Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Carbon Tax - can someone please explain it to me?

Carbon Tax - can someone please explain it to me?

Old Oct 25th 2018, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carbon Tax - can someone please explain it to me?

Originally Posted by dbd33
I don't think this example works around here. One must decide to drive to work or to take transit for a month, not a day, because driving requires investments (parking pass, insurance for commuting, perhaps a fuel efficient car) that provide a sensible return only when used consistently. Similarly, taking transit at the single trip fare is economically infeasible.

This thread is the first I've seen of this program. Will I get a larger tax rebate if I bring the V12 car to work every day?
I have no option but to drive to the most southern train station in Calgary, then I take the train to work. I accept that I chose to live rurally but I have no knowledge of the carbon tax in Alberta being used to fund rural public transit.

Mr. Trudeau took away the ability for one to claim their public transit costs on their tax returns to reduce their taxable income, so it appears that he wasn't that concerned about persuading people to use public transit.

I can only buy my electricity and the gas that I need to heat my home and operate electrical things from a single provider. Again, that my be as a result of a choice I made to live outside of a City. However, I am not aware of any suppliers in Alberta that use a form of energy that the others don't use. So, Albertans at least, have no choice to use a less carbon producing method to run their homes.

Now I am fortunate as I have been able to afford to install "zero carbon emissions" methods of electricity generation at our place. I did this prior to the carbon tax being imposed upon Albertans and, due to my income, I have no chance of qualifying for any form of rebate, at least until I retire. However, the rebate that I may receive at that time, while welcome, will not incentivise me to use less carbon than I am now.

If any form of government really wants to reduce carbon emissions, I believe that there are far more immediate, any far more betterer, ways to do so. Ban drive thrus, stop all downtown office buildings having their lights on 24/7, get pipelines built so that the things that travel through the pipes do not need to travel by train/road, do the things I proposed above. Of course, this won't happen.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Imagine the administration costs involved in everyone having to identify their individual carbon tax - be it the extra costs of gas, groceries, heating etc - and then having their rebates assessed accordingly so everyone gets a different amount.

Instead, an average is calculated.
I appreciate that, which is why the system doesn't even attempt to achieve its objective: One receives the money even if one is continuing their use of carbon.

I appreciate that something needs to be done. I simply don't believe the proposed method, or the ones that are currently operating, will make any difference at all.

In Alberta, they were using the system to give lightbulbs to people. One can also obtain grants for installing thing such as solar panels. However, in the case of solar panels, one had to use the government approved manufacturer and installers, who charged more than rebate one would receive from doing so that one could find other manufacturers/installers to install the exact same product. Of course, the government administrators had to be paid to administer the scheme as well - more money lost.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 2:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
...Ban drive thrus...
I can imagine the response that would get if it affected Tim Hortons.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 3:07 pm
Formerly known as Hangman

Tinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond reputeTinpusher63 has a reputation beyond repute

Most people are missing the point of a carbon tax if they believe it is aimed at them. Yes they can do their part by using LED light bulbs, purchasing a high efficiency furnace if the they don't already have one. Improving the insulation in their homes, buying a more efficient vehicle when it's time to replace the current one etc. etc. That's why they get rebates to help fund these items even if it is in a minor way.

The main targets of the carbon tax are the big emitters, major industries. By taxing them it gives them an incentive to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions on a much larger scale than the average Canadian.

My two cents worth, possibly totally out to lunch but I don't think so.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 3:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I can imagine the response that would get if it affected Tim Hortons.
Great potential benefits all around. Fewer cups strewn across the countryside, A small step against obesity. Fewer vehicles swerving across the road because the fat **** at the wheel can't steer and shove stodge at the same time. This is a wonderful idea.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tinpusher63
Most people are missing the point of a carbon tax if they believe it is aimed at them. Yes they can do their part by using LED light bulbs, purchasing a high efficiency furnace if the they don't already have one. Improving the insulation in their homes, buying a more efficient vehicle when it's time to replace the current one etc. etc. That's why they get rebates to help fund these items even if it is in a minor way.

The main targets of the carbon tax are the big emitters, major industries. By taxing them it gives them an incentive to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions on a much larger scale than the average Canadian.

My two cents worth, possibly totally out to lunch but I don't think so.
Unless they increase their fees and pass them onto the consumer

Again, regulation is the only way to punish them and the issue with that is: What if they decide to stop producing? Look at the balancing pool fiasco that resulted from the implementation of the carbon tax here. What if the manufacturers decided to relocate to another jurisdiction?

I appreciate that something has to be done, I am just not sure that this is it.
Old Oct 25th 2018, 5:10 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

There are rebates for various energy saving home projects. Fewer than there were as Ford has cancelled some.
Old Oct 27th 2018, 1:06 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Everything will be hit, food will cost more as transportation cost will rise. Truck drivers can’t use the bus !!

people die every year because they can not afford to heat their homes, maybe more dead people will help with the climate change

How do taxi drivers, couriers, delivery drivers, surveillance operatives, etc use less? To them it’s just a tax.

meanwhile big factories still polute on a massive scale while China and the US fill the air with shite

the elections are looming, this will be a factor and my guess is the Liberal stupidity will end soon.
Old Oct 27th 2018, 1:41 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Everything will be hit, food will cost more as transportation cost will rise. Truck drivers can’t use the bus !!

people die every year because they can not afford to heat their homes, maybe more dead people will help with the climate change

How do taxi drivers, couriers, delivery drivers, surveillance operatives, etc use less? To them it’s just a tax.

meanwhile big factories still polute on a massive scale while China and the US fill the air with shite

the elections are looming, this will be a factor and my guess is the Liberal stupidity will end soon.
Well either you're okay with someone filling the air with shite or you do something about it. Somebody doing "something" (however unpalatable) might encourage someone else to do something. Like that deal that Trump decided to withdraw from.

Maybe it's time to change the way deliveries are done. Perhaps organised from a central point instead of a whole bunch of people driving everywhere desperately trying to get their 'load' and having 10 journeys where two might suffice. Or is that too much like nationalisation?