British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Coronavirus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/coronavirus-930602/)

Nand Jul 1st 2020 11:19 am

Re: Coronavirus

Happy Canada Day everyone;

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦

BristolUK Jul 1st 2020 3:37 pm

It's America but...

If more Americans wore masks the pandemic would slow, experts say

A cultural shift among Americans to adopt mass mask wearing would be one of the simplest and most effective ways to curb further devastation from the coronavirus pandemic, according to public health experts.States that reopened businesses early when case numbers were relatively low, such as Texas and Florida, have been forced to reimpose restrictions on bars and restaurants to slow a huge spike in infections. Such seesawing lockdowns could be largely avoided, experts say, if Americans embraced near-universal mask wearing.

More than 30,000 deaths could be avoided by October if 95% of Americans wear face masks in public, according to research by the University of Washington.
Maybe the air is different up here or there's something unusual about the way we exhale, sneeze and cough. :rolleyes: Or does mask wearing actually make sense? :nod:

dave_j Jul 1st 2020 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12874406)
(Hey, I was able to use a line from Star Trek without it sounding the least contrived) :lol:

It's worse than that he's dead Jim, dead Jim, dead!

BristolUK Jul 1st 2020 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by dave_j (Post 12874779)
It's worse than that he's dead Jim, dead Jim, dead!

At least Dr McCoy was masked up :thumbup:

Pulaski Jul 1st 2020 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12874406)
So am I if I go to the supermarket or pharmacy. With the added disadvantage that I have no idea whether other people are infectious whereas the doctor at least has a pretty good idea that the person they are seeing is ill and possibly they even know what's wrong with them.

Does that object falling on your head hurt me and others too? It's about the benefits to the many, not just the few. Or the one. ....

:goodpost: Good points, both of them, and you're not even a risk professional! :lol:

I was about to make the second point myself, that if something falls on you at Costco, it doesn't put your elderly parents at risk when you visit them next weekend, nor does it put your colleagues at risk in your office or factory when you return to work, or customers/ clients if you work in a service industry. I would argue that experience assessing risk in an industrial setting puts Engineer_Abroad at a disadvanage in assessing pandemic risk, because the causes (visible/ measureable threat v non-visible/ unknown threat, and that could be caused by a visitor to the location, not by something falling from the racking or by a piece of machinery), and results (injury at a specific location at a single time v onward spread to an unknown number of future victims) are totally different.

Shard Jul 1st 2020 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12874792)
:goodpost: Good points, both of them, and you're not even a risk professional! :lol:

I was about to make the second point myself, that if something falls on you at Costco, it doesn't put your elderly parents at risk when you visit them next weekend, nor does it put your colleagues at risk in your office or factory when you return to work, or customers/ clients if you work in a service industry. I would argue that experience assessing risk in an industrial setting puts Engineer_Abroad at a disadvanage in assessing pandemic risk, becasue the causes (visible/ measureable threat v non-visible/ unknown threat), and results (injury a specific location at a single time v unward spread to an unknown number of future victims) are totally different.

Indeed, it's the "I could get hit by a bus" analogy. Totally, irrelevant to a pandemic.

BristolUK Jul 1st 2020 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12874816)
Indeed, it's the "I could get hit by a bus" analogy. Totally, irrelevant to a pandemic.

On the other hand that bus might send you to your grave or ICU without endangering anyone else. :rofl:

Shard Jul 1st 2020 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12874821)
On the other hand that bus might send you to your grave or ICU without endangering anyone else. :rofl:

Just noticed, even your avatar is wearing a mask. :lol:

bats Jul 1st 2020 4:57 pm

In olden days, pre corona, we medical professionals used to wear regukar masks to protect the parient from us and n95 masks to protect ourselves from the patient. Patients and visitors were asked to wear a mask if they had a cough or cold. Proven infection control measures. Why do some of you think it's any different now when it's even more important?

Siouxie Jul 1st 2020 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12874835)
In olden days, pre corona, we medical professionals used to wear regukar masks to protect the parient from us and n95 masks to protect ourselves from the patient. Patients and visitors were asked to wear a mask if they had a cough or cold. Proven infection control measures. Why do some of you think it's any different now when it's even more important?

:goodpost:

Pulaski Jul 1st 2020 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 12874835)
.... Why do some of you think it's any different now when it's even more important?

Obviously you are an agent of the conspiracy, spreading disinformation to help Bill Gates and the New World Order oppress the free world! :rolleyes:

Siouxie Jul 1st 2020 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12874876)
Obviously you are an agent of the conspiracy, spreading disinformation to help Bill Gates and the New World Order opress the free world! :rolleyes:

Sadly there are many who believe that to be true..... including someone I know :( :banghead:

Pulaski Jul 1st 2020 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12874877)
Sadly there are many who believe that to be true..... including someone I know. ....

Yes, stupidity knows almost no bounds. :(

I take occasional pot-shots against such nonsense in comments under news videos posted on YouTube, but p!$$!in9 in the wind doesn't begin to describe the futility of trying to apply logic in the face of such madness. A couple of days someone accused me of being "a slave" by following the order to wear a mask (as an aside I have been wearing one on my weekly grocery expeditions, and the other rare trips I make away from Pulaski Manor, since March when "they" (WHO, US gov, UK gov, etc.) were busy telliing us not to wear masks). I responded by noting that there are already laws requiring him to wear enough clothes to cover his genitals, and asking him if that made him a slave too? I didn't get a reply! :rofl:

BristolUK Jul 1st 2020 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12874825)
Just noticed, even your avatar is wearing a mask. :lol:

It's the MTM cat from St Elsewhere. The Hill Street Blues one was dressed as a cop :nod:

BristolUK Jul 1st 2020 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12874881)
I responded by noting that there are already laws requiring him to wear enough clothes to cover his genitals, and asking him if that made him a slave too? I didn't get a reply! :rofl:

He probably wasn't wearing any and is wondering how you saw. :lol: