Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Comparing Canada to the UK DONT!!!!!!!

Comparing Canada to the UK DONT!!!!!!!

Old Jul 1st 2019, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comparing Canada to the UK DONT!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You mean the cheque guarantee card? That wasn't needed to write a cheque, it was a guarantee the cheque would be honoured (up to a limit) which is actually a good thing compared to a cheque with no guarantee that may cost both account holder and payee a fee in the event of no funds.

No wonder they told you to shut up.
It was a bit more complicated than that... I walked down the street in the town where i had my job to the first bank i met [barclays] and opened an account. They issued me a cheque book, but refused to give me a guarantee card until I had put three months of pay into the account. I had never heard of a guarantee card. And that card doubled as the ATM card. That meant no one would take a cheque from me and I had no way of getting cash other than queuing up at the bank. I learned all this later, so told them I wasn't interested in banking with them any more. They told me to return the cheques they had issued, I told them where they could find the cheques [and never heard from them again]. So, a bit more detail than my first post warranted.

As an aside, we had a British exchange student at university in Canada. It was a source of constant amusement to us how he kept trying to write cheques for everything, such as a round at the pub. The next year, I was an exchange student in England. I tried to open a bank account, they told me to apply and they would let me know the decision. I spent some time trying to explain to them that I was trying to **give** them money, not borrow it. Turned out i still needed to apply [which was a surprise to me].
Old Jul 1st 2019, 7:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by I am I said
It was a bit more complicated than that... I walked down the street in the town where i had my job to the first bank i met [barclays] and opened an account. They issued me a cheque book, but refused to give me a guarantee card until I had put three months of pay into the account. I had never heard of a guarantee card. And that card doubled as the ATM card. That meant no one would take a cheque from me and I had no way of getting cash other than queuing up at the bank.
Well yes, they wouldn't take a cheque because there was no guarantee of payment which is the same as in Canada now and the cheque guarantee card was a guarantee which is something not in Canada. It's a plus for the UK system.

I'm surprised you had no card straight away, they could have just done a low withdrawal limit. That's what I had back then. My cheque guarantee card was also separate to my machine card.

When I had my first Canadian bank account any deposits, even cash ones, would take 10 days to clear. Never that long in the UK.
It's delays like that, relative lack of free banking, lack of automatic overdraft facilities, that make Brits look on the Canadian system as a bit old fashioned.

As an aside, we had a British exchange student at university in Canada. It was a source of constant amusement to us how he kept trying to write cheques for everything, such as a round at the pub.
A good example of how useful the cheque guarantee system was.

The next year, I was an exchange student in England. I tried to open a bank account, they told me to apply and they would let me know the decision. I spent some time trying to explain to them that I was trying to **give** them money, not borrow it. Turned out i still needed to apply [which was a surprise to me].
Yes, it's become a lot harder to open bank accounts in the UK even giving them money.

None of the banks I approached in Canada would give me an account until I got PR. Can't be done they said. That was wrong.

I wanted them to reduce the clearance time for deposits but they said I wasn't paying money in regularly enough. Guess why I wasn't. Most of my income back then was rent and if I paid it in, I couldn't pay bills for a week and a half. I eventually persuaded them.

Canadian banking is much improved now but why do people still want void cheques?
Old Jul 1st 2019, 7:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it was the holds that ticked me off when I first came to Canada, its not something I ever experienced in the US. If I deposited $500 into my account, I had $500 available, got to Canada and always a hold which is difficult when your not high income and a portion of your pay check is being held for 10 days.

Vancity where we bank now only places holds on amounts over $1,000 and we never have any deposit that exceeds that so essentially no holds now.

The only time I am ever asked for void checks is when employers want one for direct deposit, but these days a void check (for us) isn't an actual check, its a piece of a paper we can print online from our online banking that has the account info, and says void check but really isn't a void check.

When I had an account with TD for several years, overall a good experience until the day I got a letter and check in the mail saying they closed my account after a review of customer account blah blah basically saying I wasn't wealthy enough for their liking.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Well yes, they wouldn't take a cheque because there was no guarantee of payment which is the same as in Canada now and the cheque guarantee card was a guarantee which is something not in Canada. It's a plus for the UK system.

I'm surprised you had no card straight away, they could have just done a low withdrawal limit. That's what I had back then. My cheque guarantee card was also separate to my machine card.

When I had my first Canadian bank account any deposits, even cash ones, would take 10 days to clear. Never that long in the UK.
It's delays like that, relative lack of free banking, lack of automatic overdraft facilities, that make Brits look on the Canadian system as a bit old fashioned.

A good example of how useful the cheque guarantee system was.

Yes, it's become a lot harder to open bank accounts in the UK even giving them money.

None of the banks I approached in Canada would give me an account until I got PR. Can't be done they said. That was wrong.

I wanted them to reduce the clearance time for deposits but they said I wasn't paying money in regularly enough. Guess why I wasn't. Most of my income back then was rent and if I paid it in, I couldn't pay bills for a week and a half. I eventually persuaded them.

