A debate.

Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:00 am
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A debate.

I don't expect any cash from visitors, but it's nice if they take us out for a meal a couple of times during the visit. TBH I get more concerned about people coming for longish visits and not renting a car while they are here as I don't have the time to drive them everywhere they want to go. It's ok for a few days but gets very tiring if they won't do their own thing occasionally.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 9:33 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket
I don't expect any cash from visitors, but it's nice if they take us out for a meal a couple of times during the visit. TBH I get more concerned about people coming for longish visits and not renting a car while they are here as I don't have the time to drive them everywhere they want to go. It's ok for a few days but gets very tiring if they won't do their own thing occasionally.
I so agree! My experience is, we are expected to rent a car and go off on our own when back in the UK. When they come here, they expect us to take them everywhere. We've only had one visitor from there who rented a car and went off to do their own thing.
Old Feb 5th 2009, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond reputeMistress Miggins has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mrs Miggins came over - she's 70 and I wouldn't have her put her hand in her pocket at all, after all she had spent enough just on the flights.

My parents came over, pretty much the same, but they have a few quid more so they paid for dinner more often etc. My dad argued so badly that we kinda had to let him! (grumpy old sod).

Other than that, I think the bigger differences isn't when family comes over......the biggest issue I have experienced is when you have friends with different levels of disposable income either here or there. I always feel awkward knowing someones harder up, but at the same time don't want to patronize, offend or pressure them. So what's the done thing in that sort of dynamic???? Eg, your comfortable with a few quid to spare, and they are looking for loose change down the back of the sofa type of thing. I'd be interested to hear that feedback

Hope you are all well this evening
Miss M x
Old Feb 6th 2009, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Miggins, I guess I didn't explain the whole thing but what you are saying is part of what I was saying. My Mom was reasonably well off. When she came here she would probably have paid for a meal out. When we went grocery shopping, she might have said "I will pay for this lot". But it was never a foregone conclusion that she would pay and I didn't expect her to.

If someone came to visit and I knew that this was the one special visit because they couldn't afford to come again, I would probably say, if they offered to pay for groceries "Don't be silly. You never come here, I will be buying the groceries." And the same for eating out. As I have said before, we just don't eat out in expensive places. If I knew I had more money than them and they offered to take us out for a meal "I would probably say something along the same lines as the groceries "Don't be silly. Its our treat. This is the only time you will be here and we don't need to eat in restaurants unless you really want to." So then they could say that they would like to eat in a restaurant or, as it would probably be summer, we could barbecue at home.

If we had visitors who were absolutely loaded - and that is not likely - then I don't know what I would do. I suppose if they said they wanted to take us out for dinner to the most expensive restaurant in Regina - then I would have to find out where that might be!

Not everyone has money to burn. Simply paying the fare is a pretty heavy deal for most people. I am just splurging this time so my granddaughter can visit the place that I grew up. Otherwise I can think of plenty of things I would rather spend $5,000 plus on. And the fact of the matter is, we could take my sister and husband out for a meal here to Moxie's - which is a place we like - or India House - and it would cost under $100. Whereas over there, I know it will cost me at least double that and I can't really afford it - at least if $250 goes on one meal - then that probably means that we won't be able to do other things.

This is my granddaughter's "trip of a lifetime" because she is 16 this summer and even if she does ask to go on a trip with me in future - it certainly won't be to England again.

Last edited by Purley; Feb 6th 2009 at 1:25 am.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't expect family to pay for groceries, but maybe treat us to a meal out. Friends I would expect to chip in and help with the food costs.

So far no one has visited us though