Dave Lee Travis

Old Jan 21st 2014, 10:12 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dave Lee Travis

[QUOTE=PeterF;11090187][QUOTE=bats;11090093]
Originally Posted by PeterF

FFS I HAVE NEVER SAID IT WAS OK, I CANNOT HELP IT IF YOUR A BLIND IDIOT WHO CANNOT READ.

My whole point was.

1. It was a long time ago.

2. Nobody was killed or raped.

3. Proving will be difficult after such a long time (the act itself would be difficult to prove if no-one saw it).

4. At that time in the 70's, as bad as it would have been to the person, society as a whole did not treat such things as seriously as they do today.

5. Because of 4, the perpetrator would probably have not been chastised against such behaviour (at the early stages even before it got as far as it did) which may have stopped it getting any further.

6. It is costing a lot of money and no good will come of it now.

And no, no-one of authority ever fiddled with my willy when I was young, although I was the recipient of an unwanted attempted gay fondle, which even in my drunken state I fought my way out of. Has it given me nightmares all my life, absolutely not.

If he (DLT) had forced himself on someone and attempted rape, then I would see the need, for someone acting the dick and thinking himself free to touch where he wanted at a time when he was allowed to get away with it, no, I don't see the need for it now (for the 6 reasons above and given time I could probably think of more).

So one final time NO I DO NOT THINK IT WAS OK!! rightio?
Originally Posted by PeterF
Which sums up the time really doesn't it, a TV show that everyone loves that couldn't possibly be made today.
Everyone loves? Don't be too sure of that.

So to sum up. Grabbing breasts and touching knickers are assaults that can be overlooked and when someone touched your willy you weere big and brave a fought him off.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Peter, there's something quite major that you seem to have missed here. There are at least 2-3 people posting on this thread who have pretty personal experiences of this kind of assault. Groping, molesting etc. Either them, or someone close to them.

What you are essentially saying to us is that we should basically suck it up and get over it and do nothing as it was quite a while ago now and really shouldn't matter anymore, and probably shouldn't have mattered in the first place because societal attitudes were different then, even though the law was not. Do you have any idea how hurtful that would be? I'm guessing not. At least I'm hoping not.

Here's another aspect for you, some 'what ifs' that I think are worth considering here. Along with the fear of not being believed, along with the fear of losing a job, or repercussions, along with the fear of being made out to be the one to blame in court, here are some other things. What if it doesn't even hit you right away that this thing has happened? What if, at the time, you brush it off, then realise several years down the line that this one act caused you pain, irrevocably altered who you are? What if the perpetrator threatened you? What if they actually made you feel really really special, that they really cared about you, and that was why you couldn't tell anyone and spoil it? What if them telling you those things then made you go out and try to repeat the behaviour with other unsuitable, potentially abusive men, because that was what you thought love and affection meant? Can you imagine where that could lead? Yes, potentially to 30-40 years of hurt, more pain, physical and emotional! What if the assault left you unable to connect properly with potential/current partners, what if it made you scared of physical touch and ruined otherwise good relationships? These things can take years to sink in. Sometimes it takes hearing the stories of others before you realise that, yes, that was what happened. Does that make the impact of them any less? Absolutely not.

It is rarely a simple case of a squeezed bum on the way past, and even if it were, it could still lead to the above scenarios that I've written here. Please show a little sensitivity to those who have been hurt by the actions of others. They cannot dismiss it as easily as you may think.

Last edited by Dashie; Jan 22nd 2014 at 12:07 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 1:07 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
Peter, there's something quite major that you seem to have missed here. There are at least 2-3 people posting on this thread who have pretty personal experiences of this kind of assault. Groping, molesting etc. Either them, or someone close to them.

What you are essentially saying to us is that we should basically suck it up and get over it and do nothing as it was quite a while ago now and really shouldn't matter anymore, and probably shouldn't have mattered in the first place because societal attitudes were different then, even though the law was not. Do you have any idea how hurtful that would be? I'm guessing not. At least I'm hoping not.

