The Deaf in Canada,

Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Deaf in Canada,

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I don't know any deaf people here but I do notice that there is far less signed stuff on TV. In fact I'm not sure I've seen anything here? Could be I'm watching the wrong channels, we only have over the air stations, but still. In the UK I remember news being signed/subtitled, lots of CBeebies kids stuff being signed, See Hear of course, and also there were special needs programmes like "Something Special" for kids using Makaton.

I've had a look at closed captions here and they're pretty bad, I'd guess it was all done by computer with no regard for accuracy. I know British subtitles were poor sometimes too but that was only usually with live programmes, pre-recorded programmes were usually spot-on.
Almost all programmes here have closed captions though, its rare to find one without. I prefer to have more choice than less choice and more accurate words. Real time captions are usually done by speech recognition software or by phonetic typing, so there is bound to be error in that, especially with accents or unusual words. I get a few laughs from the mistakes.
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
That has to be typo of the decade!!!!!

Thanks for the info Batty, I have to say I don't "know" anyone who is deaf - so have never really had the opportunity to see first hand how difficult some things can be, so my understanding is nil
You are very welcome MMC, I have a powerpoint presentation on being hard of hearing. I can send you it if you like. Or anyone else for that matter.

You can also go to http://www.rehab.on.ca/mobile/hear/index.html where there is an "unfair hearing test" it simulates mild to moderate hearing loss.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 5:07 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I believe I've mentioned this incident before, but it still makes me grin to think of it so here it is again. (shut your eyes if you've heard it before)

My dad was over here on a visit, and we went to get some grub one evening at a little foodstore, where he insisted on paying.

When the guy had rung everything through the till, Dad asked how much it was, and the guy pointed at the total displayed on the till.

"How much is it?" asked dad again, a bit louder .... and the guy poked his finger towards the till again. I hadn't really been paying attention but then I realised what the trouble was .... "He's deaf" I tried to explain quietly to my now exasperated father.

"Well that's no good!" he blustered ..... "I'm BLIND!!"

We left quickly, with me signing "sorry" and "thanks" to the bewildered attendant.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:17 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

At one school I worked at , some bright spark put the completely blind child and the profoundly deaf child in the same science class. At that time I didn't have any experience of teaching either. I actually quite enjoyed "thinking outside the box" and finding ways for both pupils to access the lesson but both in one class was a bit much!
Old Jun 13th 2008, 4:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
I agree with HWP that its harder to be deaf in Britain than in Canada. Here people are more willing to repeat themselves a few times until you can understand whats being said, they are much kinder about it and generally dont treat you like an idiot. Believe me I ask often, I have had to learn to lipread in Canadian, I dread to think how hard it was for HWP in England trying to learn English lipshapes and sounds.

I was born with perfect hearing but do to dad passing on his gene's I began losing my hearing in my teens. Today at age 60 I am considered profoundly impaired. I can hear with an OTE aid but have major difficulties with music and people who speech softly. I've lip red for years and my family knows to look at me when they talk. I lipread the television shows at night so the sound will not disturb my husband.

People that I have encountered here in America do have a problem with repeating themselves. I have learned to lean over and show my aid when asking them to "say that again, pls".

I was surprised to find that my two very good British friends are loathe to repeat themselves or speak louder even if I tell them that I can't hear them. I enjoy their company but hubby acts as hearing man for me.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rete
I was born with perfect hearing but do to dad passing on his gene's I began losing my hearing in my teens. Today at age 60 I am considered profoundly impaired. I can hear with an OTE aid but have major difficulties with music and people who speech softly. I've lip red for years and my family knows to look at me when they talk. I lipread the television shows at night so the sound will not disturb my husband.

People that I have encountered here in America do have a problem with repeating themselves. I have learned to lean over and show my aid when asking them to "say that again, pls".

I was surprised to find that my two very good British friends are loathe to repeat themselves or speak louder even if I tell them that I can't hear them. I enjoy their company but hubby acts as hearing man for me.
I think its the British thing of not wanting to draw attention to yourself. Speaking loudly in public is a big no no. Fortunately by BF and her husband are posh and so dont have any worries about that. poor man cant do anything but speak loudly!

MOH interprets for me all the time too.