Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Cheapest place to shop in Saskatoon

Cheapest place to shop in Saskatoon

Old Feb 19th 2008, 11:54 pm
Just Joined

dunlopbarney is on a distinguished road
Default Cheapest place to shop in Saskatoon

Hi My son and his family, wife and two kids are off to Saskatoon next week. My son will start work as a heavy plant mechanic as soon as they arrive However the budget will be tight for a few weeks until they are settled. they are renting furnished initially and hope to buy later. Can anyone suggest a good place to shop for groceries I dont want them to waste money at expensive shops for food. They have permanent resident status does this mean they can claim National Child Benefit for the two kids aged 5 and three when they arrive since my son will be earning immediately. Any advice please.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:41 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cheapest place to shop in Saskatoon

Originally Posted by dunlopbarney
Can anyone suggest a good place to shop for groceries. I dont want them to waste money at expensive shops for food.
I've never been to Saskatoon. Here in Alberta, the province next door, Real Canadian Superstore is the cheapest supermarket chain.

They have permanent resident status does this mean they can claim National Child Benefit for the two kids aged 5 and three when they arrive since my son will be earning immediately.
No.

From the Wiki article on Taxation:
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

If both parents were working, they might be entitled to the Universal Child Care Benefit, but I haven't looked at that carefully, and am not sure what's involved.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Regina. I agree with Judy, Superstore is probably the cheapest place for groceries. I would be applying for the Child Tax Credit right away, even if they don't get much, its best to get on the first step of the ladder.

I think its really wonderful of you to come on the board and try to help your son and his family settle well in Canada. So often on this board we hear of parents and their emotional blackmail in trying to stop their kids emigrating, that it is very refreshing to have someone like you.

They will be fine. If you or they want any more help there are other people from Saskatoon that come on the board from time to time.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 5:41 am
Just Joined

dunlopbarney is on a distinguished road

Sorry Judy it was universal child benefit I was thinking of which I beleive is $100 per month for children under 6 years old.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

We mostly shop at Superstore for normal food stuff; they generally have the lowest prices, but sometimes the quality of products isn't the best either. Not that we've ever really had any serious complaints about it other than a few moldy onions.

There are at least two Superstores in town, and they're almost identical; I've only noticed a couple of things sold in one of them which we didn't find in the other.