Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Chances of a bear eating me?

Chances of a bear eating me?

Old Mar 27th 2007, 10:51 am
Woohoo! PR :D

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light
Default Chances of a bear eating me?

Are there any statistics on this particular risk?

I feel that my excitement at reaching day 29 on the fly to Canada countdown is somewhat over shadowed after reading one too many 'helpful' RV-ing articles

Will the bear wait whilst I consult my handy pocket guide and decide what variety it is and whether curling up or bopping it on the nose is the appropriate response?!!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chances of a bear eating me?

You can always get one of those 'bear proof suits' that some guy was demonstrating a year or two back. Not exactly the most fashionable thing in the world to wear though .

The 'Grizzly Man' documentary might also give you some pointers so long as you remember that he eventually got eaten...
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SkiBunny

I feel that my excitement at reaching day 29 on the fly to Canada countdown is somewhat over shadowed after reading one too many 'helpful' RV-ing articles

Will the bear wait whilst I consult my handy pocket guide and decide what variety it is and whether curling up or bopping it on the nose is the appropriate response?!!

Stay close to the cities, do not venture out in the wilds for any reason, lock your doors and windows and keep the kids quiet (if you have any)
Bears can smell fear from 100 miles away, nowhere is safe, do yourself a favour, stay where you are, it's not safe outdoors.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SkiBunny

All bears are cuddly, just go over to him/her and give a BIG hug, they like that. Bears also like you going over to their bear cubs, picking them up and throwing them around in a random violent fashion, you have to witness the joy on their faces when they see you doing that. And remember, the bigger the bear the bigger the hug
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
All bears are cuddly, just go over to him/her and give a BIG hug, they like that. Bears also like you going over to their bear cubs, picking them up and throwing them around in a random violent fashion, you have to witness the joy on their faces when they see you doing that. And remember, the bigger the bear the bigger the hug
I'd suggest smearing honey on your hands as well.

There's nothing cuter than a big old papa black bear slurping honey from your fingers.
Remember to get a friend or relative to video the experience!

Have you read Bill Bryson's "A Walk In The Woods"?
A chapter in there of quite the funniest description of potential bear encounters I have ever read.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
I'd suggest smearing honey on your hands as well.

There's nothing cuter than a big old papa black bear slurping honey from your fingers.
Remember to get a friend or relative to video the experience!

A chapter in there of quite the funniest description of potential bear encounters I have ever read.
Ahh, Bill Bryson, great writer, haven't seen that bit but I'll look it up on the interweb.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mr Lee

"I'm in the woods, in the middle of nowhere, in the dark, staring at a bear, with a guy who has nothing to defend himself with but a pair of nail clippers. Let me ask you this. If it is a bear and it comes for you, what are you going to do--give it a pedicure?"
Bill Bryson
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:30 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

We have just bought a house in a 'rural' location and I have been having nightmare ever since. If it's not going to be a bear that gets me, it will be a cougar or a dam earthquake - why am I going??
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:53 pm
Bristolish expat

Location: Bristol ~ Nanaimo, BC ... It's a bit like Salem's Lot!!
bananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond reputebananahammock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gloveman
We have just bought a house in a 'rural' location and I have been having nightmare ever since. If it's not going to be a bear that gets me, it will be a cougar or a dam earthquake - why am I going??
So you can come to the pub with the rest of us!!
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

My friends in Florida said that if you went into alligator country you should take someone with you who ran slower than you did... would the same plan work for bears?
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
My friends in Florida said that if you went into alligator country you should take someone with you who ran slower than you did... would the same plan work for bears?
Brilliant idea, is that why they always tell you to walk in pairs?
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

is that why they always tell you to walk in pairs?
Probably .
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:22 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

This photo was taken from an upstairs window of a house in Fort McMurray
Attached Thumbnails Chances of a bear eating me?-bears.jpg  
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

This photo was taken from an upstairs window of a house in Fort McMurray
Is that the Canadian version of a bird bath? A bear playground?
Old Mar 27th 2007, 2:35 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I can only remember a couple of fatal maulings reported in my 9 years in Canada. Dog attacks are probably more common. I'd be more worried about the drivers than the bears, and wild bears in a remote location are probably a lot safer to be around then habituated bears that are used to being around people and are not easily scared off.

A quick google found a medical report that referred to 8 fatal maulings in Alberta between 1973 and 1988.

Its all a bit academic, even if a bear does get you, it probably wont actually get around to eating you anyway.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 27th 2007 at 2:38 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.