Coronavirus

Old Mar 18th 2020, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
This guy's argument is so wrong.The incubation period is 14 days, once that is over, the infection is gone, so when the quarantine ends there won't be a sudden surge of cases as he depicts as the virus will have left most people's systems.
And, from what I can tell, Canada is as the very low end of cases (water near the bottom) rather than water about to overflow. I don't know what is happening locally throughout the rest of the country but, in Calgary, no one is going to work to work so, minimal interaction and the businesses that rely upon people visiting them to succeed, have no one going to them, with a few exceptions of grocery stores and the like.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 9:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I guess on paper we didn't really lose anything as I didn't start the job, but losing that job offer is a loss in its own way...
True enough.
One other thing on the renting side....a few days ago we talked of the quandary of a landlord faced with a tenant with loss of earnings and, therefore, rent and whether they'd evict considering the potential loss of rental income and inconvenience involved in re-renting and how that might be worse than simply allowing an otherwise good tenant some leeway.

If lots of people have been laid off or had hours drastically cut, there may not be hoards of ready made tenants with the money to replace the evicted tenant. The landlord would need to consider that too.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
True enough.
One other thing on the renting side....a few days ago we talked of the quandary of a landlord faced with a tenant with loss of earnings and, therefore, rent and whether they'd evict considering the potential loss of rental income and inconvenience involved in re-renting and how that might be worse than simply allowing an otherwise good tenant some leeway.

If lots of people have been laid off or had hours drastically cut, there may not be hoards of ready made tenants with the money to replace the evicted tenant. The landlord would need to consider that too.
Every landlord is so different hard to know.

Just even if the landlord is forgiving and let a tenant defer 1-2 months of rent, the question is how to pay back the rent owed, I don't see any way we could, if we missed a month, it would be impossible to pay back unless I manage to find a job but of course few places are even hiring as everything shuts down, so that is a long shot at this point.

At this point it is a wait and see how April goes.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 18th 2020 at 9:58 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

45 new confirmed cases in BC since yesterday, total now is 231, BC has tested approx 17,000 people. 13 are in hospital, 7 in ICU, no new deaths, and 5 have recovered.

Old Mar 18th 2020, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute

Bar of chocolate bought for me in Longo’s was wiped down on the shelves by staff
Old Mar 18th 2020, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

Pet stores are starting to close down.

With more and more places not taking cash, another concern for the very poor and homeless who don't have credit or debit, life must be getting even worse for them.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 18th 2020 at 11:13 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 11:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
45 new confirmed cases in BC since yesterday, total now is 231, BC has tested approx 17,000 people. 13 are in hospital, 7 in ICU, no new deaths, and 5 have recovered.
Still moving slowly here. It was 8 on Sunday and three days later 11, most at the presumptive stage and all with mild symptoms only. 4 are returned from abroad and the others are close contacts of 1 traveller who hopefully has now run out of close contacts.
Most are not in my 'zone' of NB which is a bit surprising as we're the most populous.

My taxi driver told me that all was quiet around town and that basically it was just people out grocery shopping. The Premier is expressing annoyance at people "not staying home" - so maybe try something a bit more forceful and stop saying it's okay to go shopping.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

Still moving slowly here. It was 8 on Sunday and three days later 11, most at the presumptive stage and all with mild symptoms only. 4 are returned from abroad and the others are close contacts of 1 traveller who hopefully has now run out of close contacts.
Most are not in my 'zone' of NB which is a bit surprising as we're the most populous.

My taxi driver told me that all was quiet around town and that basically it was just people out grocery shopping. The Premier is expressing annoyance at people "not staying home" - so maybe try something a bit more forceful and stop saying it's okay to go shopping.

It grew slow here then started growing more rapidly, the recent uptick is about 2 weeks after a large convention took place downtown Vancouver, I wonder how many of this cases showing up now were spread because of that. Not sure why anyone thought a large convention was a good idea.

They seem to be getting annoyed in BC, there is very visibly less people out and about, but some people just don't care, so if it keeps rising, they will mandate closures and shelter in place as some US places have done.

Air Canada is dropping significant amount of US city's for the time being, going from 53 US city's to just New York, Boston, Washington, D.C., Chicago, Houston, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Denver, Orlando and Fort Lauderdale.

Air Canada will also be going from 62 domestic airports served to 40 so suspending some airports in Canada for now, likely smaller communities.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Mar 18th 2020 at 11:58 pm.
Old Mar 18th 2020, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

Italy saw a record 475 people die in a day.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51952712
Old Mar 19th 2020, 12:26 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

True enough.

In North Carolina, the state governor has issued an order prohibiting the eviction of tenants during the Coronavirus crisis. .... I am not sure what happens if tenants just decide to stop paying rent even of they could do so.
Old Mar 19th 2020, 12:47 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

It's terrifying to read through the first 50 posts of this thread, not many people took it seriously. Here we are in North America (about 2 weeks behind Italy) still not taking it seriously. Shops still open, crowds of people entering Costco, people at the beach.

Meanwhile my parents who live in Spain are under government lockdown. Only one person per household can leave to buy food.

Last edited by Danny B; Mar 19th 2020 at 1:51 am.
Old Mar 19th 2020, 1:52 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like my place of work is closing, I have had 3 shift change phone calls today, the last one said we are probably closing the stores for now.

Called Pet smart to see if puppy school is still starting on Sunday and got a yes it is. I was surprised at that.
Old Mar 19th 2020, 2:18 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
This guy's argument is so wrong.

The incubation period is 14 days, once that is over, the infection is gone, so when the quarantine ends there won't be a sudden surge of cases as he depicts as the virus will have left most people's systems.
Bill Gates was on Reddit this morning and had this to say about 'herd immunity'

Old Mar 19th 2020, 2:34 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a good plan...create panic buying so they take in two months worth of money in two days and can then shut for a couple of months and wait for it all to blow over.

That's just been announced as policy here in NB.
Not sure if the docs will still get their $45 per patient visit for that.
Hi Bristol
I am not sure how that last comment has relevance to be honest. I'm surprised that it was you that said that. For starters, typically certainly in BC we get paid less than that per visit unless they are complex/getting on in years and secondly, I would hope that you would feel that we are working to both treat patients but also protect them, not just chasing the dollar. The reasoning behind transferring a considerable amount of our clinical contacts to remote telemetry conferencing or phoning is so that the patients do not have to come into our offices if they can avoid it and risk potentially picking up Covid 19 due to a crowded waiting room full of sick people. This also lessens the risk to both our staff as well as us contracting the condition-there is not much we can do to help the public if we are either confined to home quarantined, sick, or dead. We still see patients in the clinic that we have to on a clinical needs basis but by reducing the numbers in the clinic, the risk of cross infection significantly reduces. At some stage, we will if needs be work "outside our field of expertise" if things get bad, would you question/begrudge our fees then? Maybe you just meant the online docs, not those like us on the ground, it wasnt clear

Concerning the comments about the Shoppers scheme, there are countrywide companies that have appealed to the well heeled who can seek their medical care in the comfort of the living room. Such companies as Babylon, Maple etc. are probably doing a roaring trade but I have to say as JS says, there seems to be a lot of buck passing and they arent a great deal of use IMHO. The Docs working for Maple/Babylon etc will get their cut but the companies will likely take a big slice

Last edited by Stinkypup; Mar 19th 2020 at 3:18 am. Reason: I still cant bloody spell...or for that matter type
Old Mar 19th 2020, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

The leaders of tomorrow. Our 2 kids are 19 and 23 and I can't imagine them being so callous about this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.