Here's another aspect for you, some 'what ifs' that I think are worth considering here. Along with the fear of not being believed, along with the fear of losing a job, or repercussions, along with the fear of being made out to be the one to blame in court, here are some other things. What if it doesn't even hit you right away that this thing has happened? What if, at the time, you brush it off, then realise several years down the line that this one act caused you pain, irrevocably altered who you are? What if the perpetrator threatened you? What if they actually made you feel really really special, that they really cared about you, and that was why you couldn't tell anyone and spoil it? What if them telling you those things then made you go out and try to repeat the behaviour with other unsuitable, potentially abusive men, because that was what you thought love and affection meant? Can you imagine where that could lead? Yes, potentially to 30-40 years of hurt, more pain, physical and emotional! What if the assault left you unable to connect properly with potential/current partners, what if it made you scared of physical touch and ruined otherwise good relationships? These things can take years to sink in. Sometimes it takes hearing the stories of others before you realise that, yes, that was what happened. Does that make the impact of them any less? Absolutely not.

It is rarely a simple case of a squeezed bum on the way past, and even if it were, it could still lead to the above scenarios that I've written here. Please show a little sensitivity to those who have been hurt by the actions of others. They cannot dismiss it as easily as you may think.
Well said.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25842270

The woman, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, ...

why on earth not?
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:14 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by montreal mike
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25842270

The woman, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, ...

why on earth not?
Presumably to protect her from any deranged DLT fans who may want to "discuss" the matter with her?
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Presumably to protect her from any deranged DLT fans who may want to "discuss" the matter with her?
may well be but if he is identified then why not her?

should not the accuser be named?

After all she is now an adult even if this supposedly happened a long time ago
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

may well be but if he is identified then why not her?

should not the accuser be named?

After all she is now an adult even if this supposedly happened a long time ago
Im not going to spell it out again. perhaps read some of my posts on that subject in this very thread.

this in particular.
Putting the accusers in the spotlight is going to further discourage people from coming forward, as if having to relive the experience and face your assaulter in court and have his lawyer rip into your character and actions isnt enough of an impediment to people coming forward in trials of the nature in the first place.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 22nd 2014 at 5:28 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

FFS, please read my post above. It doesn't matter how long ago it was, it still takes a lot of bravery to come forward. She may well be ashamed of what was done to her, it isn't unusual. There is also the possibility that her nearest and dearest don't actually know what happened, and she doesn't want them to. She might also not be ready to tell this story to her boss, friends, colleagues, children...

As to why he was identified, I have no idea, and I wouldn't have cared if he had remained anonymous until proven guilty, but can we please stop picking on the victims! Is it any wonder that they're afraid to come forward really?
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iaink
Im not going to spell it out again. perhaps read some of my posts on that subject in this very thread.

this in particular.
Putting the accusers in the spotlight is going to further discourage people from coming forward, as if having to relive the experience and face your assaulter in court and have his lawyer rip into your character and actions isnt enough of an impediment to people coming forward in trials of the nature in the first place.
ok iaink I see your point which begs the question: what happens after the trial, regardless of the outcome? Is the accuser still protected?
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Why wouldn't they be? Please see my last post, I don't see how any of that would be expected to change?
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

ok iaink I see your point which begs the question: what happens after the trial, regardless of the outcome? Is the accuser still protected?
Usually, it's a media only thing and, for example, the witness will have to give their name in Court
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 8:27 pm
limey party pooper

Why would you want to know?
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bats
Good point.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bats
in the interest of fairness and common decency

if someone can be accused, and once a verdict is rendered, whatever it is, there is no longer a need for secrecy it seems to me

or am i missing something here?
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 9:41 pm
limey party pooper

in the interest of fairness and common decency

if someone can be accused, and once a verdict is rendered, whatever it is, there is no longer a need for secrecy it seems to me

or am i missing something here?
Yes you are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.