Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Commute in downtown Calgary times?

Commute in downtown Calgary times?

Old Oct 20th 2011, 5:28 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of
Default Commute in downtown Calgary times?

Anyone do the Cochrane to downtown Calgary or Strathmore to downtown Calgary run in rush hour and how long does it take?

Ta, GavinR
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:01 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Commute in downtown Calgary times?

I'd be more concerned about the cost of parking downtown-apparently amongst the highest in the world.

Are you able to get the c-train?
Old Oct 20th 2011, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
Anyone do the Cochrane to downtown Calgary or Strathmore to downtown Calgary run in rush hour and how long does it take?

Ta, GavinR
Most would drive to a C-train station for the reason mentioned by Jericho above, not an issue if you have free parking as part of your employment package.

If you are driving right into downtown the travel times from both will be similar and could be anything from 40 mins to 2 hours depending upon time if travel and weather and traffic conditions.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
If you are driving right into downtown the travel times from both will be similar and could be anything from 40 mins to 2 hours depending upon time if travel and weather and traffic conditions.
Isn't this when everyone living there pipes up with 20 min commutes? Shorter than if i went to downtown, yet driving almost straight past my door?

Quite a few peeps i know (admittedly in Calgary NW) drive to edworthy park and bike in for a most of the year as its a snow cleared route.

I suspect what a lot of outlivers do is arrive at wrok very eary and leave early too.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gryphea
Isn't this when everyone living there pipes up with 20 min commutes? Shorter than if i went to downtown, yet driving almost straight past my door?

Quite a few peeps i know (admittedly in Calgary NW) drive to edworthy park and bike in for a most of the year as its a snow cleared route.

I suspect what a lot of outlivers do is arrive at wrok very eary and leave early too.

We looked at buying an acreage around Strathmore and I have a few friends that live there and work downtown. They tend to drive to the Rundle station (or thereabouts) and then take transit in. They said that they can do it in around 40 mins, but, like me, they are in the office by 7:00 a.m.

No doubt, some real experts will post soon
Old Oct 20th 2011, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

If you are starting work at 8am, leave Cochrane at 6.45. If you were to drive straight down the Crowchild, then take Memorial, the main hiccup is around 24th Ave and McMahon Stadium.

If you were to come in along 16th Ave, the slow bit is around Bowness/Home Road.

If you were to go up and over Sarcee Trail and cut back down you hit the westside rail construction.

Every route has at least one chunky slow point, ie, a 10 minute crawl before you can move again.

I work off 16th Ave - I leave home at about 7.10 and get to work at about 7.50am - just in time to park up, rush up steps, find an elevator that works and nip in through my office door at about 8.02am

If I were living in Cochrane and working in the downtown core, I'd take the train. There are a couple of daily buses too.

Strathmore - can't really comment, but colleagues come in from there - similar drive time to me I think.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 4:09 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Thanks All

Free downtown parking so that's taken care of. Ann M, you mentioned the train, I assume you're talking about the C-train from Rundle?

Unfortunately our move to the Bahamas all fell through after my wife lived 8 months down there and I spent the same time finishing renovating the house and packing

So back to Calgary for us again!
Old Oct 20th 2011, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks All

Free downtown parking so that's taken care of. Ann M, you mentioned the train, I assume you're talking about the C-train from Rundle?

Unfortunately our move to the Bahamas all fell through after my wife lived 8 months down there and I spent the same time finishing renovating the house and packing

Rundle is on the north east line (I believe). From Cochrane, you would be travelling from the West so would be looking at stations in the North West or, possibly, when it is finished, on the west line (may be difficult to get to from Cochrane though). I have no idea.

Here is the map: C-Train Map
Old Oct 20th 2011, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

From Cochrane to downtown, using the C-train, I would drive to the Crowfoot station, park up and take the train straight into the core.

Crowfoot is currently the last/first stop on the northwestern area. The line is currently under construction to add another station around the Tuscany/Royal Oak/Royal Ridge communities - which may delete a few more minutes of driving in due course. I don't know when this is due to open but I suspect we are many months away yet.

Parking at Cowfoot can be an issue unless you arrive a silly o'clock (before 7am). I'd think you would be sitting on the train for about 25 minutes. Then, obviously depending on how close the station is to your office, add another 10 minutes to faff around and walk a few blocks.

Free parking in the downtown area is a big plus.
In which case, I'd still drive.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 9:01 pm
Meh

Ta very much.

I've never understood the mentality of building stations and then not putting in enough parking to enable you to use them.
Old Oct 20th 2011, 11:11 pm
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard that the parking at Crowfoot fills up way before 7am nowadays so if you had to take the train you would probably need to pay for a reserved parking stall.

Very lucky to have free parking downtown - a few of my work colleagues commute to downtown from Cochrane and the vast majority stagger their hours outside the morning and afternoon rush.

Station at Tuscany/Rocky Ridge was planned for 2014, but there were rumbles a few months ago that Council might divert the funding for some road improvements down in the SE or something, although nothing is set in stone as yet.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 1:05 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks All

I was wondering why the Calgary questions, that's a shame, but everything happens for a reason. There is a MK 1 Capri for sale in Lacombe - if you've not seen in on kijiji
Old Oct 21st 2011, 3:02 am
Meh

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I was wondering why the Calgary questions, that's a shame, but everything happens for a reason. There is a MK 1 Capri for sale in Lacombe - if you've not seen in on kijiji
Such is life. The way the economy is looking down South we're probably better off up here at the moment anyway.
Another Mk1, hmmm, all I need to do now is find a place in Calgary with 2 or 3 double garages at a reasonable price!
Speaking of Capri's, how is the Mk2 coming along?
Old Oct 21st 2011, 1:21 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Such is life. The way the economy is looking down South we're probably better off up here at the moment anyway.
Another Mk1, hmmm, all I need to do now is find a place in Calgary with 2 or 3 double garages at a reasonable price!
Speaking of Capri's, how is the Mk2 coming along?
Tucked away in the garage, half polished at the moment, a few more pressing things to be sorted out before the white stuff comes, some cars have to be moved elsewhere first and a shed has to have a roof put on it (it's his parts shed) We did go to look at the Capri, the guys got two, both for sale, only got one at his property, a little bit of a project in that there is no engine in it but there are two engines apparently...

I think you would have got bored in the Bahamas in the long run, there is only so much sand, sea and blue skies you can look at
Old Oct 21st 2011, 4:24 pm
Meh

I think you would have got bored in the Bahamas in the long run, there is only so much sand, sea and blue skies you can look at
Huh, rub it in why don't you