Canadian banking is much improved now but why do people still want void cheques?
Old Jul 1st 2019, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I used to bank with CIBC until I had a query re a new service charge that had been added to my account. I ended up talking to the Manager, a young guy, who essentially told me that "if you're not happy, just take your money and leave". That was after a shouting match

Fine.

I walked up the street to the BofM, talked to them, I was still working so had a regular cheque being paid in and quite a large savings account. Welcomed with open arms.

Walked back to the CIBC to one of the tellers, closed the savings account and took the money in cash, then said I would be back to close the other account as soon as an SO had been taken out. The tellers all wanted to know why 'cos I had got to know most of them ......... I told them what the Manager had said. Their response was "Please write and complain about his actions. We're sick of him! If you had come to us we would have corrected the service charge."

Too late.

However I did keep the VISA card that a previous manager had got for me in the late 1970s without OH's signature ............. that was still in the day when a married woman had to get her spouse's name on a credit card. The Manager realised I was earning money of my own, and agreed with my rather feminist idea that I shouldn't need someone else's permission ........ in fact, he said that he had got his own wife her own credit card without him also having to have a card on that account.

After the row, I would pay the credit card bill with a cheque from the BofM, either by mail or over the counter. Now I do online banking, so I just transfer money from the BofM to the VISA account.

That card must show a connection to this particular branch because 3 weeks ago I got a letter to say they were updating the branch to make it easier and more adapted to "your needs". Yea, right ............ as I read through the letter it became clear that I could do anything in the bank, using various apps etc etc. What I could NOT do in future was obtain any CASH from them, either over the counter or apparently from a machine.

One funny thing was that for years I had a larger limit on that card than we had on the joint M/C on which OH was the main holder.

Only last year, the limit on my VISA was increased by another $5,000 because I was such a good customer ................ although I have never ever carried over any balance, it's always paid off in full. Banks make their money of those who do carry balances over and pay huge interest.
Old Jul 1st 2019, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
You can't be expected to be familiar with 8 years of posts made before joining the conversation. I think he enjoyed going to Grey Cup, but a home field championship win almost guarantees a positive vibe. When I was on Skype with the Ontario meet-up at Sherlock Holmes bar in TO he seemed amicable, even mellow. Some of the others seemed very mellow. I did get a warning once for giving him shit when he said something insulting, but that's the way of the world. Now that you've made an accusation about his career motivations it's fair to expect a response. Even though he's retired he might still care about that.
I'm apparently not worth a response

Old Jul 1st 2019, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm not bothered about scilly's opinion on this or anything else I can think of. I know (and my former colleagues know) that I held our research centre together, financially and collegially, through those years. Moreover I also can't remember comparing Canada to the UK at any time. We had, before my retirement, always intended to move on to France but in the event it turned out that now have a foot in both France and the UK. Which suits us fine.
For the sake of accuracy, I never ever said that you compared the UK to Canada or vice versa.

What I did post was that I never saw you post anything that was not critical or complaint about Canada. Nothing ever seemed right to or for you.

Last edited by scilly; Jul 1st 2019 at 8:27 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 4:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
I used to bank with CIBC until I had a query re a new service charge that had been added to my account. I ended up talking to the Manager, a young guy, who essentially told me that "if you're not happy, just take your money and leave". That was after a shouting match

Fine.

I walked up the street to the BofM, talked to them, I was still working so had a regular cheque being paid in and quite a large savings account. Welcomed with open arms.

Walked back to the CIBC to one of the tellers, closed the savings account and took the money in cash, then said I would be back to close the other account as soon as an SO had been taken out. The tellers all wanted to know why 'cos I had got to know most of them ......... I told them what the Manager had said. Their response was "Please write and complain about his actions. We're sick of him! If you had come to us we would have corrected the service charge."

Too late.

However I did keep the VISA card that a previous manager had got for me in the late 1970s without OH's signature ............. that was still in the day when a married woman had to get her spouse's name on a credit card. The Manager realised I was earning money of my own, and agreed with my rather feminist idea that I shouldn't need someone else's permission ........ in fact, he said that he had got his own wife her own credit card without him also having to have a card on that account.

After the row, I would pay the credit card bill with a cheque from the BofM, either by mail or over the counter. Now I do online banking, so I just transfer money from the BofM to the VISA account.

That card must show a connection to this particular branch because 3 weeks ago I got a letter to say they were updating the branch to make it easier and more adapted to "your needs". Yea, right ............ as I read through the letter it became clear that I could do anything in the bank, using various apps etc etc. What I could NOT do in future was obtain any CASH from them, either over the counter or apparently from a machine.

One funny thing was that for years I had a larger limit on that card than we had on the joint M/C on which OH was the main holder.

Only last year, the limit on my VISA was increased by another $5,000 because I was such a good customer ................ although I have never ever carried over any balance, it's always paid off in full. Banks make their money of those who do carry balances over and pay huge interest.
I'm apparently not worth a response
Do you see why? It's all about you as ever.

For the sake of accuracy, I never ever said that you compared the UK to Canada or vice versa.

