British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Canadian Values (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/canadian-values-883422/)

wheatsheaf Sep 16th 2016 3:09 pm

Canadian Values

The interesting concept of "Canadian Values" has been a hot topic in the past few months. Can these be described unambiguously without being political and if so are these values consistently adhered to.
Is an independent judiciary and executive, and a democratically elected government no longer a practical illustration of Canadian values?

Partially discharged Sep 16th 2016 4:43 pm

Re: Canadian Values

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf (Post 12054070)
The interesting concept of "Canadian Values" has been a hot topic in the past few months. Can these be described unambiguously without being political and if so are these values consistently adhered to.
Is an independent judiciary and executive, and a democratically elected government no longer a practical illustration of Canadian values?

If Rob Ford and Mike Holmes and Don Cheery agree with something then you can be rest assured it represents a 'Canadian' value. Sorry, couldn't resist those 3 seem like the barometers of what is 'canadian' in its values.

wheatsheaf Sep 16th 2016 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 12054148)
If Rob Ford and Mike Holmes and Don Cheery agree with something then you can be rest assured it represents a 'Canadian' value. Sorry, couldn't resist those 3 seem like the barometers of what is 'canadian' in its values.

:lol::rofl:

not2old Sep 16th 2016 6:31 pm

Canadian values, is simply 'multicultural integrated fence sitters'

dbd33 Sep 16th 2016 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf (Post 12054070)
The interesting concept of "Canadian Values" has been a hot topic in the past few months.

It has? There was nothing about it on the BBC website.

Tangram Sep 16th 2016 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 12054255)
It has? There was nothing about it on the BBC website.

Quite frankly that's the only place I look at the news, if it hasn't happened there, it hasn't happened ;)

bats Sep 16th 2016 9:42 pm

Smile a lot, be superficially pleasant but keep a stack of daggers to use behind people's backs. Oh and go on about how frigging wonderful Canada is but spend 40% of the year in another country.

magnumpi Sep 16th 2016 9:59 pm

It's basically an immigration thing brought to light on CBC and City Panic 24 just don't beat ya wife, no genital mutilations and let women drive and learn to read and all will be good.

wheatsheaf Sep 16th 2016 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by magnumpi (Post 12054402)
It's basically an immigration thing brought to light on CBC and City Panic 24 just don't beat ya wife, no genital mutilations and let women drive and learn to read and all will be good.

The impression I have received these past 7-8 weeks is that it has become a huge matter. The Conservative party contenders ( Dr Leitch?, Clemente, the biker dude et al...Leitch has a cute lisp) have raised it as a crucial be all end all, this 'values' thing. CBC have had several hours covering it as have the papers and on the web. The esteemed BBC know
better?

There's many a time I have been thrown the phrase "you can tell a Brit but cant tell him anything" over the 30 years Ive been here by way of introduction. Being personally disposed to education, even correction, I would genuinely appreciate an unambiguous, even if vague, definition of Canadian values, backed up with concrete examples. Can anyone please help?

Former Lancastrian Sep 16th 2016 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf (Post 12054415)
The impression I have received these past 7-8 weeks is that it has become a huge matter. The Conservative party contenders ( Dr Leitch?, Clemente, the biker dude et al...Leitch has a cute lisp) have raised it as a crucial be all end all, this 'values' thing. CBC have had several hours covering it as have the papers and on the web. The esteemed BBC know
better?

There's many a time I have been thrown the phrase "you can tell a Brit but cant tell him anything" over the 30 years Ive been here by way of introduction. Being personally disposed to education, even correction, I would genuinely appreciate an unambiguous, even if vague, definition of Canadian values, backed up with concrete examples. Can anyone please help?

Although not Canadian values in themselves several suggestions have been

Women have equal rights in Canada regardless of what you believe or your culture dictates.
We don't subscribe to Female Genital Mutilation
Follow Canadian laws
No forced marriages although Jessica Alba could force me to marry her
No polygamists
Respect for religious and sexual diversity
Must drink at least one Tim Hortons coffee per week
Q&A: Kellie Leitch on screening immigrants, niqabs and abortion

JonboyE Sep 16th 2016 11:45 pm

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf (Post 12054415)
... Can anyone please help?

A good start is that Canadian values are not synonymous with Conservative Party values.

magnumpi Sep 17th 2016 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12054422)
Although not Canadian values in themselves several suggestions have been

Women have equal rights in Canada regardless of what you believe or your culture dictates.
We don't subscribe to Female Genital Mutilation
Follow Canadian laws
No forced marriages although Jessica Alba could force me to marry her
No polygamists
Respect for religious and sexual diversity
Must drink at least one Tim Hortons coffee per week
Q&A: Kellie Leitch on screening immigrants, niqabs and abortion

This and what I said, it's more western values as such

Oink Sep 17th 2016 12:23 am

If we're talking about generalized cultural values I'd say the main one would be a combination of delusion and insecurity. Secondly then copy everything the US does but halfheartedly and then pretend you haven't.

JamesM Sep 17th 2016 1:05 am

Buy coffee at Tim Hortons

Visit Canadian Tire a few times a year

Believe the Tragically Hip are a good band

Those are the 3 pillars of being a "Canadian".

Stinkypup Sep 17th 2016 1:33 am

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 12054458)
Buy coffee at Tim Hortons

Visit Canadian Tire a few times a year

Believe the Tragically Hip are a good band

Those are the 3 pillars of being a "Canadian".

I'm one third Canadian then.... Just forget the two THs IMO :cool: