Contractors

Old Aug 25th 2021, 11:43 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Contractors

One thing that totally 100% irritates me is dealing with contractors.

I've asked locally for recommendations. I and my husband have contacted 6 contractors. 1 came out and looked at the jobsite. 3 gave estimates over the phone. 1 no-show this morning and one that was supposed to come this evening has decided today that we need plans drawn up 1st.

Guess who's got the job?

Are contractor's this flaky in Ontario to?
Old Aug 26th 2021, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contractors

Originally Posted by Piff Poff

I've asked locally for recommendations. I and my husband have contacted 6 contractors. 1 came out and looked at the jobsite. 3 gave estimates over the phone. 1 no-show this morning and one that was supposed to come this evening has decided today that we need plans drawn up 1st.

Guess who's got the job?

It has taken me 4 months to get 2 quotes to renovate 2 bathrooms. Contacted a bunch, sent measurements, photos and description of what we wanted, said they would provide quote and then crickets. Waited a week and then repeated the process, promises to come out and see, again nothing. Finally got one guy to come and look but he seemed to have a problem figuring out that turning a bath tub through 90 degrees would allow a 60x30x22" tub to fit through a 26" doorway, so didn't instill a lot of confidence. Finally found one that seems to know what he is doing, turned up when he said, was recommended by a friend and is similarly priced to the other guy so going with him.
Old Aug 26th 2021, 12:22 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Guess who's got the job?

Not the ones we use. We put up a barn last Christmas and finished staining it this month. That's the second barn we've installed here. We've also installed a riding arena. Along the way there was a need for excavation, concrete pouring, construction of various types and much wiring and lighting. All involved have been on time (allowing that some weather delays are provided for in the contract) and on budget.

Happy to recommend Denco Barns, SRT Electrical, Amaranth Aggregates, Hollowford fencing.

At a previous house we changed the run of the roof and added a floor. The deal with that was that the contractor did all the structural work and left the drywall, tiling, and finishing to us. They subcontracted the wiring, the drawings, and the siding and looked after all the permits. There were snags such as hidden knob and tube. The contractor coped without drama.

Happy to recommend Catalyst General Contractors and their subcontractors (except the first siding guy, he was rubbish).

You do have to be open to the contractors being from anywhere. For example, Catalyst use Brummie electricians. Fortunately, they run like mad and don't have time to speak.

Old Aug 26th 2021, 11:47 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

We need a new septic.

Oh yay.

30 thousand dollars on poop.
Old Aug 27th 2021, 11:44 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

We need a new septic.

Oh yay.

30 thousand dollars on poop.
That risk and cost is just the same in Ontario.
Old Aug 27th 2021, 4:52 pm

I'd rather spend 30k on something I can see and enjoy lol
Old Aug 27th 2021, 5:26 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I'd rather spend 30k on something I can see and enjoy lol

As long as they're there with the equipment, get them to put in a pool.
Old Aug 28th 2021, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
As long as they're there with the equipment, get them to put in a pool.
the thought has crossed my mind.