Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Comparing Canada to the UK DONT!!!!!!!

Comparing Canada to the UK DONT!!!!!!!

Old Jun 28th 2019, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Comparing Canada to the UK DONT!!!!!!!

I am in one of those moods for a rant when it comes to comparing Canada to the UK especially day to day living and services. Yes at times it can be useful if not sure if to make the move or not but it stops there. Once you have moved then what's the point apart from the quintessential part of being a Brit that allows you to complain.

I think most of us who moved here did it for a number of reasons such as marriage, new job or whatever else you chose but I am pretty sure nobody decided to move here for car insurance prices, access to high speed internet, places that you can't buy booze at or the price and selection of cheeses available.

I sometimes wonder why some move from the UK to Canada. Are there websites we don't know about that promises life will be better in Canada or that the UK is that bad (was going to use a different word) to live in? Is it a BREXIT thing and people just want out or do people really think life in Canada will be the same as it would in the UK?

Once you get here moan and bitch away if you suddenly find that your local grocery store isn't selling Walkers crisps or Robinson squash. I have seen many complaints about the banking system here and I am still waiting to see what you can't do with a Canadian bank account that you can do with a UK one. Depending which Province you end up in you might not get the choice of shopping around for car insurance ie BC, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

Complain away but guess what IT AINT GONNA CHANGE.

There are lots of things that sometimes we Canadians want what the UK has like cheap flights, culture, historic buildings older than 150 years old and mmmmm gotta think about this.
It is Canada and we do things differently. We tend to write strongly worded letters to our Government rather than taking to the streets in large numbers and the odd bit of wanton damage and destruction.
In other words we bend over and take it as that's the way things are and change comes at a sloth's pace over here.

Ask away for advice before you get here but once here you are then stuck although the door is still open to go back to the UK and I am sure Canada will survive without you.
Old Jun 28th 2019, 5:05 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comparing Canada to the UK DONT!!!!!!!

Ahhhhh... a rant that demands rants.
The man's right, we all moved here for reasons that have nothing to do with the quality of cheese. I for one miss pork pies, but guess what? they're quite easy to make and they're far better than those you get in the UK.
If there's that little something that you really can't live without then there's always a way to sort it personally without demanding that the entire country changes how it works simply to satisfy the need. I'm afraid that route's a dead end that will only turn you into a whinging pomme.
We all shake our heads at some antics that these colonials get up to but, hey, I'm one of those colonists now so it pays to loosen up and accept the immovable object that society is because none of us is an irresistible force.
Old Jun 28th 2019, 5:20 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Brits move to Australia and complain it's too hot.
Brits move to practically any part of Canada and complain about the cold and snow.
Brits living in the UK complain about the rain.

Can you spot a trend? It's what we like to do.

Last edited by Danny B; Jun 28th 2019 at 5:22 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2019, 5:24 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I sometimes wonder why some move from the UK to Canada.
Moose, Mounties, and Mountains.

Old Jun 28th 2019, 5:35 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Brits move to Australia and complain it's too hot.
Brits move to practically any part of Canada and complain about the cold and snow.
Brits living in the UK complain about the rain.

Can you spot a trend? It's what we like to do.
To be fair, Australia IS too hot

Many moons ago when I joined BE, I'd get a bit irate at complaints from people who'd immigrated here - too isolated, food's crap, we're unfriendly (are not!) too expensive etc etc. I look at it differently now, moving to a new country can be a bit overwhelming and sometimes having a moan about the smaller/daft things can release some of that pressure.
Old Jun 28th 2019, 5:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Complain away but guess what IT AINT GONNA CHANGE..
But it has changed and no doubt there will be more changes.

There are more flavours of Pringles than there were - though still no Paprika. What used to be only half a dozen things like Branston, 'proper' pickled onions instead of just those little sweet things, Rose's Lime marmalade and only in Bulk Barn is now much more and also in Sobeys and Walmart.

One can now order groceries on line and have them delivered.

Things do change when people complain.

What is it that someone else has in their signature? Oh, yes...

Old Jun 28th 2019, 6:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I am in one of those moods for a rant when it comes to comparing Canada to the UK especially day to day living and services. Yes at times it can be useful if not sure if to make the move or not but it stops there. Once you have moved then what's the point apart from the quintessential part of being a Brit that allows you to complain.

I think most of us who moved here did it for a number of reasons such as marriage, new job or whatever else you chose but I am pretty sure nobody decided to move here for car insurance prices, access to high speed internet, places that you can't buy booze at or the price and selection of cheeses available.

I sometimes wonder why some move from the UK to Canada. Are there websites we don't know about that promises life will be better in Canada or that the UK is that bad (was going to use a different word) to live in? Is it a BREXIT thing and people just want out or do people really think life in Canada will be the same as it would in the UK?

Once you get here moan and bitch away if you suddenly find that your local grocery store isn't selling Walkers crisps or Robinson squash. I have seen many complaints about the banking system here and I am still waiting to see what you can't do with a Canadian bank account that you can do with a UK one. Depending which Province you end up in you might not get the choice of shopping around for car insurance ie BC, Saskatchewan and Manitoba.

