Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

CBSA - Former Lancastrian

CBSA - Former Lancastrian

Old Oct 16th 2013, 5:19 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CBSA - Former Lancastrian

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
I laughed! C
A career awaits you in accounting.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 5:45 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
The older ones seem to be pleasant enough. Its the younger ones who seem to have something to prove, often at your expense.
Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Nail on the head thank you for that.
you was never like that when you were starting out at CBSA?

Is it advisable to always go to a senior looking passport agent, because I try as best I can at any airport to head for the younger mean faced females which have always been so nice too me - the ones at the UK & the US included in that
Old Oct 16th 2013, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
you was never like that when you were starting out at CBSA?

Is it advisable to always go to a senior looking passport agent, because I try as best I can at any airport to head for the younger mean faced females which have always been so nice too me - the ones at the UK & the US included in that
Before I started this job I had my life experiences as a Military Policeman and a normal copper with the Lancashire Constabulary. You learn very quickly that even though you have stripes on or a uniform you never ever overstep your boundaries with a group of pissed up Paratroopers or members of any Scottish, Irish or Welsh regiment or go wading into a group of pissed up Millwall, Man Utd or Liverpool supporters
Old Oct 16th 2013, 6:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Are personal experiences to do with what country one is entering from or particular airports?

Prior to my permanent arrival I came through Montreal 6 times and didn't experience anything untoward, nor witness anything.

I was aware of a few Canadians muttering at having to queue up with everyone. That didn't seem unreasonable having passed through immigration quickly at EU airports on an EU passport while seeing delays at non EU desks.

I can imagine it would be irritating having many people making such comments one after the other. Just like a deli counter or other service calling numbers and every now and then someone shouts "Bingo" thinking they are being funny and original.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 6:54 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Are personal experiences to do with what country one is entering from or particular airports?

Prior to my permanent arrival I came through Montreal 6 times and didn't experience anything untoward, nor witness anything.

I was aware of a few Canadians muttering at having to queue up with everyone. That didn't seem unreasonable having passed through immigration quickly at EU airports on an EU passport while seeing delays at non EU desks.

I can imagine it would be irritating having many people making such comments one after the other. Just like a deli counter or other service calling numbers and every now and then someone shouts "Bingo" thinking they are being funny and original.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

I tend to think most travellers like yourself rarely have any negative dealings with CBSA on re-entering the country.
The EU is completely different to clearing Customs here. Most just wave their passports and thats it
Have you read any of the stories involving the UKBA lately. Strange how the comments from residents of the UK are critical of the open border policy when any member of the EU can just decide **** it Ive had enough of Spain Im moving to the UK as they have a better benefit system. The UK are shitting themselves come 1 January 2014 when the Romanians and Bulgarians can move to the UK with estimates ranging that 350,000 will make the move.
UK residents are complaining that there are too many taking advantage of the system and want out of the EU.
So yes unless you have a Canadian passport or a valid PR card then expect to be examined more intently as we don't have an open border policy like the EU.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And for those who continue to complain about having to fill out that silly declaration card when you fly back to Canada you will be pleased to know that we are not the only country that does this

From the UKBA website
Forms (landing cards)
You will have to complete a landing card, unless:
you hold a passport issued in the EU or EEA; or
your final destination is not the UK, the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or the Republic of Ireland (known as the common travel area) and you do not need to go through immigration controls to continue your journey.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/cu...noteeaorswiss/

How about Australia
http://www.customs.gov.au/site/passengerCards.asp

How about the USA
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/va...ation_form.xml

Anybody else care to mention if they have filled out such forms and which countries required them?

Cuba and Mexico require you to fill out a tourist entry card.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 5:19 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting story ...http://www.huffingtonpost.com/niels-...b_4098130.html
Old Oct 17th 2013, 6:46 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So yes unless you have a Canadian passport or a valid PR card then expect to be examined more intently as we don't have an open border policy like the EU.
The "open border" as you term it is for countries within the EU. Visitors from outside the EU are subject to strict border control.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

Hertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of lightHertha is a glorious beacon of light

Once you have a Schengen visa, issued by any of the Schengen countries, and have entered the Schengen area, you have free movement within the area. For instance, a Bangladeshi entering the Schengen area at Paris would then be able to travel to other Schengen areas without having to contact the immigration authorities of those States.