British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Can't abide Canadian word? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/cant-abide-canadian-word-839422/)

The4BellsLondon Jul 28th 2014 3:24 pm

Re: Can't abide Canadian word?

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11348837)
In Canada "don't get your knickers in a twist" is a common expression, (rare use of the word knickers). "Don't get your panties in a knot"(and less often in a twist) is the Canadian equivalent and I guess gets nearly equal use.
My dear old Aunt lived in Kits between Trutch and Blenhiem, lots of room for mis-pronunciation there as well.

Trutch always makes me snigger ;)

Princesstigger Jul 28th 2014 3:34 pm

How about 'bunny hug' for a hooded jumper.... Apparently this is a very saskatchewan specific word. Or 'tooke' for a wooly hat! :confused:

dbd33 Jul 28th 2014 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Princesstigger (Post 11350313)
How about 'bunny hug' for a hooded jumper.... Apparently this is a very saskatchewan specific word. Or 'tooke' for a wooly hat! :confused:

toque, innit?

Alan2005 Jul 28th 2014 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 11348816)
On second thought, if the way Brits pronounce Beauchamps, or the Vale of Belvoir, is "right" why the hell shouldn't Dum Fries be right.

You ionic isn't it.

caretaker Jul 28th 2014 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11350316)
toque, innit?

Or touque, that's across Canada though.. One Saskatchewan - specific term is vico for chocolate milk. The Co-op Dairy made Vico and that just became the word for it,

Paul_Shepherd Jul 28th 2014 4:09 pm

Her-ford instead of "Herry-ford" and my friend has the audacity tell me i am saying it wrong! Herford! WTF? :thumbdown:

cxx Jul 28th 2014 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 11348116)
It is what it is! (Gaaaaaaaah)

This one drives me mad, but then it definitely describes the attitude of the Canadians I meet - they just accept everything and refuse to think about change grrrrrrrr.

Siouxie Jul 28th 2014 6:38 pm

s n o w

Princesstigger Jul 28th 2014 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11350461)
s n o w

Lol!

MillieF Jul 28th 2014 6:49 pm

s n o w

Oh, yes, Siouxie - with knobs on:thumbsup:

Gozit Jul 28th 2014 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by cxx (Post 11350444)
This one drives me mad, but then it definitely describes the attitude of the Canadians I meet - they just accept everything and refuse to think about change grrrrrrrr.

Totally agree here. I'm one of the ones that likes to change things when they aren't going well for me (biggest example being wanting to move away) and every single person just gives me the "well it is what it is" attitude and I hate it. The one person in my life here that doesn't give me that bollox is actually a Brit so it just proves the point all the more.

s n o w

:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost:
Gah hate that one;)

Shard Jul 29th 2014 1:28 am

Everywhere probably has an "it is what it is" attitude or way of thought. It just may not be expressed so succinctly.

withabix Jul 29th 2014 1:51 am

s n o w

For sure.

Oops there's another one!

I think Canadians only have one meaning for 'For sure', however to me and some of my fellow Brits at work it means either of:

a) I agree with you completely
b) You're talking horsesh*t

Oakvillian Jul 29th 2014 12:34 pm

Don't know how I've managed to miss this thread. Lots on here resonate.

"Buddy" is a particular bugbear. Especially shouted by parents to their children across a soccer field, and even more so when accompanied by "good job."

A goal is scored: "Good job, buddy!"
A tackle made: "Good job, buddy!"
A pass is completed, or intercepted: "Good job, buddy!"
A complete howling nonsense is made of everything, and the child, in floods of tears, limps off the field in disgrace: "Good job, buddy!"

Aarrggh!

Partially discharged Jul 29th 2014 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 11351199)
Don't know how I've managed to miss this thread. Lots on here resonate.

"Buddy" is a particular bugbear. Especially shouted by parents to their children across a soccer field, and even more so when accompanied by "good job."

A goal is scored: "Good job, buddy!"
A tackle made: "Good job, buddy!"
A pass is completed, or intercepted: "Good job, buddy!"
A complete howling nonsense is made of everything, and the child, in floods of tears, limps off the field in disgrace: "Good job, buddy!"

Aarrggh!

Totally agree.....last year my son had a coach who was one of those mega positive enforcement people who was constantly saying how everything was 'awesome'..eg 2 passes strung together (by 12/13 year olds) 'awesome play guys'.

I was the manager of my old timers team and didn't have the time to devote to my sons team.....this year he has switched away from house league and is with the competitive stream and the 'awesomeness' has diminished.

The funny thing about the team is that out of 18 players + 36 +/- parents, I think there are only about 8 non-Canadian born players/parents...for soccer that is quite low in Canada.

My old timers team of 18 or so, has only 5 Canadian born.

AlliF Jul 29th 2014 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 11347260)
Isn't zed English, and zee American?

+1
I actually got corrected by a 5 year old Canadian for saying Zebra instead of Zeeebra when I first got here (and now my 3 year old daughter is doing it too lol)
A lot of confusion over pants and panties when you are trying to potty train a toddler @ daycare too.
Hate the phrase 'full of spunk' or 'he/she is spunky' :sick:

helcat12 Jul 29th 2014 8:28 pm

I cannot *stand* that in school, many Primary teachers say this "rhyme" to get kids to sit properly:
"Criss Cross, Apple Sauce!"

They pronounce the Sauce as "Soss", and say it as all one word, "applesoss".:banghead:
It is making me hate it even more just writing it down!

