British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Canadian Values (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/canadian-values-883422/)

Novocastrian Sep 17th 2016 9:55 pm

Re: Canadian Values

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12055054)
Nice tune! :thumbup: I'll take my laptop to the club with me the next while and when she comes in I''ll play that for my Novocastrian friend in the wheelie-chair, she'll probably love hearing Geordie again. We've done the virtual tour of her landmarks with her driving the little gold street-view man but a lot has changed since she left.

Well it will have done. Tell you what, ask your friend what bits she'd like to see again in the present and I'll shoot some pics for her.

I'm retired now. I have only the good of others in mind, oh yes. :nod:

Teaandtoday5 Sep 17th 2016 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12055084)
Well it will have done. Tell you what, ask your friend what bits she'd like to see again in the present and I'll shoot some pics for her.

I'm retired now. I have only the good of others in mind, oh yes. :nod:

If you are taking requests... Arthur's Hill area 27 Callerton Place (close to Brighton Grove, and the General Hospital - though I'm fairly sure I read that that is closed now) Also the Brighton Tandoori, which surely can't be closed???

caretaker Sep 17th 2016 10:38 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like my kind of place..

Teaandtoday5 Sep 17th 2016 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 12055097)
Looks like my kind of place..

Fantastic! Prices have gone up a bit, but their naan bread has never been bettered. God I'm hungry now...

dbd33 Sep 18th 2016 1:16 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12054982)

The Fog on the Tyne is a ditty composed by Alan Hull, a former friend of mine and the force behind the group Lindesfarne.

I think the Rod Clements faction might argue that.

scrubbedexpat091 Sep 18th 2016 4:15 am

One Canadian value seems to be to constantly bash the US, which makes living here a difficult task at times... But then those same Canadians will flock to the US to buy crap and take vacations, really odd place sometimes...;)

Oink Sep 18th 2016 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12055213)
One Canadian value seems to be to constantly bash the US, which makes living here a difficult task at times... But then those same Canadians will flock to the US to buy crap and take vacations, really odd place sometimes...;)

Its not odd, they're just insecure hypocrites.

MillieF Sep 18th 2016 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Tangram (Post 12054391)
Quite frankly that's the only place I look at the news, if it hasn't happened there, it hasn't happened ;)

Plus 1

Shard Sep 18th 2016 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 12055213)

It's actually a lack of national maturity. Give it another century and Canada will start feeling more secure about its place in the world. However, as Oink notes, there is a whiff of hypocrisy with the vacation thing.

Novocastrian Sep 18th 2016 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Teaandtoday5 (Post 12055096)
If you are taking requests... Arthur's Hill area 27 Callerton Place (close to Brighton Grove, and the General Hospital - though I'm fairly sure I read that that is closed now) Also the Brighton Tandoori, which surely can't be closed???

Why keep a dog and bark for yourself?

Property details for 27 Callerton Place Newcastle Upon Tyne NE4 5NQ - Zoopla

Vulcanoid Sep 18th 2016 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12055291)
It's actually a lack of national maturity. Give it another century and Canada will start feeling more secure about its place in the world. However, as Oink notes, there is a whiff of hypocrisy with the vacation thing.

Considering how many centuries Britain's been going, and has yet to achieve that national maturity with regards to - well, anywhere (see: EU, USA, Australia), you're either out massively on timescale, or cause :p

Shard Sep 18th 2016 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid (Post 12055329)
Considering how many centuries Britain's been going, and has yet to achieve that national maturity with regards to - well, anywhere (see: EU, USA, Australia), you're either out massively on timescale, or cause :p

Highly illogical. ;)

wheatsheaf Sep 18th 2016 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 12055291)

I have wondered about 'national maturity'. What is obvious, I think, is very few appreciate debate or alternative points if view at any level, even in education. Then again, if a whole people can afford to retain the lackings of immaturity and indulge in the knowledge that the older sibling next door is always available, why not? It's worked for over a century!

Teaandtoday5 Sep 19th 2016 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12055319)

:o:o:o:o it's almost as if I'd never heard of the Internet :o
Struggling to manoeuvre round to the front of house, but it's not really looking like the area has changed/improved much :(

Oakvillian Sep 19th 2016 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 12054442)
A good start is that Canadian values are not synonymous with Conservative Party values.

:goodpost:

Canadian values, as espoused by the former government of Our Glorious Steve, seem to include complicity in "extraordinary rendition," enthusiastic support of interrogation-by-torture when carried out by Syrian and Egyptian inquisitorial offices, and thorough and total disregard for the principles of consular assistance given to citizens detained in a foreign country.

Documents show CSIS and RCMP's role in post-9/11 torture of 3 Canadians in Syria - Canada - CBC News

Kellie Leitch's supposed "conversation" on Canadian Values is a very thinly veiled xenophobic rant, with an awful lot of barely-disguised anti-Islamic rhetoric dressed up as jingoism and wrapped in cuddly words. It's poisonous and despicable.