Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Cooking/baking -how do you do it?

Cooking/baking -how do you do it?

Old Apr 15th 2007, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

canuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud ofcanuckgirl has much to be proud of
Default Cooking/baking -how do you do it?

Just wondering what measurements you Brits here in canada use. Do you still stick with weight measurements or have you switched over to cups etc.
I love British food magazines and cookbooks but I just am so unfamiliar with weighing stuff that I rarely use any recipes.(I drool over the pictures) I know what 1/4c of butter looks like but 50g completely throws me off. I have bought a cheap scale but it is just hard to change-I try and convery British measurements but that can be time consuming.

I am metric in almost everything but I starting cooking and baking in the 70's and am just stuck in my ways.

So what do you all use?
Old Apr 15th 2007, 7:57 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cooking/baking -how do you do it?

Originally Posted by canuckgirl
Just wondering what measurements you Brits here in canada use. Do you still stick with weight measurements or have you switched over to cups etc.
I love British food magazines and cookbooks but I just am so unfamiliar with weighing stuff that I rarely use any recipes.(I drool over the pictures) I know what 1/4c of butter looks like but 50g completely throws me off. I have bought a cheap scale but it is just hard to change-I try and convery British measurements but that can be time consuming.

I am metric in almost everything but I starting cooking and baking in the 70's and am just stuck in my ways.

So what do you all use?
I have a flat scale - Salter Aquatronic. You just shove the bowl/jug on and it automatically adjusts to zero. I got used to the measurements then - as you learn where ingredients sit in particular bowls etc. I still cannot bake to save my life, but everything else eventually worked itself out.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 8:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

So what do you all use?
We don't use metric at all. Goods here are priced and sold in pounds and ounces and recipes are published in pounds and ounces cups and so on. For example, I currently have a three pound roast in the oven at 350F (as specified by Julia Child); I'd only convert the values to metric if I was filing a report with a government inspectorate.

Metricalation was a great fear of my other half when she enrolled in a professional cooking course. She was greatly relieved to find that Canadian schools use imperial foods as she'd been alarmed by the idea of metric pigs and cows. We eat organic where possible and assume there's some sort of genetic modification involved in metriculating crops and animals. We don't want any of that around here.

Last edited by dbd33; Apr 15th 2007 at 8:15 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 8:18 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

So what do you all use?
I use blobs, wallops, pinches, hand fulls, shakes, splashes and sprinkles.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
This thread is about cooking.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas

**spits coffee all over my screen**
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Craftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond reputeCraftybanshee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
This thread is about cooking.
So, what did you think it was about eh?
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee
So, what did you think it was about eh?
Well, when I see anything written by 'peas' I think sex.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:07 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, when I see anything written by 'peas' I think sex.
Especially when she talks of "blobs, wallops, pinches, hand fulls, shakes, splashes and sprinkles".

Kinky.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Especially when she talks of "blobs, wallops, pinches, hand fulls, shakes, splashes and sprinkles".

Kinky.
Those words ooz sexiness don't they.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:16 pm

Only if spoken/written by the right person.

You see I've met HWP.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Or is that 'ooze', can't remember the spelling, it's a long time since I've done that.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Only if spoken/written by the right person.

You see I've met HWP.
Yes I know you've met her. She told me.
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:18 pm

it's a long time since I've done that.
What? "oozed"?
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes I know you've met her. She told me.
In my dreams.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.