British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Canadian stereotypes of Britain? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/canadian-stereotypes-britain-846179/)

Shard Oct 30th 2014 12:04 pm

Canadian stereotypes of Britain?

What stereotypes of Britain do you come across, and what particularly winds you up?!! For me it was the "bad food / bad restaurants" one, as that has really improved over the years.

Partially discharged Oct 30th 2014 1:00 pm

Re: Canadian stereotypes of Britain?

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11456003)
What stereotypes of Britain do you come across, and what particularly winds you up?!! For me it was the "bad food / bad restaurants" one, as that has really improved over the years.

I hear them all from my brother in law here in Canada..a true die in the wool Canadian..so much so that in all honesty he would rather live in Myrtle Beach....

His stereotypes:

monarchy loving stiff upper lip people who wear bowler hats
bad teeth
dreary tv, depressing soap operas
dreary weather..constant rain
obsession with sports he can't relate to: football, cricket, darts (he doesn't consider that a sport), billiards (also not a sport)
pompous people
bland food
warm beer
tiny houses, tiny roads, tiny cars
dull, flat landscape (this is rich considering he has lived his whole life in flat areas of southern ontario)
people travelling to work via public transit (his idea of hell)..

caretaker Oct 30th 2014 1:14 pm

I'm familiar with all the above but he should give darts a try (just tell him players are expected to drink beer while playing), and you don't all live in tiny houses - some of you live in castles.;)
Edit: Also absent were the punks yobs fascists hooligans and all the assorted regional hillbillys.

Tinpusher63 Oct 30th 2014 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 11456053)
a true die in the wool Canadian

I believe the phrase you're looking for is dyed in the wool. :rolleyes:

Partially discharged Oct 30th 2014 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11456064)
I'm familiar with all the above but he should give darts a try (just tell him players are expected to drink beer while playing), and you don't all live in tiny houses - some of you live in castles.;)
Edit: Also absent were the punks yobs fascists hooligans and all the assorted regional hillbillys.

Yep..I forgot about the football 'ooligans and general scotes of the underbelly of british society. Another stereotype by Canadians is the feeling that british people eat a huge amount of lamb..which they seem very suspicious about.

As well, I meant 'dyed in the wool'. Thanks for noticing that.

Souvy Oct 30th 2014 1:59 pm

I hear them all from my brother in law here in Canada..a true die in the wool Canadian..so much so that in all honesty he would rather live in Myrtle Beach....

His stereotypes:

Canadian banknotes have a picture of the Queen on them. My Canadian passport has the Union Flag on it. My UK one doesn't.
bad teeth
Or, British people are no as easily cowed into having unnecessary dental treatment by dentists trying to pay off their student loans?
F**k me sideways!
I was in London last week. People were wearing shorts. It didn't rain once in a week. Maybe he's thinking of Vancouver?
obsession with sports he can't relate to: football, cricket, darts (he doesn't consider that a sport), billiards (also not a sport)
Football (soccer) is rather popular and growing in popularity. My niece plays. Has a growing collection of cards, mostly for fighting. Cricket was the most popular sport in Canada before hockey took off. The first-ever recorded international cricket match was between Canada and the USA. Hockey, of course, was introduced to Canada by the Brits.
pompous people
As opposed to self-righteous, parochial people?
bland food
Now he is really taking the pi$$!
warm beer
That is called ale. It is not meant to be cryogenic. Canadian bars will kill imported Bass or Pride. I don't bother with it.
Let us not forget tiny dicks. Why does someone living in a suburb need a chromed-up F150?
dull, flat landscape (this is rich considering he has lived his whole life in flat areas of southern ontario)
I won't even go there.
people travelling to work via public transit (his idea of hell)
We're back into F150 territory....

Is that enough for you to argue about?:p

I can probably come up with more.

Shard Oct 30th 2014 2:01 pm

His stereotypes:

bad teeth
pompous people
bland food
warm beer

Your BIL has nailed it! (By that I mean come up with a typical stereotype list.) We can close the thread now. Actually, some truth in some of his assertions (TV, teeth) but he can hardly fault the weather or landscape. Or beer !!

JamesM Oct 30th 2014 3:40 pm

His stereotypes:

bad teeth
pompous people
bland food
warm beer

No blander landscape than Southern Ontario.

The food thing when North American's bring it up is easy to shoot down. In the UK we are criticized for our unhealthy stodgy food by our healthy eating counterparts in the Mediterranean and continental Europe.

The North American's try and jump on the band wagon here but when you point out the obesity levels and the fact that they gave McDonald's, Denny's, Burger King, Tim Hortons and Starbucks and other bland contributions to the world they quickly shut up. Not to mention the lack of product range in their supermarkets.

Then you throw in the various celebrity chefs that they watch on the TV.....all British!!

The only other thing I'll point out is that if you study the way English is spoken the lip is much stiffer when American's speak it.

caretaker Oct 30th 2014 3:53 pm

Anachronisms, some of them - the bowler may come back but I doubt it, unfortunate National Health teeth vastly improved, brussel sprouts boiled to death "they just don't like food' remedied by waves of immigration from places with sexy food. You can say die in the wool when discussing eating lamb in the same post.:lol:

Souvy Oct 30th 2014 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11456263)

The food thing when North American's bring it up is easy to shoot down. In the UK we are criticized for our unhealthy stodgy food by our healthy eating counterparts in the Mediterranean and continental Europe.

