Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Curveball Interview questions

Curveball Interview questions

Old May 16th 2013, 3:32 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Curveball Interview questions

I got "How much do you like food?" in my interview (as a web designer).

After getting the job it was pointed out that Friday Lunch is a serious deal and picky eaters aren't favourable. Luckily I'll try just about anything except sushi.
Old May 16th 2013, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geedee
Eh? The person was being honest (who the hell likes the daily commute??)... why would he have been fired??
One of the first questions asked in a recent interview was, "What do you think of the commute?" The reason was because the previous guy they intereviewed was offered the job but turned it down because of the commute. They are still using that as an interview question.
Old May 16th 2013, 4:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rwin
One of the first questions asked in a recent interview was, "What do you think of the commute?" The reason was because the previous guy they intereviewed was offered the job but turned it down because of the commute. They are still using that as an interview question.
That's a usual question here. People either commute daily, typically spending three hours or so per day doing it, or fly in and out weekly. It seems to me to be a reasonable thing to ask about; you don't want to hire someone who isn't going to turn up just because some roads or airports are closed.
Old May 17th 2013, 1:16 am
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
I think what really happened was thet you tried to explain that you were a "big famous chemist", and proudly told him you were "une grande femmes chemise".
Thank you very much. I just got bollocked by the missus for shitting my pants laughing. That is way, way too funny. LMAO
Old May 17th 2013, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Not at the interview, but once i'd got the job (apprentice aero engineer), we had a sort of ice-breaking type of session and a question posed was:

A man built a rectangular house with all four sides facing south.

A bear walked past the house, what colour is the bear?
Old May 17th 2013, 2:32 am
pfw
Forum Regular

pfw is an unknown quantity at this point

White - house at North Pole.

I would probably ask an apprentice aero engineer why wings work upside down...just because I'd like to know, I looked this up once and still don't understand it.
Old May 17th 2013, 2:44 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pfw
White - house at North Pole.

I would probably ask an apprentice aero engineer why wings work upside down...just because I'd like to know, I looked this up once and still don't understand it.
or, for the sake of resurrecting a thread that ran for pages and pages a few years ago:

Imagine a plane is sitting on a massive hypothetical conveyor belt, as wide and as long as a runway. The conveyor belt is designed to match the speed of the plane exactly but moves in the opposite direction. The engines are running at take-off thrust, the brakes are off, etc. Everything is normal save for the fact the plane is on a treadmill.

Can the plane take off?

Last edited by Oakvillian; May 17th 2013 at 2:47 am.
Old May 17th 2013, 3:02 am
pfw
Forum Regular

pfw is an unknown quantity at this point

Based on a number of factors, the most significant being the number of glasses of wine consumed this evening, I go with "yes".

But that's the obvious answer, so probably wrong. I wouldn't employ me either.
Old May 17th 2013, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

that question was posed to us aswell (the treadmill one)

i can't remember the conclusion we came to, but it does depend on how the question is worded as to whether the plane will take off (i think)

but the way you've asked it, yes...the plane will take off!

Last edited by haggis88; May 17th 2013 at 5:52 am.
Old May 17th 2013, 6:13 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
or, for the sake of resurrecting a thread that ran for pages and pages a few years ago:

Imagine a plane is sitting on a massive hypothetical conveyor belt, as wide and as long as a runway. The conveyor belt is designed to match the speed of the plane exactly but moves in the opposite direction. The engines are running at take-off thrust, the brakes are off, etc. Everything is normal save for the fact the plane is on a treadmill.

Can the plane take off?
A good question! My guess is no. The plane would be stationary relative to the air around it so would not generate any lift. ?
Old May 17th 2013, 12:25 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Then plane doesn't take off but that's probably because I've got my feet on the brakes instead of the rudder ( at least thats what my instructor tells me when we are hurtling towards the lake with no sign of lift off!)
Old May 17th 2013, 1:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
Not at the interview, but once i'd got the job (apprentice aero engineer), we had a sort of ice-breaking type of session and a question posed was:

A man built a rectangular house with all four sides facing south.

A bear walked past the house, what colour is the bear?
What's the answer, for the stupid please
Old May 17th 2013, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

dg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to alldg31 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by floatsy
If all 4 sides of a rectangle face south then it MUST be built at the North Pole (as there's nowhere else on earth that that is possible).

What colour of bear lives at the North Pole?
Old May 17th 2013, 1:49 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floatsy
See post #36

Polar bear so White and the house was built on the North Pole.
Old May 17th 2013, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian

Can the plane take off?
Of course it will, the wheels just spin faster. Didn't Mythbusters demonstrate this?

Here it is:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.