking her 'did that hurt', her response 'no'.... whack again.

They don't do those things today, or do they?

Last edited by not2old; Jan 26th 2015 at 2:19 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
confirmed, even when I had a 95% in one subject, it was still written
I once got something like 94 out of 97 in a spelling test (teacher thought we'd had enough and didn't go on to 100) and got an extra bottle of school milk.

The 1950's stodgy school teacher, was the typical 'Mr. Chips' with a fetish for constant canning & throwing chalk & blackboard dusters... 'ouch not again'.

Anyone else, or was it just me ... 'you boy, get up here & pick your cane'....an all boys school of course.
We definitely had the "you boy" thing, but no cane. 1960s/70s. A PE teacher used "the dap" and a Geography teacher had a T-Square called Gladys (he had it written on the long part) but he didn't whack it, it was more of an embarrassing ritual thing.

My wife despised the Nuns, who were even worse - edge of ruler across the knuckles... whack! Nun asking her 'did that hurt', her response 'no'.... whack again.
My mother in law was victim of that...for the sin of using her left hand to write with.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:49 pm
Dichotomus tinker

My mother in law was victim of that...for the sin of using her left hand to write with.
forgotten about the 'left hand'. My wife's sister (SIL) 'the lefty' was treated totally different because of it...nuns again said she had 'the devil in her' & you know what 'its so bloody true to this day', more the 'evil witch' I'd say

Memories of the good old school days, I wouldn't want to change any of it

The morning 'Reveille' sing along was 'The grand old Duke of York' has stuck with till this day.

http://www.scoutsongs.com/lyrics/grandoldduke.html

Anyone have theirs?

Last edited by not2old; Jan 26th 2015 at 2:58 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Grades for PE? The mind boggles. I don't even remember it being included in reports.

I was in the school rugby and football teams and all it ever got us was a trip to the varsity football match at Wembley (my first visit) which we had to pay for and watching the varsity rugby on telly one afternoon instead of lessons.
Yeah... PE mandatory in Gr 9 only for me, lets just say I didn't do well. (I also skipped about a third of the classes...)

A possible option for you, details sent to you in a PM

- Since you are an EU citizen, my suggestion is straight after HS back to Malta. Have a GAP year

- Establish yourself, residence card, health card, Tax #, work PT, live with your Grans

- Armed with your (high marks) Grade 12 diploma, apply as an EU citizen to Glasgow or Strathclyde university in Scotland to the Computer Science or Informatics Undergrad degree program. As an EU citizen you wont have to pay undergrad tuition fees

- Student accommodation in both universities is good & cheap ~approx 125Gbp/wk & I believe meals included

- The degree at both universities are end off/end on through BSc to MSc takes 5 years total to Masters. If you decide to finish just the undergrad science degree after 4 -years, Glasgow has a one-year LLM (Master degree in Law).

- If you are lifetime student material, why not continue to a Doctorate degree - just another couple years, or perhaps a one year UK 'Business/Marketing Masters degree?

Whatever your decision, do it for you

Imagine in 5 years you'll have achieved what you are contemplating, have your degrees, international life experience & likely working in Europe as an analyst/Lawyer. Intellectual property lawyer perhaps earning 200K/year by age 30
Thanks for that. That actually sounds brilliant... I seen your other post in that thread... Careful; if I use my EHIC to access the NHS formula might be very upset.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

P.S. Is that 200k in GBP?
Old Jan 26th 2015, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And don't forget if I spend the 6 years studying/living in UK i will also acquire British citizenship too. Also an asset
Old Jan 26th 2015, 4:07 pm
Dichotomus tinker

post # 81, 92, 83

YES, you triple dipped, strike 3

On the course see which are less Maths oriented. I believe Business (informatics) systems may be the route for you, then year MA Marketing (not the MBA) + the LLM if its all doable for you. All done, all in 6 years in the UK

Pick a University that requires less GPA entrance requirements, likely Glasgow or Strathclyde

There is also the UK college route with a one-year Bridge to Degree. With your Grade 12 you'd be able to do the 2-year FT HND (Technologist level) in computer whatever, then one year bridge to Degree, followed by the rest.

Sometimes depending on the course, college, university those with an HND can go straight to the post grad diploma with a bridge year course

Along these lines

HND COMPUTER SCIENCE | Glasgow Clyde College

YOU HAVE A COUPLE OF YEARS TO DECIDE, SO START NOW

In the mean time look at the HND studies. Some have practicums (slotted work terms) included in the courses

Good luck to you
Old Jan 26th 2015, 4:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Does anyone have actual experience with doing it? Any additional risks in applying a year later instead of bothering with deferred admissions?
Not me, but...

One of my children took a gap year after high school before applying to university in Canada (she worked for a year in CH) and then, after finishing her course, then applied to do a Masters then, after being accepted, deferred that for a year. Another took a one year university course (the Foundation Year Program at Kings) then took a year off then went and finished undergrad, then took a couple of years off in Alaska then went back into being educated then, finally, got a government job so she could have lots of maternity leave. Both of them were subsidised at various points by scholarship money.

At no point did I have the impression that these gaps were at all unusual, during the second one's mid-undergrad gap she sailed on a ship almost entirely crewed by gap year students.

The hard bit is knowing what course you want to take and having the grades to gain admission, not the scheduling of which year to take it.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 4:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

post # 81, 92, 83

YES, you triple dipped, strike 3

On the course see which are less Maths oriented. I believe Business (informatics) systems may be the route for you, then year MA Marketing (not the MBA) + the LLM if its all doable for you. All done, all in 6 years in the UK
Yes, thats the one I was thinking. This: Business Information Systems - University of Strathclyde , then This: Information Management - University of Strathclyde for another year, cannot find the LLP?

Pick a University that requires less GPA entrance requirements, likely Glasgow or Strathclyde
Yes. The strathclyde courses are looking quite nice

There is also the UK college route with a one-year Bridge to Degree. With your Grade 12 you'd be able to do the 2-year FT HND (Technologist level) in computer whatever, then one year bridge to Degree, followed by the rest.

Sometimes depending on the course, college, university those with an HND can go straight to the post grad diploma with a bridge year course

Along these lines

HND COMPUTER SCIENCE | Glasgow Clyde College

YOU HAVE A COUPLE OF YEARS TO DECIDE, SO START NOW

In the mean time look at the HND studies. Some have practicums (slotted work terms) included in the courses

Good luck to you
Thanks.... The college option seems like it would be a total of 9 years of study, which i am not too fond of ha ha. But the rest of it sounds right brilliant

Originally Posted by dbd33
Not me, but...

One of my children took a gap year after high school before applying to university in Canada (she worked for a year in CH) and then, after finishing her course, then applied to do a Masters then, after being accepted, deferred that for a year. Another took a one year university course (the Foundation Year Program at Kings) then took a year off then went and finished undergrad, then took a couple of years off in Alaska then went back into being educated then, finally, got a government job so she could have lots of maternity leave. Both of them were subsidised at various points by scholarship money.

At no point did I have the impression that these gaps were at all unusual, during the second one's mid-undergrad gap she sailed on a ship almost entirely crewed by gap year students.

The hard bit is knowing what course you want to take and having the grades to gain admission, not the scheduling of which year to take it.
Thanks.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 4:47 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Gozit

Thanks.... The college option seems like it would be a total of 9 years of study, which i am not too fond of ha ha. But the rest of it sounds right brilliant
not quite & depends which college & which program. we'll discuss this in a PM off the thread