Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canadians can't do proper picnics

Wikiposts

Canadians can't do proper picnics

Old Jun 10th 2010, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadians can't do proper picnics

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
What do you expect when you don't tell the full story.
I guess 'Bah humbug'...and I doubt he's disappointed....
Old Jun 10th 2010, 5:45 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

We've been invited to a Braai tomorrow ... I think it's something similar with a South African name ....... something about a football game too .....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq2SOmwzjUU
Old Jun 10th 2010, 5:47 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
We've been invited to a Braai tomorrow ... I think it's something similar with a South African name ....... something about a football game too .....

I'd eat before you go.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 6:44 am

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Will you come to a party, will you come?
Bring your own bread and butter and a bun
Cos me father's on the dole
And me mother's picking coal
Will you come to a party, will you come?
Ahhh havent heard that for years
Old Jun 10th 2010, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Er, if you were staying with the family then why didn't you eat with them?? How did that work then? Seems a tad rude not to.
Well, I was renting a room in their basement suite, though the grandfather was down their in another room and him being bothered by it seemed to make the entire family bothered which I can understand. But my point is it was an entirely separate kitchen.

They did suggest before I came that I could eat with them but sadly they ate a lot of meat and I'm a vegetarian so it was easier for both parties just to have separate meals.

Originally Posted by Souvy
Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
imagine a hi-speed rail link between toronto and vancouver!
What would be the point? Even Eurostar, running at top speed the whole way and in a straight line, would take about 15 hours to cover that distance. Creating that straight line, particularly through The Rockies, would cost an absolute fortune. There are simply not enough people wanting to make that trip, or prepared to spend that much time doing it.
Thats a fair point, but it would use a lot less energy than flying, and something like maglev could theoretically reach incredibly high speeds that would be competitive with aircraft, and still use much less energy.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Jun 10th 2010 at 7:28 am.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 7:30 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

What would be the point? Even Eurostar, running at top speed the whole way and in a straight line, would take about 15 hours to cover that distance. Creating that straight line, particularly through The Rockies, would cost an absolute fortune. There are simply not enough people wanting to make that trip, or prepared to spend that much time doing it.
But it wouldn't be too bad if they put in a high speed railway from Vancouver, to Seattle, Portland, SF and LA.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 7:37 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

it would use a lot less energy than flying, and something like maglev could theoretically reach incredibly high speeds that would be competitive with aircraft, and still use much less energy.
Per passenger mile it would not be a lot different, so long as it ran full. Reduce the number of traveling pax and the consumption could even be higher for a train.

This of course does not take into account the environmental mayhem and destruction it would cause during construction of a rail link and the astronomical cost of building it and acquiring the land to do so.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Per passenger mile it would not be a lot different, so long as it ran full. Reduce the number of traveling pax and the consumption could even be higher for a train.
Well if we take the Transrapid maglev, that uses about 50-100kW per track section[1] and each section is 12-60metres[2]. The distance of vancouver to toronto is 3354.71km, so even in the worst case of 100kW per 12meters of track, that is just 27.95591 Mega Watts for the whole trip.

I'm not sure specifically how much aircraft use but seeing as the average power output of a jet engine is apparently somewhere in the realms of 100MW I'm finding it hard to believe they are comparable, but I'm not an expert.

This of course does not take into account the environmental mayhem and destruction it would cause during construction of a rail link and the astronomical cost of building it and acquiring the land to do so.
Well thats true, but the alternative is still environmental destruction in the form of air pollution instead. The visible environmental destruction would be pretty bad though so I can't really argue against that.

Anyway the point I was originally trying to get at wasn't the practicality of a link but more an example of some showmanship and accomplishment that Canada could benefit from, like that massive bridge in France or the many things like that Japan has done.

Anyway, sorry oink for hijacking your thread about picnics :P

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Jun 10th 2010 at 8:23 am.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 8:22 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
But it wouldn't be too bad if they put in a high speed railway from Vancouver, to Seattle, Portland, SF and LA.
There is a pipe dream of a high speed link between Eugene and Vancouver but not a hint of funding to make it happen. To get south from Eugene the line would have to go through a mountain range or along the coast. The grade through the mountains or the twistiness (word?) of the coast would reduce the train to normal speeds and I think the cost of either option is going to be prohibitive.

That said, the Tokyo to Nigata Shinkansen is built through a mountain range - but there was a different approach to public finance in Japan then to the USA now.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

KarenJoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
There is a pipe dream of a high speed link between Eugene and Vancouver but not a hint of funding to make it happen. To get south from Eugene the line would have to go through a mountain range or along the coast. The grade through the mountains or the twistiness (word?) of the coast would reduce the train to normal speeds and I think the cost of either option is going to be prohibitive.

That said, the Tokyo to Nigata Shinkansen is built through a mountain range - but there was a different approach to public finance in Japan then to the USA now.
I read in the Province today that the mayors of Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland are thinking of doing just that ... or something like it. Wouldn't that be great? A fast train to Portland?
Old Jun 10th 2010, 1:36 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose

I went to a couple of Braais in South Africa.

I was offered a crocodile sandwich.

OK, but make it snappy.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 4:38 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I went to a couple of Braais in South Africa.

I was offered a crocodile sandwich.

OK, but make it snappy.
Boom boom . .. .
Old Jun 11th 2010, 12:44 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a fair point, but it would use a lot less energy than flying, and something like maglev could theoretically reach incredibly high speeds that would be competitive with aircraft, and still use much less energy.
A Toronto-Vancouver Maglev? That would probably be the most expensive construction project in world history. Not to mention the fact the the mining industry probably is not capable of supplying the vast quantities of metals that would be needed to make the high-temperature superconducting magnets.

Folk have been playing with Maglev for a long time. The systems built so far have been short-distance and bleedin' pricey.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 1:03 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

A Toronto-Vancouver Maglev?
Bit silly, innit? Hardly anyone travels between Toronto and Vancouver. If there were to be a cross-country fast train it should go from New York to Los Angeles with connections to Albany, Toronto, Vancouver, Boston and similar places.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 1:40 am
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Bit silly, innit? Hardly anyone travels between Toronto and Vancouver. If there were to be a cross-country fast train it should go from New York to Los Angeles with connections to Albany, Toronto, Vancouver, Boston and similar places.
I just did a back-of the-fag-packet calculation. A proposed Washington-Baltimore Maglev was costed out at some $111 million per mile. There are lots of miles in North America.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.