What I did post was that I never saw you post anything that was not critical or complaint about Canada. Nothing ever seemed right to or for you.
Then why did you take such apparent offence at my remarks on FL's rather narrow minded original post on this thread?
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

On a bit of a tangent to the spirit of this thread, I hang my head in dis-belief when reading posts (usually on the 'other' forum) where people start off with 'I am taking a trip back to my home country to...…(whatever)'.

I simply don't understand this 'home country' thing, surely by definition, Canada is (or should be) your 'home'. Fort as long as you think of somewhere else as your 'home' country, I suspect you will always rant about or long for things from said 'home country'. I get 'my country of origin', just not the 'home country' thing.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 4:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
On a bit of a tangent to the spirit of this thread, I hang my head in dis-belief when reading posts (usually on the 'other' forum) where people start off with 'I am taking a trip back to my home country to...…(whatever)'.

I simply don't understand this 'home country' thing, surely by definition, Canada is (or should be) your 'home'. Fort as long as you think of somewhere else as your 'home' country, I suspect you will always rant about or long for things from said 'home country'. I get 'my country of origin', just not the 'home country' thing.
Couldn't agree more. All the countries we've lived in have been home countries during occupancy. I've never once regretted a move, nor have I openly compared one to another. Certain posters seem to believe that is also mandatory to blindly approve of every aspect of your temporary home country or be identified as an incalcitrant moaner.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't agree more. All the countries we've lived in have been home countries during occupancy. I've never once regretted a move, nor have I openly compared one to another. Certain posters seem to believe that is also mandatory to blindly approve of every aspect of your temporary home country or be identified as an incalcitrant moaner.
Oh don't get me wrong. I have been known to 'compare', but purely as a 'well isn't that interesting how you make the mistake of thinking things the sound similar are the same, when in fact they are quite different in detail' - like TFSA compared to UK ISA's - at first glance they seem the same but are different in very important points of detail when examined closely. So I too have fallen foul of assuming 'x' is the same as UK 'x'. But PURELY from the point of view of 'well it goes to show you not to assume' etc.
Old Jul 2nd 2019, 9:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Some people view things or just feel differently I guess.

Canada is my residence, but California is my home, and that is how I refer to it. I don't feel at home in Canada, I feel like a long term visitor.

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick

Old Jul 8th 2019, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

MelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond repute

Interestingly, since our arrival to our new home on 1 May (I will get around to writing a settlement report as soon as I can; literally every day since we've arrived (when we've not been travelling) we've been doing settling in jobs and the time just seems to fly by), I've been asked by several Canadians how Vancouver "compares" to Melbourne, AU (my last home). The truth is, and what I've said, is that I've been struck by just how similar they are. I've felt "at home" in Canada every day since day 1. And so far Canada is a better home for me than Australia ever was (+1 tells me I may feel differently after the Vancouver winter. I keep reminding +1 that (i) I hate relentlessly hot, sunny weather; and (ii) one of the reasons we're now in Vancouver was so I could get away from relentlessly hot, sunny weather. My Irish rose complexion is much happier in Vancouver).

I can understand why comparisons with the UK might be different though. Having lived there too, the UK felt more different to me than Canada and Australia do to each other. I think the reasons for that are fairly straightforward: Canada and Australia were dominions/colonies of about the same age; the legal/governance structures are very similar; they share the same head of state and a relationship with the mother country; and they're both middle powers with a reliance on resources and trade for their economic fortunes. I know there are many differences in matters of detail, but for me there's a feeling of great similarity. The mother country on the other hand has points of difference which I think more starkly distinguish it from each of Canada and Australia.

So from me so far you won't be getting any complaints about Canada. I love my new home, and I can't wait to be eligible to apply for citizenship!

Last edited by MelVan; Jul 8th 2019 at 8:21 pm.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah the impression I get is that Canada and Australia have a lot in common, in terms of how cities were built out, architecture and even shared laws and policies. An example is the Strata Act, which is used to manage many multifamily dwellings in BC, was invented in Australia and just imported into the legal system here.
Old Jul 8th 2019, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

We spent time in Australia in the mid-1970s and had fun comparing major cities down there with up here in Canada.

There was a match for every one ........... and they even had a "wacky" state governor in Queensland very similar to the one that we had in BC at that time.
Old Jul 9th 2019, 1:15 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
The man's right, we all moved here for reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of cheese. I for one miss pork pies, but guess what? they're quite easy to make and they're far better than those you get in the UK.
Next time your in Heathrow go to the Fullers Pub in the airport. It wasn't so much the Pork Pie but the mustard that I was able to dip it into made it unbelievable. I wish I could replicate that!

Originally Posted by caretaker
I don't get the quality of life thing. Perhaps if you have a decent paying gig in the boonies but here in Toronto we have the worst traffic in North America and a housing market propped up by money laundering leaving everybody broke. Add the poor allocation of vacation time and I feel your quality of life would be higher in many European or smaller US cities.

Originally Posted by Oink
You sound like you're a 52 year old from Preston called Tony watching Stormzy headlining Glastonbury .
Brilliant!

Spot on! It's not going to change anything....nothing happens in Canada.

Originally Posted by MelVan

So from me so far you won't be getting any complaints about Canada. I love my new home, and I can't wait to be eligible to apply for citizenship!
We'll see.