Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Deferral of Uni in Canada

Deferral of Uni in Canada

Old Jan 25th 2015, 12:36 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deferral of Uni in Canada

Originally Posted by Gozit
If i took a gap year I would be footing the expense so no one else but me would be involved in the decision, thank you very much.
is that what your parents told you?

I added to my previous post

and BTW, IMO you couldn't go it alone,not without your parents financial supporting you

So,move to Malta,find your own feet, save enough to go to university when you get back

-or-

Straight from high school,to university parents pay the 4 years,then bugger off to Malta
Old Jan 25th 2015, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
In this case your likely correct, but I hope you don't assume parents pay the cost of education for their kids, many a parents do not provide anything beyond a place to live and food, the student has to figure out how to pay for tuition.

Hate to break it to you, but welcome to the adult world, but add on a few weeks since your not likely to have 12 weeks off per year, but the rest is pretty accurate.

HS is just the start....lol

As much as I hated high school and the bullying, if I could go back with the knowledge of real life I have now, I'd probably rock high school, but we lack the real life knowledge while there.

I've only gone the community college route and it's basically just an adult version of high school, 90% of my classmates where 18/19, I was late 20's, but it felt just like HS.
Well, call me a tad optimistic but I think if you really want something you can work at it and make a good life for yourself. I personally don't believe i'll be going somewhere i don't want to be for the rest of my life. My goal is to find a job that i am content with and then work from there. The money/holidays/benefits will come later.
Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Aren't you still in Grade 10? Perhaps you should wait another couple of years before you stress about this too much.
Well in a couple of years i'll have to make decisions that will effect the next 30 yrs of my life, so i might as well start compiling options now.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 12:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
is that what your parents told you?

I added to my previous post

and BTW, IMO you couldn't go it alone,not without your parents financial supporting you

So,move to Malta,find your own feet, save enough to go to university when you get back

-or-

Straight from high school,to university parents pay the 4 years,then bugger off to Malta
Well to be frank you don't know me in real life other than my posts on here so you may think what you please... Not that its relevant but if I went a gap year and footed it myself then came back yes my mum and dad would still fund my uni education. Taking a year off and self-funding it makes no difference.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 12:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, call me a tad optimistic but I think if you really want something you can work at it and make a good life for yourself. I personally don't believe i'll be going somewhere i don't want to be for the rest of my life. My goal is to find a job that i am content with and then work from there. The money/holidays/benefits will come later.
Well in a couple of years i'll have to make decisions that will effect the next 30 yrs of my life, so i might as well start compiling options now.
My goal at your age was to find a job that matched my interests and would be enjoyable, however real life stepped in, and sometimes you just don't get that in the working world.

Now 20+ years of working has made me pretty bitter too...lol
Old Jan 25th 2015, 12:45 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

if I went a gap year and footed it myself then came back yes my mum and dad would still fund my uni education. Taking a year off and self-funding it makes no difference.
Suppose your parents said 'go to uni straight after high school, if you don't - you're cut off the gravy train'

would you still take a GAP year?

BTW,have you figured out how you would foot the bill all by yourself?
Old Jan 25th 2015, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Suppose your parents said 'go to uni straight after high school, if you don't - you're cut off the gravy train'

would you still take a GAP year?

BTW,have you figured out how you would foot the bill all by yourself?
Probably not, but then i'd just leave the gap until after uni and go on working holidays on the off time from uni.

Get a pt job in Canada to save a bit before I go, then once I get there, i am a Maltese citizen i can work in any p/t job there immediately. Accomodation would be with grandparents.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My goal at your age was to find a job that matched my interests and would be enjoyable, however real life stepped in, and sometimes you just don't get that in the working world.

Now 20+ years of working has made me pretty bitter too...lol
Lol yeah... I just hope that going to uni will give me my desired result, otherwise whats the point. It doesn't hurt to try i guess
Old Jan 25th 2015, 12:54 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been following the Greek election Gozit? Interesting times in your part of the world (Mediterranean Europe).
Old Jan 25th 2015, 12:59 am
Dichotomus tinker

Probably not, but then i'd just leave the gap until after uni and go on working holidays on the off time from uni.

