British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Cooking/baking -how do you do it? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/cooking-baking-how-do-you-do-442385/)

canuckgirl Apr 15th 2007 7:53 pm

Cooking/baking -how do you do it?

Just wondering what measurements you Brits here in canada use. Do you still stick with weight measurements or have you switched over to cups etc.
I love British food magazines and cookbooks but I just am so unfamiliar with weighing stuff that I rarely use any recipes.(I drool over the pictures) I know what 1/4c of butter looks like but 50g completely throws me off. I have bought a cheap scale but it is just hard to change-I try and convery British measurements but that can be time consuming.

I am metric in almost everything but I starting cooking and baking in the 70's and am just stuck in my ways.

So what do you all use?

dingbat Apr 15th 2007 7:57 pm

Re: Cooking/baking -how do you do it?

Originally Posted by canuckgirl (Post 4646054)
Just wondering what measurements you Brits here in canada use. Do you still stick with weight measurements or have you switched over to cups etc.
I love British food magazines and cookbooks but I just am so unfamiliar with weighing stuff that I rarely use any recipes.(I drool over the pictures) I know what 1/4c of butter looks like but 50g completely throws me off. I have bought a cheap scale but it is just hard to change-I try and convery British measurements but that can be time consuming.

I am metric in almost everything but I starting cooking and baking in the 70's and am just stuck in my ways.

So what do you all use?

I have a flat scale - Salter Aquatronic. You just shove the bowl/jug on and it automatically adjusts to zero. I got used to the measurements then - as you learn where ingredients sit in particular bowls etc. I still cannot bake to save my life, but everything else eventually worked itself out.

dbd33 Apr 15th 2007 8:07 pm

So what do you all use?

We don't use metric at all. Goods here are priced and sold in pounds and ounces and recipes are published in pounds and ounces cups and so on. For example, I currently have a three pound roast in the oven at 350F (as specified by Julia Child); I'd only convert the values to metric if I was filing a report with a government inspectorate.

Metricalation was a great fear of my other half when she enrolled in a professional cooking course. She was greatly relieved to find that Canadian schools use imperial foods as she'd been alarmed by the idea of metric pigs and cows. We eat organic where possible and assume there's some sort of genetic modification involved in metriculating crops and animals. We don't want any of that around here.

hot wasabi peas Apr 15th 2007 8:18 pm

So what do you all use?

I use blobs, wallops, pinches, hand fulls, shakes, splashes and sprinkles.

steve666 Apr 15th 2007 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas (Post 4646120)

This thread is about cooking.

Craftybanshee Apr 15th 2007 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas (Post 4646120)

**spits coffee all over my screen** :rofl: :eek:

Craftybanshee Apr 15th 2007 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by steve666 (Post 4646244)
This thread is about cooking.

So, what did you think it was about eh? ;)

steve666 Apr 15th 2007 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Craftybanshee (Post 4646270)
So, what did you think it was about eh? ;)

Well, when I see anything written by 'peas' I think sex.

Steve_P Apr 15th 2007 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by steve666 (Post 4646284)
Well, when I see anything written by 'peas' I think sex.

Especially when she talks of "blobs, wallops, pinches, hand fulls, shakes, splashes and sprinkles".

Kinky. :p:rofl::rofl::rofl:

steve666 Apr 15th 2007 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 4646306)
Especially when she talks of "blobs, wallops, pinches, hand fulls, shakes, splashes and sprinkles".

Kinky. :p:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Those words ooz sexiness don't they.

Steve_P Apr 15th 2007 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by steve666 (Post 4646343)

Only if spoken/written by the right person. ;)

You see I've met HWP. :thumbup:

steve666 Apr 15th 2007 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by steve666 (Post 4646343)

Or is that 'ooze', can't remember the spelling, it's a long time since I've done that.

steve666 Apr 15th 2007 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 4646351)
Only if spoken/written by the right person. ;)

You see I've met HWP. :thumbup:

Yes I know you've met her. She told me.

Steve_P Apr 15th 2007 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by steve666 (Post 4646353)
it's a long time since I've done that.

What? "oozed"? :confused::eek::eek:

steve666 Apr 15th 2007 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by steve666 (Post 4646358)
Yes I know you've met her. She told me.

In my dreams.