There are lots of things that sometimes we Canadians want what the UK has like cheap flights, culture, historic buildings older than 150 years old and mmmmm gotta think about this.
It is Canada and we do things differently. We tend to write strongly worded letters to our Government rather than taking to the streets in large numbers and the odd bit of wanton damage and destruction.
In other words we bend over and take it as that's the way things are and change comes at a sloth's pace over here.

Ask away for advice before you get here but once here you are then stuck although the door is still open to go back to the UK and I am sure Canada will survive without you.
This is such a Little Englander thing to rant about. Get some perspective, man. Everyone in this room is from a different country and they all talk about what's better or worse where they came from or wherever else they lived. The British are not special in doing this. Generally people try to introduce as many of the best features of home to Canada as they can; that's why Canada has good food.

They're all united, of course, in laughing at us for Brexit, even if we've been gone too long to vote.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, I can relate to this rant, I had a similar one a few years ago: CANADA IS NOT THE UK!

I think my rant was a bit unwarranted though and I do actually apologize for it, but totally get the frustration.

Canada has also “caught up” in a lot of areas as others have mentioned.

I do think this forum has actually improved since then and there are a lot more people on Canada’s side now than there used to be.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 9:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Not in Canada but I have a lot of sympathy with the OP.

I am fed up with Brits who come to Hungary - simply, and only, because its CHEAP and then moan about how things are here, constantly drawing simplistic & unrealistic comparisons with the UK - & how everything "there" is so much better.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 1:37 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

We're #1! (well, #3 overall).

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/canada
Old Jun 29th 2019, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

I work in tourism and have people from mostly English-speaking countries as guests. They book a tour to Canada because they see these pictures of Lake Louise and Maligne Lake and when they are here, they complain about how hard the mattresses are, how soft the mattresses are, how there is no decent coffee, how expensive everything is, how there is no decent milk, how cold it is, how hot it is, how there is no air-conditioning in hotel rooms in Banff (when you just have to open the window to freeze to death) , and I could go on and on...
Those people were from UK, Australia, NZ, Germany, Singapore, Brunei, South Africa, Malaysia etc....
It seems to be a human trait to as soon as you expose yourself to an unknown environment, you get more sensitive about the world around you and then you notice what you are missing or what's different.
Old Jun 29th 2019, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

This complaining about everything and how things were much better "back home"happened so often with Brits who emigrated to Australia during the big exodus from the UK in the 1960s that the Aussies, native-born and naturalized, took to calling such moaners B***** Poms, and told them if they didn't like it to go back home.

We took friends to Vancouver Airport around 1969/70, they were returning to Australia after 2 years here, but had spent about 6 or 7 years in Australia immediately prior to that after emigrating from the UK around 1963/4.

A British woman in the line-up to check in started complaining in a loud voice about all that was wrong with Australia. Our friend listened for so long, then couldn't take it any longer.

He marched up to her, then we heard his loud and still-strong London accent calling her a B***** Pom, and telling her that if she couldn't take she should go back home, or shut up.

OH and I shrivelled hearing him, but others in the line-up applauded him.

We were down there in 1975/6, and witnessed more of that same behaviour towards complainers in many parts of Australia.

We were considered OK despite our British accents because a) we were usually with either native-born Australians or long-time immigrants, and b) we almost always had a Canada pin either on our clothes or back pack. But OH was nearly attacked on Boxing Day at Melbourne Cricket Ground when some young guys who had been taking the mickey out of an obvious new Brit immigrant ............. still dressed in a 3-piece suit and trilby in 100F temperature ........... suddenly shouted "there's another 'ere", pointing at OH. He was saved because his companions (relations) shouted "Nah, he's OK, he's Canadian"!!

I don't know whether it still as common now, but it certainly was back then!
Old Jun 30th 2019, 5:10 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

You sound like you're a 52 year old from Preston called Tony watching Stormzy headlining Glastonbury .
Old Jun 30th 2019, 5:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I am in one of those moods for a rant
Are you coming down with man flu?

I sometimes wonder why some move from the UK to Canada. Are there websites we don't know about that promises life will be better in Canada
Yup. Certainly. Marketing is the name of the game & not just for Canada. I give you ....... New Zealand.

or that the UK is that bad (was going to use a different word) to live in? Is it a BREXIT thing and people just want out
Yup. Not exclusive to the UK mind you.

but once here you are then stuck although the door is still open to go back to the UK and I am sure Canada will survive without you.
This won't help your mood but it really is not that easy or simple. I do agree though that a country will survive with one less immigrant on its shores as the marketing + policies might mean there are several more lining up to take that place. Immigration = $.

Old Jun 30th 2019, 3:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes wonder why some move from the UK to Canada.

I never have moved from the UK to Canada. I moved to Canada twice, the first time from California and the second time from Germany.

Which is of course the main complaint.

Yes, you do. and add to that the near universally shitty climate.

See above. It is what it is. An uninspiring place to live in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.