Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Chances of a bear eating me?

Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:17 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chances of a bear eating me?

Originally Posted by skiboy10
Yes - in 2005. She was running across a golf course! Scary!
Ummm, no. She was running with two other women on a path through the woods NEAR a golf course. There was a bend in the path. As the three women rounded the corner, they saw the bear on the path. That was not a good way to encounter a bear, to approach in silence and take it by surprise.

Two women followed the classical advice, and slowly backed away from the bear. One woman climbed a tree. The woman who climbed the tree was the one whom the bear killed.

I believe it's unlikely that the bear would have attacked the woman if she'd been running across the golf course. In that case, the bear would have had a good view of her approaching, and would not have been taken by surprise.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:19 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by skiboy10
Yes - in 2005. She was running across a golf course! Scary!

Joanne
And she couldnt outrun all those fat arsed middle age golfers?

Maybe bears have a more discerning taste than I give them credit for....

<imagines bear thinking, "Im not eating anything wearing those pants, no matter how tasty".>

Reminds me that a few years ago The ministry of tourism in Ontario issued a warning to golfers....

Bear Warning Issued

Golfers in the Kawartha lakes area are advised to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears while out on the course due to the danger of bear encroachment from local municipal waste facilties.

We advise people to wear noise-producing devices such as little bells on their clothing to alert but not startle the bear unexpectedly. We also advise carrying pepper spray in case of an encounter with a bear.

It is also a good idea to watch for fresh signs of bear activity and know the difference between black bear and grizzly bear droppings.

Black bear droppings are smaller and contain berries and possibly squirrel fur. Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in them and smell like pepper spray.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 27th 2007 at 4:26 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:22 pm
Woohoo! PR :D

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Those Golfers can get very vicious when they're hungry.
It's to be expected when you play with golf cubs...
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Ummm, no. She was running with two other women on a path through the woods NEAR a golf course. There was a bend in the path. As the three women rounded the corner, they saw the bear on the path. That was not a good way to encounter a bear, to approach in silence and take it by surprise.

Two women followed the classical advice, and slowly backed away from the bear. One woman climbed a tree. The woman who climbed the tree was the one whom the bear killed.

I believe it's unlikely that the bear would have attacked the woman if she'd been running across the golf course. In that case, the bear would have had a good view of her approaching, and would not have been taken by surprise.
Oophs - sorry - got it a bit wrong! We were in Canada not long afterwards - I was accompanying 2 keen golfers - and the report we read said on a golf course - not near. Obviously journalistic licence!

Joanne
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by SkiBunny
Are there any statistics on this particular risk?

I feel that my excitement at reaching day 29 on the fly to Canada countdown is somewhat over shadowed after reading one too many 'helpful' RV-ing articles

Will the bear wait whilst I consult my handy pocket guide and decide what variety it is and whether curling up or bopping it on the nose is the appropriate response?!!
Dont forget to pop up to churchill, manitoba (the polar bear capital of the world) where you can get up close and personal with the cutest bears.....!

Here are two links for you to watch them at play.....arent they the cutest things...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryYn6Oax7N0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zsg0vy
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:30 pm

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink

Black bear droppings are smaller and contain berries and possibly squirrel fur. Grizzly bear droppings have little bells in them and smell like pepper spray.

lol
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I was trying to remember where I'd read that recently .
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by willmore
Dont forget to pop up to churchill, manitoba (the polar bear capital of the world) where you can get up close and personal with the cutest bears.....!

Here are two links for you to watch them at play.....arent they the cutest things...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryYn6Oax7N0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zsg0vy
Old Mar 27th 2007, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Only the first link worked, but they are sooo cute - that's the problem - I'd be there like a dork filming some adorable little baby bear whilst old ma bear comes up and taps me on the shoulder...
Bears generally mate in late march/april, and for the most part they have headed back to the chilly waters of hudson bay. I dont know that they would stay that close to civilization when they have little ones unless they are incredibly hungry, but by that time the ice in hudson bay has started to thaw.

My parents actually still have pics of the bears when we visited churchill. Its well worth a trip to see them if you are ever in the area.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

My uncle who lives in the Kootenays told me a story a couple of years back - not at all amusing, but true and it just goes to show how unpredictable bears can be.

One of the local schools had some kids out on a camp and were hiking in the mountains and forests of the area. As you can imagine, the group got a bit straggly on one of the hikes and one young girl ended up seperated from the rest. In her panic she ended up slipping and falling down a slope and knocking herself unconscious.
She was awoken by a large male grizzly pawing at her backpack. Somewhat scared she decided to make a run for it, the bear gave chase, knocked her down and resumed his exploration of her rucksack...

...from whence he grabbed a bar of soap and set about eating it before buggering off.
Needless to say when the girl was found she was somewhat shaken but otherwise unharmed. (and probably embarrassed to have soiled herself I would imagine.)
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at the "If you go down to the woods" thread! (or maybe not.....)
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

WOW,

Are there that many lesbians in Pitt Meadows that they get their own walkways? I must say its VERY forward thinking and I applaud the council.
Is that fair though? Should there not be a male gay walkway too? Is there one? What would you call it?
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:49 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
Is that fair though? Should there not be a male gay walkway too? Is there one? What would you call it?
Well if it goes to the lake maybe we could call it Queer Quay?
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

This isn't a complete list but is enough to put me off camping at Yellowstone - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...rica_by_decade
Old Mar 27th 2007, 7:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Well if it goes to the lake maybe we could call it Queer Quay?
Or Queens Quay, much more refined

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.