Coronavirus

Old Jun 18th 2020, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Danny B
What country are you referring to when you say that? China?
All of them that have had significant numbers in the first wave.

Like Dbd33 stated above, what is a continuation of the first wave v. those not affected is the issue but, of those jurisdictions that had a significant number of infections, I, and many others far more knowledgeable and expert than me, don't anticipate any so-called second wave.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 4:56 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

As of today no active cases in Newfoundland & Labrador. 261 cases. 3 deaths. 258 recovered.
There appear to be some benefits in most of the province being an Island!
We enter level 2 next week - bars, gyms etc reopening albeit with physical distancing in place.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 7:00 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Are these the same experts that haven't been able to predict, with any real accuracy, what was going to happen in the past?

As I have indicated before, policy appears, to me, to be backwards. Those unlikely to be affected should all get infected as quickly as they can and those likely to be affected should do all they can to isolate from the rest. The media's obsession with number of infections is somewhat baffling to me.
Will have a look at the video later. Nothing wrong with the experts. If you recall, in Feburary they were imploring the UK government to surpress the virus or it would spread exponentially. Boris and his lackeys took a couple of extra weeks to be convinced of the seriousness of the virus, and hey presto, as predicted (by the experts) it spread like wild fire. Tens of thousands of avoidable deaths is the price of skepticism. We're lucky that he didn't stick to his ill-judged instincts or ot would be hundreds of thousands by now. Sweden is another fine example. Experts on both sides of the strategy, although unfortunately for the Swedes, the health official in power clung to his minority view of herd immunity, and again, thousands of unnecessary deaths. He's been showing some serious contrition lately, as well he should.

I don't think we are the stage if understanding of Covid where we can proactively encourage low-risk individuals to get infected and gain some immunity. We have no idea whether the immunity if permanent or not. And even amongst that populations segment (younger/fit people for want of a better word) there is still a mortality rate attributable to the disease. Having said that, I do see the economic/society argument for permitting one segment to return to normal (with protection) while the other shields, and it the disease does not taper off that may be the only way forward.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 9:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

All of them that have had significant numbers in the first wave.

Like Dbd33 stated above, what is a continuation of the first wave v. those not affected is the issue but, of those jurisdictions that had a significant number of infections, I, and many others far more knowledgeable and expert than me, don't anticipate any so-called second wave.
I think defining a "second wave" is infeasible.

A infection rate based comparison fails because testing rates vary by location and, within a location, the rate of testing and the quality of the tests will improve. Deaths is a better measure, there's some variance in the definition of cause of death between jurisdictions but not, typically, within one jurisdiction over a year. The problem with deaths is that the low hanging fruit have fallen and there's greater awareness of the virus now so, for the rate of deaths to be greater than in the first wave, the situation has to be markedly worse.

I expect there to be a great deal of sickness and death in the coming months but don't know that it'll be quantifiable as the "second wave that started on the morning of October 3rd".
Old Jun 18th 2020, 9:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
...Sweden is another fine example...
Yep. Between 5 and 10 times as many deaths per capita as Finland, Denmark and Norway who weren't so cavalier.

I don't think we are the stage if understanding of Covid where we can proactively encourage low-risk individuals to get infected and gain some immunity. We have no idea whether the immunity if permanent or not.
Not to mention that while they're all out catching the virus, they are also out spreading it.

For all people might think the at risk can simply shelter and stay in, even if they do that absolutely 100%, unless they live alone, they are still going to come into contact with some people - in the same home as well as others - who might not otherwise be infectious but for the fact that others have sought to get infected and have passed it on.

It's almost as if some have forgotten there is a period between exposure and showing symptoms where one is infectious and passing it on unknowingly. Like the health workers who have carried it into care homes at great cost. Or politicians and their wives and colleagues.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 10:47 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

A graph of infections over time might seemingly show a second wave but in reality it might be the first wave arriving at areas previously uninfected. There's no local spread in many areas but once rules are relaxed, as they must be, then all the Typhoid Marys from the GTA will start doing their stuff and numbers will rise. It seems inevitable to me. Hope I'm wrong.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 11:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Will have a look at the video later. Nothing wrong with the experts. If you recall, in Feburary they were imploring the UK government to surpress the virus or it would spread exponentially. Boris and his lackeys took a couple of extra weeks to be convinced of the seriousness of the virus, and hey presto, as predicted (by the experts) it spread like wild fire. Tens of thousands of avoidable deaths is the price of skepticism. We're lucky that he didn't stick to his ill-judged instincts or ot would be hundreds of thousands by now. Sweden is another fine example. Experts on both sides of the strategy, although unfortunately for the Swedes, the health official in power clung to his minority view of herd immunity, and again, thousands of unnecessary deaths. He's been showing some serious contrition lately, as well he should.

