Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Chrysler going into bankrupcy as early as tomorrow

Chrysler going into bankrupcy as early as tomorrow

Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:56 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Chrysler going into bankrupcy as early as tomorrow

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...4S8&refer=home

And because I didn't quite understand what was going on and why heres an explanation!!!!!

If a company goes into BK court with any hope of surviving and coming out the other side it must have interim financing to operate the company and pay the bills while it's under court protection. Because of the credit crunch last Fall no banks or other lenders are willing to front Chrysler - or GM - the money to restructure.

In the absence of this interim financing the only option is the put a lock on the door and ..
send everybody home forever; but now the workers are still working
sell off the assets; but now some assets will still be making vehicles and profits
let the debtholders collect whatever they can; but now the debtholders get a guaranteed payoff and likely a small profit.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:59 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chrysler going into bankrupcy as early as tomorrow

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...4S8&refer=home

And because I didn't quite understand what was going on and why heres an explanation!!!!!

If a company goes into BK court with any hope of surviving and coming out the other side it must have interim financing to operate the company and pay the bills while it's under court protection. Because of the credit crunch last Fall no banks or other lenders are willing to front Chrysler - or GM - the money to restructure.

In the absence of this interim financing the only option is the put a lock on the door and ..
send everybody home forever; but now the workers are still working
sell off the assets; but now some assets will still be making vehicles and profits
let the debtholders collect whatever they can; but now the debtholders get a guaranteed payoff and likely a small profit.
They're not in bankruptcy court yet.

The Treasury Department has sweetened its offer to holders of Chrysler’s secured debt in a last-minute attempt to keep the iconic American automaker out of bankruptcy court, according to people briefed on the matter.

More here: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/30/bu...30auto.html?hp
Old Apr 29th 2009, 10:59 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bugger!
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:27 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly don't think that that will be accepted. With Fiat offering 20%, the pensionholders and the like with 55% and the government with the rest - seems like a simple solution to me.
Old Apr 29th 2009, 11:38 pm

I honestly don't think that that will be accepted. With Fiat offering 20%, the pensionholders and the like with 55% and the government with the rest - seems like a simple solution to me.
Bankruptcy is a bit of a misnomer right now.

Chrysler is not going to disappear just yet.

At present it is likely they will file for Chapter 11 which is protection from creditors.

They will reorganize while in this stage and emerge a new company.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 12:27 am
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Bankruptcy is a bit of a misnomer right now.

Chrysler is not going to disappear just yet.

At present it is likely they will file for Chapter 11 which is protection from creditors.

They will reorganize while in this stage and emerge a new company.
A bit like an easy get out then??? Maybe the same will happen with GM, I know there are something like 6 plants planned for closure in the states and as of next year Pontiac will be no more

(get you parts orders in now people)

quality piece of selling there from me I thought lol
Old Apr 30th 2009, 12:59 am

A bit like an easy get out then??? Maybe the same will happen with GM, I know there are something like 6 plants planned for closure in the states and as of next year Pontiac will be no more

(get you parts orders in now people)

quality piece of selling there from me I thought lol
Sort of an easy get out, yes.

Air Canada did it a few years back and they're still around, although it looks like they may have to do it again..

No real need for the hard sell my dear.

GM did say they will produce parts for all discontinued models for tens past the last year the particular model was produced.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

I love my little PT cruiser.....i hope they don't go under
Old Apr 30th 2009, 3:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If they go it will probably be Chapter 11 reorganization which will allow them to continue operating under the guidance of the US Bankruptcy Court and a trustee will be appointed. This would make sense if a deal is going through, as the new owners will want the best chance of success which means a reorganization is due.

I doubt they will go straight to Chapter 7 which is total liquidation of the company and the company ceases to exist.

Canada has similar laws in place where a company can go bankrupt and continue to operate, just can't recall what its called, Air Canada did it a few years back.
Old Apr 30th 2009, 3:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
I love my little PT cruiser.....i hope they don't go under
Hey - on a positive note, it might become a "collectible"
Old Apr 30th 2009, 4:34 am
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Calgal
Hey - on a positive note, it might become a "collectible"
Highly unlikely...........something like a Pontiac Solstice GXP or Pontiac G8 will though
Old Apr 30th 2009, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brownstar
Highly unlikely...........something like a Pontiac Solstice GXP or Pontiac G8 will though
Wasn't really meant seriously
Old Apr 30th 2009, 6:15 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Its done...............and these are the cars that killed it
Old Apr 30th 2009, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Canada has similar laws in place where a company can go bankrupt and continue to operate, just can't recall what its called, Air Canada did it a few years back.

CCAA proceedings - http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/sta...85-c-c-36.html
Old Apr 30th 2009, 11:13 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

We have 2 Chrysler's a leased Nitro (lease ends in July) and a Caliber that has ?had? 2 years left on Warranty. - Bugger....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.