Chili Con Carne

Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:40 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chili Con Carne

Originally Posted by bats
Go for it.
On the side, as they say in N. America.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:41 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
I'd ditch the salad
Really?
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:44 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Really?
Don't ditch it, just make it wholly out of nacho chips, that works well !
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:47 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Nope - if w hae a load of people over - chilli is my go to. Do two slow cookers full (one more spicy than the other and make one with baked beans instead of red ones) that way there's a choice.

Serve with buns, and a salad and beer. Plain salad with different dressings on the table, bacon bits etc.

If you don't wanna do a salad put a plate of raw veg out (broccoli, cauliflower, celery, carrots, peppers) and a few dips.

Put a tub of cottage cheese out too.

Fills you up and is quick and easy
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Shard
Damn, I like chilli and beer! Wrong continent

Definitely agree on the sour cream or Greek yogurt side.

How much beef are you budgeting per person and what's your beef/ beans proportion? At home I tend to have 200g made chilli as a meal, but I would double that for party purposes. I used to use one can (400g) beans to 1kg beef but lately have been upping the bean content as it's healthier.
Originally Posted by Shard
Don't ditch it, just make it wholly out of nacho chips, that works well !
Nachos my arse. They'll get a nice mixed salad like my nan would make when the vicar would come to tea. As for meat and beans, just a bit of both I guess.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:51 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Nachos my arse. They'll get a nice mixed salad like my nan would make when the vicar would come to tea. As for meat and beans, just a bit of both I guess.
expected that reaction!

At least go for an Earlsy type spinach salad or sommat.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Nope - if w hae a load of people over - chilli is my go to. Do two slow cookers full (one more spicy than the other and make one with baked beans instead of red ones) that way there's a choice.

Serve with buns, and a salad and beer. Plain salad with different dressings on the table, bacon bits etc.

If you don't wanna do a salad put a plate of raw veg out (broccoli, cauliflower, celery, carrots, peppers) and a few dips.

Put a tub of cottage cheese out too.

Fills you up and is quick and easy
They're not university types, the blokes are ex military and the wives, are wives. Garlic bread, cheese, sour cream, hot jacket potatoes and a salad. Sorted.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:52 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Those are very good suggestions, it'll be the poshest chili dinner party ever. I don't mind them guzzling the beer as I have a couple of large cases of cheap Mexican beer I bought up over Christmas. I think the garlic bread is a good idea and baked potatoes but I'll ditch the rice though.
Thanks, you are welcome.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:53 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Who is it that's coming...don't you like them?
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:57 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
It's not that he doesn't like them (or he would wait until they arrived and then tell them that's he's fasting for the month of January.)

I'm guessing that he just wants an easy to prepare, feed lots of people for not a great deal of money sort of meal. On a kind of, 'that's your lot' basis i.e. I've fed you all, now bugger off.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Jan 7th 2014 at 11:59 pm. Reason: an not and
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by MillieF
I don't dislike them, you just know what cradles are like, they'll eat you out of house and home given half the chance. Anything that's not hamburgers and hot dogs is exotic to them.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:00 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Really?
Salad = Rabbit food

The wives will eat it though

Last edited by Hawk13; Jan 8th 2014 at 12:01 am. Reason: Guy comment
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
It's not that he doesn't like them (or he would wait until they arrived and then tell them that's he's fasting for the month of January.)

I'm guessing that he just wants an easy to prepare, feed lots of people for not a great deal of money sort of meal. On a kind of, 'that's your lot' basis i.e. I've fed you all, now bugger off.
TBH, I just didn't know whether to serve rice or not. Seems that most people say not. That's good enough for me. Thanks for the extra tips.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:03 am
me/moi

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Salad = Rabbit food
Rabbit food is good! It certainly works for the rabbits.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 12:04 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

TBH, I just didn't know whether to serve rice or not. Seems that most people say not. That's good enough for me. Thanks for the extra tips.
Rice is usually served if your chili is spicy as the rice will kick the heat down. And rice is a cheap filler like putting oatmeal in the mince.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.