Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Canadians can't do proper picnics

Wikiposts

Canadians can't do proper picnics

Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:08 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canadians can't do proper picnics

Well, it's of the beginning of picnic season. I like a good quality picnic but Canadians are the most unimagined bunch when it comes to eating outside. It's always, hot dogs and hamburgers on some petrol infused hibachi in the back garden. They don't seem to be able to comprehend a more sophisticated barbecue let alone having sandwiches and deviled eggs. I brought up the subject of pork pies to other day, and the response I got was, "how do you heat them up?" I got the same response when I suggested those little sausages on sticks. Would it hurt them to have a nice selection of cheeses, some salmon pate or heaven forbid a quiche? Have they heard of seasonal fruit with a little pouring cream? Apparently, this too much effort for them.

So, without wanting to take the analogy too far, I think their lack of creative picnic venues and picnic food are symptomatic of a general lack of imagination in all aspects of Canadian life. It’s a nice place to live, but there's no romance, no style, no derring-do in the way they go about things. It's pragmatism rather than idealism that is the over-arching cultural philosophy. It's a bit bloody boring though.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:16 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadians can't do proper picnics

Originally Posted by Oink
Well, it's of the beginning of picnic season. I like a good quality picnic but Canadians are the most unimagined bunch when it comes to eating outside. It's always, hot dogs and hamburgers on some petrol infused hibachi in the back garden. They don't seem to be able to comprehend a more sophisticated barbecue let alone having sandwiches and deviled eggs. I brought up the subject of pork pies to other day, and the response I got was, "how do you heat them up?" I got the same response when I suggested those little sausages on sticks. Would it hurt them to have a nice selection of cheeses, some salmon pate or heaven forbid a quiche? Have they heard of seasonal fruit with a little pouring cream? Apparently, this too much effort for them.

So, without wanting to take the analogy too far, I think their lack of creative picnic venues and picnic food are symptomatic of a general lack of imagination in all aspects of Canadian life. It’s a nice place to live, but there's no romance, no style, no derring-do in the way they go about things. It's pragmatism rather than idealism that is the over-arching cultural philosophy. It's a bit bloody boring though.
How timely. We are joining several other posters on Saturday at a Proper English Picnic after the match.

I believe so far the menu involves exotic marine thingys, dead cow meat, a seafood salady thing and an intemperate amount of wine.

I'd forgotten the cheese.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:22 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

They do do Pot Luck Suppers, that seems to work well. Novo's picnic after the footy may consist of some pot luckness, maybe?
Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:22 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
How timely. We are joining several other posters on Saturday at a Proper English Picnic after the match.

I believe so far the menu involves exotic marine thingys, dead cow meat, a seafood salady thing and an intemperate amount of wine.

I'd forgotten the cheese.
And some nice crusty bread, if you can find any.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:29 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

And some nice crusty bread, if you can find any.
I can't be expected to think of everything.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:38 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Canadian picnics can never work as you can't go and sit in any old field and drink cheap fizzy wine while wondering if that cow in the distance is really a bull.

They do do devilled eggs though - bigtime - and your kitchen would not be complete without a special plate with little egg shaped hollows for your devilled eggs.

Dips, what's the big deal with dips??
Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:40 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
They do do Pot Luck Suppers, that seems to work well. Novo's picnic after the footy may consist of some pot luckness, maybe?
I hate pot lucks. Get invited for dinner and bring your own food? You end up with 5 salads and some crappy biscuits for dessert. Its up there with having to take your shoes off when you go into someone's house.
Oh and wine. You bring a decent bottle of wine and they put it away and give you the crap from a box they are drinking. At least in England you know you are certain to work your way through every bottle in the house so you will get to yours sometime!

Last edited by lmartin999; Jun 9th 2010 at 10:42 am.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I hate pot lucks. Get invited for dinner and bring your own food? You end up with 5 salads and some crappy biscuits for dessert. Its up there with having to take your shoes off when you go into someone's house.
Me too. I had enough of those in graduate school to last a lifetime, which as we were all poor I could see it. But now? If you're going to invite me to dinner, provide dinner ffs. What's next, you're expected to bring your own chairs? You might as well stay at home.

And then there's the people who bring some crap beer but drink all the good stuff.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:04 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Maybe the subject for another video?
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:13 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Me too. I had enough of those in graduate school to last a lifetime, which as we were all poor I could see it.
If I may, the idea of being poor in graduate school is a ridiculous affectation and rather insulting to the actual poor.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:18 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

A picnic should be blissfully simple... you should be able to carry it comfortably. A few cheese rolls bundled into an old bread bag, maybe a few hard boiled eggs, and a pork pie and a packet of cheese and onion if you're lucky. A flask of tea, or even a bottle of wine, you naughty old devil you.

If you're cooking on grills, it ain't a picnic.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
If I may, the idea of being poor in graduate school is a ridiculous affectation and rather insulting to the actual poor.
No its not, poverty is relative concept and its was used in a qualified way.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:38 am
Born again atheist

No its not, poverty is relative concept and its was used in a qualified way.
Quite right! I lived in a coal shed when I started my D. Phil. Oh arrr.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:40 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Me too. I had enough of those in graduate school to last a lifetime, which as we were all poor I could see it. But now? If you're going to invite me to dinner, provide dinner ffs. What's next, you're expected to bring your own chairs? You might as well stay at home.

And then there's the people who bring some crap beer but drink all the good stuff.
hah, yes, done that, been asked to bring a lawn chair.................
Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:52 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by fledermaus
hah, yes, done that, been asked to bring a lawn chair.................
Cheese, crusty bread and now lawn chairs? Where will it all end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.