Christmas Bonus.

Old Dec 10th 2012, 3:36 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Christmas Bonus.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
It shouldnt but it happens for a variety of reasons perhaps its that sense of entitlement many feel is owed to them.
So lets say I have a cold or feeling really under the weather and really shouldnt be at work less I start spreading my germs around other workers.
If Im getting paid and I am sick then I wont go into work. If Im not getting paid then chances are I cant afford not to go in and thereby put others at risk.
Am I really going to go to the nearest A & E room or Doctors office or walk in clinic due to a cold or other minor ailment. I phone work up and say I wont be in for the next 3 days. When I get back to work Im never asked for a Drs note or proof of said illness. Now if Im not genuinely sick I can pull the culture of pulling a sicky when not really sick knowing I wont be questioned about it.
How do really police this culture? If you have a cold or minor ailment do you seek medical attention or just use over the counter drugs to combat the condition. Without visiting a Dr how do you prove you were actually sick?
What does this have to do with accruing pay for sick days not taken?? If anything it might encourage workers to go to work when sick so they can take time off when they are well, or save the money up.

As for policing sick leave then there are procedures for managing absence from work. They work.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 3:38 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

My contract or collective bargaining agreement allows this. Read and weep if so inclined.
Article 35
Sick Leave With Pay

Credits

a. An employee shall earn sick leave credits at the rate of nine decimal three seven five (9.375) hours for each calendar month for which the employee receives pay for at least seventy-five (75) hours.
b. A shift worker shall earn additional sick leave credits at the rate of one decimal two five (1.25) hours for each calendar month during which he or she works shifts and he or she receives pay for at least seventy-five (75) hours. Such credits shall not be carried over in the next fiscal year and are available only if the employee has already used one hundred and twelve decimal five (112.5) hours of sick leave credits during the current fiscal year.
Translate please
Old Dec 10th 2012, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

For me personally No but thats because I dont invest in those terms. As for my OH then her investments with a financial planner etc were reduced by almost 50% of what she had actually invested due to the crashes etc.
Great all those banks that were bailed out and yet CEOs etc still got bonuses etc. Of course that was all the fault of the public sector
I don't believe anyone is blaming the public sector. If I have read this thread correctly, the issue appears to be that some are not happy that some in the public sector appear to be able to "benefit" financially, from not being sick by collecting an amount that should be used to ensure that those that are sick are not disadvantaged financially.

I guess it would be a bit like being able to claim a welfare payment upon retirement, for the fact that, during one's working life, one did not rely upon welfare as much as others have.

I blame the Unions

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Dec 10th 2012 at 3:42 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 3:41 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Im a public sector worker and I dont find the need to cheat or lie nor do I get any bonuses for not using sick time I earn. There again we trusted the private sector to invest our money wisely and not lend money to those who did not deserve it or money for a mortgage that they could not really afford.
Average public sector worker uses double the sick time of a private sector worker. How do you explain that?

Average private sector worker is not an investment banker.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
What does this have to do with accruing pay for sick days not taken?? If anything it might encourage workers to go to work when sick so they can take time off when they are well, or save the money up.

As for policing sick leave then there are procedures for managing absence from work. They work.
As I pointed out some workers get to accrue sick time and others dont or can only earn a maximum number of hours. Some contracts allow for workers to cash in a number of hours while others dont. There are arguments for and against this method. I dont get any bonuses for unused sick time so I have no horse in this race. Perhaps my ethics and values are different to others. Why would I want someone working next to me when they are sick especially if the sickness can be transmitted to others.
If sick stay at home.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Average public sector worker uses double the sick time of a private sector worker. How do you explain that?

Average private sector worker is not an investment banker.
Thats easy they have accumulated X amount of hours sick time or reached their maximum allowance and cannot earn anymore. They have seen the abuse in the system so they figure hmmm Im going to pull a sicky be it a Friday or Monday of a long weekend.

Yes I know the average worker is not an investment banker but again the public sector is not profit driven whereas the private sector is.
My Agency is not in the business of making a profit for the Govt and neither are the vast majority of other Govt depts. Yes we do have some cost recovery fees for certain practices. It has always been argued that the private sector is more efficient at doing certain things than the Govt.
So here is one for you to answer and ponder about.
If they privatized Passport Canada do you think the system would be run better and that passports would be cheaper?
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:18 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

If they privatized Passport Canada do you think the system would be run better and that passports would be cheaper?
Yes.

However that's not the point. The sick pay system is abused and it should be changed. The problem is that it's seen as a benefit that no union is going to give up. It should not be this way. Employee rights when ill should written into employment in law - none of this banking time or bonus for not lying crap that goes on now.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I don't believe anyone is blaming the public sector. If I have read this thread correctly, the issue appears to be that some are not happy that some in the public sector appear to be able to "benefit" financially, from not being sick by collecting an amount that should be used to ensure that those that are sick are not disadvantaged financially.