I don't think we are the stage if understanding of Covid where we can proactively encourage low-risk individuals to get infected and gain some immunity. We have no idea whether the immunity if permanent or not. And even amongst that populations segment (younger/fit people for want of a better word) there is still a mortality rate attributable to the disease. Having said that, I do see the economic/society argument for permitting one segment to return to normal (with protection) while the other shields, and it the disease does not taper off that may be the only way forward.
I accept that some experts were recommending one course of action and others were advising the exact opposite. If you look at those that have tried the data the impression appears to be that government actions all over the world made little difference and that there is a whole range if factors that resulted in different outcomes unless, of course, we accept the Nunavut government were the real geniuses and the rest of the world should have followed their lead.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 11:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at those that have tried the data the impression appears to be that government actions all over the world made little difference...
Really?

If you were an 80-year-old, where would you have felt safest once the outbreak was clearly underway, but you were not yet affected?
- US?
- UK?
- Canada?
- Australia?
- New Zealand?

Old Jun 19th 2020, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by abner
Really?

If you were an 80-year-old, where would you have felt safest once the outbreak was clearly underway, but you were not yet affected?
- US?
- UK?
- Canada?
- Australia?
- New Zealand?
Any of them as i would have remained indoors.

I know that people wish to blame governments but, if that is the case, what happened in Quebec when compared with Nunavut? Despite how people wish to spin this, you can't compare apples with oranges.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 1:26 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Any of them as i would have remained indoors.

I know that people wish to blame governments but, if that is the case, what happened in Quebec when compared with Nunavut? Despite how people wish to spin this, you can't compare apples with oranges.
it's not blaming governments to think that their actions make a difference and that people are alive or dead today according to the government in place at the time. Some, notably the governments of the US. the UK and Brazil, have not done well by their people (and I don't say they had bad intentions, they're just not very good at governing). Others, such as in Ontario, have done the right things and saved lives. Of course countries with good governance and fortunate geography have done best but comparing the island nation of New Zealand with the island nation of the UK is as unfair as comparing Quebec, a populated cosmopolitan place and Nunavut, a piece of tundra occupied by two men and a polar bear which no one visits..
Old Jun 19th 2020, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dbd33
it's not blaming governments to think that their actions make a difference and that people are alive or dead today according to the government in place at the time. Some, notably the governments of the US. the UK and Brazil, have not done well by their people (and I don't say they had bad intentions, they're just not very good at governing). Others, such as in Ontario, have done the right things and saved lives. Of course countries with good governance and fortunate geography have done best but comparing the island nation of New Zealand with the island nation of the UK is as unfair as comparing Quebec, a populated cosmopolitan place and Nunavut, a piece of tundra occupied by two men and a polar bear which no one visits..
I thought that that was the point I was making. One cannot really blame the governor of New York, just as one cannot praise the governor of Montana. Accepting, of course, it appears to be perfectly acceptable to blame Trump.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 4:16 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that that was the point I was making. One cannot really blame the governor of New York, just as one cannot praise the governor of Montana. Accepting, of course, it appears to be perfectly acceptable to blame Trump.
If the virus was already in Italy during December, like this report says it was, then you cannot blame anyone for its spread from Italy into the USA over Christmas. No one knew.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 4:18 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Florida reports nearly 4,000 new coronavirus cases, a record single-day increase
Old Jun 19th 2020, 4:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

So much for hot weather killing the virus.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Florida reports nearly 4,000 new coronavirus cases, a record single-day increase

That is insane. And here in BC we are averaging only 10 a day.

Median age of cases in Florida is down to 37 and they expect it to keep dropping as they test, and most of the younger people testing positive are not showing symptoms according to CNN article.

Florida as of 8:10am EST today

1,532,871 total tested
1,443,123 Negative
89,748 positive

antibody testing results for Florida as of June 12, they only update this weekly.
Total tested 179,109
Positive 7,717
Negative 171,364
Inconclusive 28

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 19th 2020 at 5:18 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.