Landscape experts

Old Aug 21st 2021, 5:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Landscape experts

Is there is any reason one would cover the ground with dried alfalfa where grass used to be?

They had some company out today at the complex they covered all the grass with alfalfa, they several bales worth, same stuff horses eat.

Does smell kind of nice, really just curious as it seems weird to me, but maybe its something done for some reason?
Old Aug 21st 2021, 6:11 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landscape experts

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Is there is any reason one would cover the ground with dried alfalfa where grass used to be?

They had some company out today at the complex they covered all the grass with alfalfa, they several bales worth, same stuff horses eat.

Does smell kind of nice, really just curious as it seems weird to me, but maybe its something done for some reason?
I've heard (somewhere!) that some people use it as top-dressing for grass, it's a really good fertilizer and soil conditioner. Or the condo owners are getting a horse?

ps I'm not a landscape expert
Old Aug 21st 2021, 6:22 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they've re-seeded with grass seed and are using the hay to keep the seed in place until it takes hold. I'm no gardener but the internet offers that explanation.
Old Aug 21st 2021, 7:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

In New Jersey, it was almost always was placed on top of the soil after seeding. I assumed it was to protect the seeds from birds/weather and act as fertilizer.
Old Aug 21st 2021, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Who knew.

Maybe they did plant grass seed, I only noticed after the hay was down mostly, so missed the first part of what they did, I like the smell, kind of miss it in a way, reminds me of being a kid again. (we had goats so we always had some alfalfa bales to supplement their diet)
Old Aug 27th 2021, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Farmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond reputeFarmer on a bike has a reputation beyond repute

Stops the top of the soil drying out while the seed is germinating and growing. If the seed dries out after seed has started to germinate it'll die. Time to seed grass is March to end of April in the LM. Too cold in winter, hot and dry in summer. This has to have been one of the worst years to seed in summer.
Old Aug 28th 2021, 2:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Farmer on a bike
Stops the top of the soil drying out while the seed is germinating and growing. If the seed dries out after seed has started to germinate it'll die. Time to seed grass is March to end of April in the LM. Too cold in winter, hot and dry in summer. This has to have been one of the worst years to seed in summer.
Not my decision, talk to the government employee who would have signed off to plant seed in late August.