Coronavirus

Old Mar 27th 2020, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Was there any sign of a goat?

It could be devil worship season. Everything is a 'season' in Canada.
one of my neighbours has goats. But they’re orthodox so I’d guess they’re not involved.
Old Mar 27th 2020, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

13,000 airport workers laid off. Airport has suspended the terminal expansion and is unsure when/if it will restart, that is another 4,000 jobs lost.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...d-19-1.5513137
Old Mar 27th 2020, 11:41 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We walk on the empty large grassy area, or the road if someone gets closers than about 20 ft.
I'll identify with that.
There are any number of activities that the virus will use to ensnare the thoughtless. It pays to identify risks and avoid them wherever possible.
At my age I might only get to make one mistake so it pays to be careful.
Old Mar 28th 2020, 12:22 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
just been for a walk down by the lake. There is a new 2 way walking path and a 2 way bike path. It is very busy and people are brushing past each other or stood around talking. We walk on the empty large grassy area, or the road if someone gets closers than about 20 ft. It will get busier as the weather warms up.
My concern is getting to the outside, is taking an elevator after someone just got out of and maybe coughed increase the risk of catching it? Hallways within the building? One reason we are mostly just sitting in our unit, seems to be less risk that way, if we do go out, I use a tooth pick to push the buttons and then throw it away outside in the trash can, then its all about avoiding people which is still a bit hard in the middle of a city, side walks are not very wide and can't exactly get 20 feet away, but I try to stay at least 6 feet away, grocery shopping people seem to always want to be close to others, like wtf stay away please and when paying its hard to stay 6 feet from the cashier considering the design of the check out lanes and payment machine 2 feet away from the cashier if that.

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I think everyone's taxes will go up. Higher GST maybe?
My guess is 1%-2% raise in GST and similiar with PST here in BC, and Alberta may need to finally bring in a PST or substantially raise income taxes.

I don't think NDP in BC will be too quick to raise taxes, election next year, so I think they will work with what they have and get through the election, if they win then raise taxes, if BC Liberals win well chances are they will cut services first, and raid the coffers of any crown company first.

Just wild guesses out of the sky.

Sunwing is laying off all of its pilots and flight attendants, effect April 1 and April 8.

BC has had 2 more deaths, total now 792 and 275 patients have recovered.

Workers in care homes will no longer be permitted to work in multiple locations.

Outbreaks in 11 care homes now.

Old Mar 28th 2020, 12:31 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
My concern is getting to the outside, is taking an elevator after someone just got out of and maybe coughed increase the risk of catching it? .
How many spare sheets do you have?

Don't forget to dress first
Old Mar 28th 2020, 12:58 am
Account Closed

How many spare sheets do you have?Don't forget to dress first
It's only one floor up, could probably survive a dangle jump, might break an ankle though....... ah too risky. You idea might be better.

This article has a interactive graph showing various scenarios for the economy, best case scenario is pretty bad. I think its time to go off into the hills and live off the land in a tent.

For BC 5.2% unemployment before this started, best scenario forecast 11.2% and worst case scenario 15%.

In the last recession, I had to move back to California because I couldn't find a job, was laid off in Aug 2008 and in Sept 2009 still had not found a job, and unemployment in my area then was only like 8%.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cov...ysis-1.5510596

Old Mar 28th 2020, 1:51 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

For BC 5.2% unemployment before this started, best scenario forecast 11.2% and worst case scenario 15%.
An interesting graph but I note that the assumptions mentioned only included the length of time the economy remained shut down. I'm inclined to add to that the degree to which the country is infected and the rate at which people succumb to the virus. This must affect the resulting unemployment rate and general economic health.
We are told that an effective immunisation program against the virus is at least a year away so we can assume that the virus will be present until then although the risk could be significantly reduced if population practice is as effective as China.
So the worst case scenario is an unemployment rate of 15%. It could turn out to be the best if I'm still around to witness it.
Old Mar 28th 2020, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Heart disease killed 17.9 million people.globally in 2019. Context. Is required me thinks.

https://www.who.int/health-topics/ca...ses/#tab=tab_1

Old Mar 28th 2020, 2:31 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dave_j
An interesting graph but I note that the assumptions mentioned only included the length of time the economy remained shut down. I'm inclined to add to that the degree to which the country is infected and the rate at which people succumb to the virus. This must affect the resulting unemployment rate and general economic health.
We are told that an effective immunisation program against the virus is at least a year away so we can assume that the virus will be present until then although the risk could be significantly reduced if population practice is as effective as China.
So the worst case scenario is an unemployment rate of 15%. It could turn out to be the best if I'm still around to witness it.
Yeah it could be worse, it could be better, nobody really knows for sure. I get mostly concerned because I pretty much become unemployable at high unemployment rates, and high unemployment also tends to bring down wages, but cost of food, housing and such don't seem to fall along with wages, so its stressing me out quite badly. I was just so close to work again, damn virus.
Old Mar 28th 2020, 2:24 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Heart disease killed 17.9 million people.globally in 2019. Context. Is required me thinks.

Why would you compare Extra deaths that do not normally happen with the norm?

If a new car comes out that is proven to have design/operational faults that put the annual road deaths up by a fraction of the normal road death numbers do you think some sort of attention and action should be necessary to get that car off the road or do you put it in the context of it not being many compared to how many die on the roads normally?
Old Mar 28th 2020, 4:15 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

And no doubt Heart disease will claim a similar level of lives in 2020 - however, having heart disease will also increase the risk of succumbing to Covid-19 - oh, and on an aside you can't CATCH Heart disease!!
DUH.
Old Mar 28th 2020, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Siouxie
And no doubt Heart disease will claim a similar level of lives in 2020 - however, having heart disease will also increase the risk of succumbing to Covid-19 - oh, and on an aside you can't CATCH Heart disease!!
DUH.
It's not all about deaths when it comes to COVID either, a big part of the restrictions is to slow the spread so hospitals are not overwhelmed.
Old Mar 28th 2020, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

It's not all about deaths when it comes to COVID either, a big part of the restrictions is to slow the spread so hospitals are not overwhelmed.
How many are actually being admitted to hospital? Catching it and being admitted to hospital are not the same thing. Are the crazy effects to the economy proportionate to the benefits gained?
Old Mar 28th 2020, 5:28 pm
Account Closed

How many are actually being admitted to hospital? Catching it and being admitted to hospital are not the same thing. Are the crazy effects to the economy proportionate to the benefits gained?

Enough in some places to overwhelm the hospital systems and require hospitals to hook 2 people up to 1 ventilator and build temporary hospitals in convention centers like NYC has done.

Take a look at what is happening in NYC, Italy, that is what Canada, and other places are trying to prevent.

Hospitals have no room left in their morgues, the federal government is bringing in refrigerated trailers to provide storage for dead bodies, 3,922 hospitalized in NYC as of 2 days ago, ICU beds at 100% capacity (they have a little over 1,800 in total)

Doesn't take much to see what can happen when things are let to fester and run wild. Cases are currently doubling every 4 days, which is an improvement over the doubling every 2 days that had occurred.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 28th 2020 at 5:36 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2020, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why would you compare Extra deaths that do not normally happen with the norm?

If a new car comes out that is proven to have design/operational faults that put the annual road deaths up by a fraction of the normal road death numbers do you think some sort of attention and action should be necessary to get that car off the road or do you put it in the context of it not being many compared to how many die on the roads normally?
Would you argue that all other cars should not be used?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.