I guess it would be a bit like being able to claim a welfare payment upon retirement, for the fact that, during one's working life, one did not rely upon welfare as much as others have.

I blame the Unions
There again one can read the Unions (my union) latest propaganda message about sick time in the Federal Public Service in response to the CFIB report on sick time that probably Alan2005 is referring to
http://www.psac-afpc.com/news/2012/i...121207-e.shtml
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

Where I work, the term sick leave is not used for anything less than three day off. Instead we use the term wellness. We are entitled to 1.25 days of wellness per month. We can use this time untill sick leave kicks in or we can just use it when we do not feel like going in to work, no questions asked and no stigma attached.

If we do not use all our wellness, 50% is carried forward into the following year as vacation time.

As for sick pay, We get paid only 75% of gross income for the first 6 months falling to 67% for the next 18 months. But of course they have worked it so it is tax free.

As for bonuses, we received a loyalty bonus earlier in the year (it paid for my summer vacation).

At chrismas time we receive a nominal bonus of about $100. In the past they used to give everyone a turkey but now they give us each money to buy a turkey, plus pay the bill at the restaurant for the staff christmas dinner.

My work is funded by health Canada, and they want to have a heathy workforce, and the use of Wellness encourages this. Nobody abuses this right and we have a much happier workforce and extremely low staff turnover as a result.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes.

However that's not the point. The sick pay system is abused and it should be changed. The problem is that it's seen as a benefit that no union is going to give up. It should not be this way. Employee rights when ill should written into employment in law - none of this banking time or bonus for not lying crap that goes on now.
Im not disagreeing with you merely showing that there is a culture out there of people who will take advantage of any system. Cant afford to pay for house insurance or car insurance well dont pay it and hope your house doesnt catch fire or you have an accident.
Banned from driving well just carry on driving chances are the filth wont pull you over.
Not available to work because you are on the beach in Mexico for 2 weeks sure just keep claiming your EI payments.
Dont agree with the booze limit sure just smuggle extra bottles in.
Dont want to pay a contracter the going rate sure just offer cash and dont put it on the books.
Sure claim on your income tax this and that as a tax break and hope you dont get audited.
This culture will never change because it costs you extra money or paying more in taxes and we cant have that now can we
How do you change the above or do we just pick and choose what suits us as individuals and to hell with the rest?
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:36 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i only ever got 2 xmas bonus in all the years i worked in the UK and then they were a couple hundred notes..the bonus usually was that you still had a job in January..I never expect a xmas bonus or count on it even if i know that im getting one..this year i got mine last week..nice little 10% of my yearly salary..so im flying home business class for xmas as a treat.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:45 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Im not disagreeing with you merely showing that there is a culture out there of people who will take advantage of any system. Cant afford to pay for house insurance or car insurance well dont pay it and hope your house doesnt catch fire or you have an accident.
Banned from driving well just carry on driving chances are the filth wont pull you over.
Not available to work because you are on the beach in Mexico for 2 weeks sure just keep claiming your EI payments.
Dont want to pay a contracter the going rate sure just offer cash and dont put it on the books.
Sure claim on your income tax this and that as a tax break and hope you dont get audited.
This culture will never change because it costs you extra money or paying more in taxes and we cant have that now can we
How do you change the above or do we just pick and choose what suits us as individuals and to hell with the rest?

I've read Publius and until the unjust tyrannous power of the LCB’s are checked then I say bollox to the limits. According to natural law, we have to the right, albeit the duty to revolt against such unjust powers and I bring in sausages.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Oink
I've read Publius and until the unjust tyrannous power of the LCB’s are checked then I say bollox to the limits. According to natural law, we have to the right, albeit the duty to revolt against such unjust powers and I bring in sausages.
And I dont have a problem with that per se however one should accept that if doing that then one should keep gob shut if caught doing it.
Rather than pointing out the obvious limitation of freedoms and the tyranny perhaps gob shut practice may result in a CBSA officer giving you a verbal warning and not seizing the said items or collecting on them
Old Dec 10th 2012, 4:53 pm

For most of those there are risks and the consequences are actually quite bad if you get caught. The difference between that and sick days is that there is no reward for not doing them.

Sure, there will always be people that game any system. It just seems that a system that is so easily gamed needs improvement. Like EI I don't expect this to change. The unions won't accept it, and it gives the employers something to agree to keep in return for low wage rises.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 5:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes.

Interesting point you make about Passport Canada.
So lets say it went over to the private sector would it be then profit based or just merely cost recovery?
Would the passports still be printed in Canada or farmed out overseas to the lowest bidder. Would their call center be located in Canada or India?
What do you think a passport would cost?
Would the integrity and security of this system still be in place?
Would the service of renewals be any quicker?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.