Get a pt job in Canada to save a bit before I go, then once I get there, i am a Maltese citizen i can work in any p/t job there immediately. Accomodation would be with grandparents.
coming full circle, what you posted in the OP below

You've haven't got a bloody clue about life outside of your cosy existence being funded by your parents ... or do you?

Revisit this after Gozit finishes University, if it ever happens

I've been looking into taking a gap year after H.S before going to uni. I think I need the time to decompress from 14 years of government education... But it seems that universities don't really like to defer admissions. On york and McGill websites i've seen they are only granted in "exceptional circumstances" (wanting to bugger off abroad for a year doesn't seem exceptional...).

In the UK it seems gap years are encouraged by unis... But in Canada its the typical rat race BS...

Does anyone have actual experience with doing it? Any additional risks in applying a year later instead of bothering with deferred admissions?
Old Jan 25th 2015, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Shard
Have you been following the Greek election Gozit? Interesting times in your part of the world (Mediterranean Europe).
Hmmm no, must check it out

coming full circle, what you posted in the OP below

You've haven't got a bloody clue about life outside of your cosy existence being funded by your parents ... or do you?

Revisit this after Gozit finishes University, if it ever happens
I know what i posted in my OP. I just made it 2 hours or so ago. Is there any minor who has an idea of life other than the one his parents have given him? Probably not.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 1:43 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Try going somewhere you absolutely hate, every day, 5 days a week, 40 weeks a year for 14 years of your life. Then come back and talk about "being a drama queen". That obviously isn't the majority of people's experience with school but it is/has been mine. .
oh it's only just started. Try working for 40 plus years at something you absolutely hate for more than 5 days a week all year round then consider just how hard your lot is.

Many people hate the jobs they have to do, they little reward they get for it. Jobs that ruin their health, cripple their bodies.

Get over it.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 3:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol yeah... I just hope that going to uni will give me my desired result, otherwise whats the point. It doesn't hurt to try i guess
Depends on what you want to do. If you wanted to be say an electrician, university would be a waste of money career wise.

You have to choose your degree and major wisely, a good amount of degrees gain you no actual skill, and you end up in low paying jobs anyhow, cannot tell you how many college graduates I have worked with making 11 or 12/hr right along with me.

University alone will not lead to good employment, choose wisely in your major.

The profession's I wanted to do, didn't need university, but other factors got into the way that prevented them from happening otherwise I may have succeeded in my goal, but we don't get to pick our health problems, it's given to us.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 3:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bats
oh it's only just started. Try working for 40 plus years at something you absolutely hate for more than 5 days a week all year round then consider just how hard your lot is.

Many people hate the jobs they have to do, they little reward they get for it. Jobs that ruin their health, cripple their bodies.

Get over it.
As much as I loved my airline job, it did ruin my back and knees. I started at 19, and while back then I had no issues, fast forward to 35 and I feel like I am 35 years older, chronic back pain, chronic knee pain, and nothing medical science can do except tell me to pop advil or tylenol.

My current job is probably killing my lungs, I spend 90% of the day inside parking garages.

Enclosed building + cars = bad for your health.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 3:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bats

Get over it.
Well pardon you for being so miserable. Do you not believe that there are people out there happy with their life and job? I do and i believe there are a whole lot of them.

I say if you dont like what you have, change it ! Ultimately if you really want to, no one is stopping you!
Old Jan 25th 2015, 3:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Depends on what you want to do. If you wanted to be say an electrician, university would be a waste of money career wise.

You have to choose your degree and major wisely, a good amount of degrees gain you no actual skill, and you end up in low paying jobs anyhow, cannot tell you how many college graduates I have worked with making 11 or 12/hr right along with me.

University alone will not lead to good employment, choose wisely in your major.

The profession's I wanted to do, didn't need university, but other factors got into the way that prevented them from happening otherwise I may have succeeded in my goal, but we don't get to pick our health problems, it's given to us.
Im going into Information Technology, and at least IMO no shortage of jobs there. The tech world is always evolving and there will be jobs 7 yrs from now that did not exist today. Trust me, im not going to uni "just to get an education". If there was another way i'd be taking it. But nowadays you need a degree to do just about everything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.