No wonder their kids cannot spell!

helcat12 Jul 29th 2014 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by scotdownunder (Post 11351702)
+1
Hate the phrase 'full of spunk' or 'he/she is spunky' :sick:

They have copied that from Australians, surely?
I first heard that from an Australian girl about 35 years ago. Maybe it went out of fashion as,a phrase in Australia and was adopted here.
They are behind the times here.:huh:

rwin Jul 29th 2014 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 11347859)
:eek: I think that one sounds a bit funny. Like a baby is talking.

Originally Posted by orly (Post 11347971)
Except that's basically the correct way to say it.

So why did they spell it wrong then? (Kwusant that is)

scrubbedexpat091 Jul 29th 2014 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by helcat12 (Post 11351755)
I cannot *stand* that in school, many Primary teachers say this "rhyme" to get kids to sit properly:

They pronounce the Sauce as "Soss", and say it as all one word, "applesoss".:banghead:

I am going to ask since I was born and raised in North America, but how does one pronounce sauce other then soss? Its the only way I have ever heard anyone say it, and the dictionary pronounces it that way as well. (north american dictionary)

I am curious, I can usually figure out the differences in how words are pronounced, but this one has me confused. :confused:

Siouxie Jul 29th 2014 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11351896)
I am going to ask since I was born and raised in North America, but how does one pronounce sauce other then soss? Its the only way I have ever heard anyone say it, and the dictionary pronounces it that way as well. (north american dictionary)

I am curious, I can usually figure out the differences in how words are pronounced, but this one has me confused. :confused:

sawse or like 'source' without the 'r' - sauce - definition of sauce by Macmillan Dictionary

(It pronounces it in the English way - just click the button)

:)

helcat12 Jul 29th 2014 11:55 pm

'Au' makes the same sound as 'or'.
Think how you say the word 'audio' for instance, or 'audible', or 'cautious'.

Sauce rhymes with course, not cross.

A North American dictionary is not worth the paper if is written on.

helcat12 Jul 29th 2014 11:59 pm

Thanks, Siouxie!

Yes, basically 'au', 'aw', and 'or' make the same sound.
Phonics teaching is a great help for spelling.
Thank goodness there is one dictionary over here that gets it right.

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11351905)
sawse or like 'source' without the 'r' - sauce - definition of sauce by Macmillan Dictionary

(It pronounces it in the English way - just click the button)

caretaker Jul 30th 2014 12:17 am

Originally Posted by helcat12 (Post 11351755)

An apple sat on the railway track,
Feeling blue and cross
Around the bend came Number 10
Toot! Toot! - apple-sauce.

helcat12 Jul 30th 2014 12:36 am

Nauseatingly bad.

I might suggest that, if you think that rhymes, sitting on a railway track is the kindest thing for you.:devil_smile:

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11351983)
Feeling blue and cross

bats Jul 30th 2014 12:55 am

Sauce, source, and sorce(ery) sound the same. Canadians pronounce sauce as sahce.

Gozit Jul 30th 2014 1:07 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11351983)
Feeling blue and cross

Assuming this is a Canadian poem i'm surprised it uses the word "cross" ... Canadians in my experience don't usually use that.

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11352007)
Sauce, source, and sorce(ery) sound the same.

When you say this I assume you mean they sound the same as pronounced by Brits, correct?

bats Jul 30th 2014 1:13 am

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 11352009)
Assuming this is a Canadian poem i'm surprised it uses the word "cross" ... Canadians in my experience don't usually use that.

When you say this I assume you mean they sound the same as pronounced by Brits, correct?

Exactly so my friend. Specifically southern Engkish, the others might pronounce the r in source.

bats Jul 30th 2014 1:14 am

And talking of words, I learned today that hospital gowns are sometimes called Johnnies. If you are a patient and you are asked to put on a Johnnie, think twice before you act.

Gozit Jul 30th 2014 1:17 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11352011)
Exactly so my friend. Specifically southern Engkish, the others might pronounce the r in source.

Gozit Jul 30th 2014 1:18 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11352012)
And talking of words, I learned today that hospital gowns are sometimes called Johnnies. If you are a patient and you are asked to put on a Johnnie, think twice before you act.

:eek:Never heard of that

haggis88 Jul 30th 2014 6:20 am

"That's my bad" instead of "Sorry, my mistake"

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU

Would even prefer "I ****ed up" even in (what Alberta would consider) polite company!

BristolUK Jul 30th 2014 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by haggis88 (Post 11352201)
"That's my bad"

I thought that was a universal/internet thing rather than Canadian.

But googling shows it was around in the 70s and later popularised by the underrated movie Clueless.

There's even a reference to Shakespeare having used it. :ohmy:

We live and learn.

Simon Legree Jul 30th 2014 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11352012)

Actually, they are call "Johnnie shirts". No idea why. ;)

Alan2005 Jul 30th 2014 2:58 pm

On the news yseterday: turn-a-key for tourniquet

Gozit Jul 30th 2014 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 11352650)
On the news yseterday: turn-a-key for tourniquet

:scarper:

dbd33 Jul 30th 2014 3:10 pm

I heard two cradles conversing. Reminding me that

Going forward
Per se
In some sense

are commonly used here to convey nothing at all. They are the local equivalent of "um", "like", "er" and "y'know?".

plasticcanuck Jul 30th 2014 4:05 pm

On another thread a Brit asked a question of another Brit and called him "dude".

bats Jul 30th 2014 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 11352733)
On another thread a Brit asked a question of another Brit and called him "dude".

Wow. Awesome.

helcat12 Jul 30th 2014 5:45 pm

[QUOTE=bats;11352007. Canadians pronounce sauce as sahce.[/QUOTE]

If this was so, they wouldn't think it rhymed with 'cross'.

I have been in lots of schools on the Lower Mainland and I gave encountered this 'rhyme' many times, so it is obviously a fairly common thing in Primary classrooms.