Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Car parts and their descriptions

Car parts and their descriptions

Old Apr 14th 2009, 9:49 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car parts and their descriptions

I think I have noticed a major difference in men and women.

As some of you know I now work in a parts department for a weLl known (teetering on the brink of going under) North American car manufacturer.

I know not a great deal about parts but have learned loads since being here - and take many calls from mostly guys in the trade asking for various bits and bobs.

Now - the call I have just taken was from a chappy asking for a heater hose connector that goes into the heater core. He said his nipple had broken off So after a bit of searching and him trying to describe it in the best guy way that he knows how to, I find his part on the exploded diagram, go get it and say to him "does it look like a plastic wedding cake with a long bit on top"?

He says "thats the one" so all is good.

So question for you all - when you go to a parts / hardware type place, do all you guys ask for the part by using big long complicated terms that no-one understands, and do all the women ask for it exactly how it looks ie "that big black plastic thingy that attaches to the blue thingy thats a bit green"

Last edited by mandymoochops; Apr 14th 2009 at 9:54 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 9:52 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car parts and their descriptions

If I need a replacement part, I take the original with me, or find a part number off the internerd.

If I need something new I'll take a pic of its intended application/location with my phone to help put what I need in context.

Of course most of the time blokes will know exactly what to ask for anyway

Last edited by R I C H; Apr 14th 2009 at 9:59 pm.
Old Apr 14th 2009, 9:59 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
If I need a replacement part, I take the original with me.

If I need something new I'll take a pic of its intended application/location with my phone to help put what I need in context.

Of course most of the time blokes will know exactly what to ask for anyway
Which is the sensible thing to do - hahaha I spend many a minute looking after people who plonk greasy broken things in front of me followed by the phrase "One of those please".

Thats where the fun begins
Old Apr 14th 2009, 10:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
He said his nipple had broken off

Still cold in Alberda is it?
Old Apr 14th 2009, 10:06 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Still cold in Alberda is it?
apparently so!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

PaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud ofPaulandNikki has much to be proud of

I always know the right name for the part, usually a part number too which makes life easier. My wife did once phone a local garage and when the guy answered the phone she said "can I have your parts please?". I laughed.
Old Apr 15th 2009, 2:41 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

I used to have to get authorisation codes from leasing companies so the techs could carry out work, one time I had to ask for a weather strip and as usual the computer told me to phone in for a referral....The guy on the telephone asked me what exactly was a weather strip? I reply, it's the black fluffy plastic thing that goes around the windows to stop the rain when you put them up and down!

He knew what I meant and authorisation was granted - so sometimes the guys don't know what they're talking about either
Old Apr 15th 2009, 3:01 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I spend many a minute looking after people who plonk greasy broken things in front of me followed by the phrase "One of those please".

Thats where the fun begins
I'm confused. I thought you worked in auto parts, not the local STD clinic?
Old Apr 15th 2009, 1:11 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I used to have to get authorisation codes from leasing companies so the techs could carry out work, one time I had to ask for a weather strip and as usual the computer told me to phone in for a referral....The guy on the telephone asked me what exactly was a weather strip? I reply, it's the black fluffy plastic thing that goes around the windows to stop the rain when you put them up and down!

He knew what I meant and authorisation was granted - so sometimes the guys don't know what they're talking about either
You see thats exactly my point - your description makes so muck more sense