The North American's try and jump on the band wagon here but when you point out the obesity levels and the fact that they gave McDonald's, Denny's, Burger King, Tim Hortons and Starbucks and other bland contributions to the world they quickly shut up. Not to mention the lack of product range in their supermarkets.

The only other thing I'll point out is that if you study the way English is spoken the lip is much stiffer when American's speak it.

No blander landscape than southern Ontario? Try driving from Montreal to Quebec on the South Shore. That is bland on steroids.

HGerchikov Oct 30th 2014 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11456263)

I beg to differ, I had clients from Winnipeg. I picked her up in Burlington and drove her to Cambridge, she was very excited by the hills:lol:

JamesM Oct 30th 2014 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 11456308)
No blander landscape than southern Ontario? Try driving from Montreal to Quebec on the South Shore. That is bland on steroids.

Originally Posted by HGerchikov (Post 11456315)
I beg to differ, I had clients from Winnipeg. I picked her up in Burlington and drove her to Cambridge, she was very excited by the hills:lol:

:rofl: Ok. Well I've not seen much blander is what I should have said! :lol:

I am I said Oct 30th 2014 5:55 pm

When I grew up in Canada, the other stereotype was dubious personal hygiene. Mind you, that was because the sole English lad we knew was a prime example.

Other stereotypes from expats over here are the tiny washing machines and the weak showers.

greg

colchar Oct 30th 2014 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 11456128)
Cricket was the most popular sport in Canada before hockey took off.

Pardon?

Shard Oct 30th 2014 7:00 pm

It's not quite selling coals to Newcastle, but...

British food winning over the French | World news | The Guardian

Oink Oct 30th 2014 7:05 pm

Because of our accents we sound intelligent and we steal their girlfriends. But tbh, I couldn't give naff what Canadians think of the UK.

Partially discharged Oct 30th 2014 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by I am I said (Post 11456420)
When I grew up in Canada, the other stereotype was dubious personal hygiene. Mind you, that was because the sole English lad we knew was a prime example.

Other stereotypes from expats over here are the tiny washing machines and the weak showers.

greg

My B-I-L, the source of the stereotypes hasn't come up with the weak showers yet..but if he'd ever travelled much, I"m sure he would come up with that. One of his classic quotes was 'the french...what have they ever contributed to the world'...

Keep in mind, he still believes that pizza places in southern Ontario are owned and operated by Italians..so he isn't the most up to date guy on these things.

Partially discharged Oct 30th 2014 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 11456128)
Is that enough for you to argue about?:p

I can probably come up with more.

Thanks for the tips..should be good ammunition for the next time we see each other.

Regarding the bland food thing, he sure does love his cheese in plastic wrap and Doritos.

AlliF Oct 30th 2014 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 11456505)

Regarding the bland food thing, he sure does love his cheese in plastic wrap and Doritos.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw 'Kraft Dinner' offered as a choice on the children's menu in the chain restaurants over here!:eek:
We tried one out with my daughter and she spat it out in disgust. She was only 3 and had more taste than that :rofl:
You can go into Costco and buy crates of the vile stuff. If you ever lose your taste buds completely that is.:thumbdown:

caretaker Oct 30th 2014 10:23 pm

About 40 years ago I brought my friend's Irish Setter to town for his shots and stopped at Mcdonald's for lunch, bought Spud a hamburger. No word of a lie he sniffed for quite a while then ate the bun and left the meat. Canary in a coal mine.

Oink Oct 30th 2014 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11456693)
About 40 years ago I brought my friend's Irish Setter to town for his shots and stopped at Mcdonald's for lunch, bought Spud a hamburger. No word of a lie he sniffed for quite a while then ate the bun and left the meat. Canary in a coal mine.

That's not uncommon with dogs. That's why I stick with kebabs. :thumbup:

Souvy Oct 31st 2014 11:05 am

Originally Posted by colchar (Post 11456451)
Pardon?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket_Canada
Yup.

Check out the names of the association's officials. Says it all really.

JamesM Oct 31st 2014 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by colchar (Post 11456451)
Pardon?

Know your history old chap!

It was even declared the national sport by one of Canada's founding fathers Sir John MacDonald.

Ignorance is not an excuse!

bcmama Nov 1st 2014 6:44 pm

We live in Hobbit sized houses and drive around in Mini's.
It always rains.
We don't have decent dentists.
All we eat is fish and chips and drink beer.

Steve_ Nov 2nd 2014 12:09 am

Whereas Canadians have a frozen upper lip, one of the reasons I started that "two-faced" thread because it doesn't half take some effort to get to their true feelings sometimes.

bad teeth
Well, sort of true, I know of a dentist here who specializes in fixing NHS botch jobs, but Canadians have bad teeth through playing hockey.

I think that one is generally true other than the odd decent sitcom.

How is that not true? :lol:

Yep, know where he's coming from.

pompous people
The British are the world's most opinionated people on subjects they know nothing about, which is in part imo why they had an empire, i.e. went around the world telling people what to think. Epitomized nowadays by Nigel Farage.

bland food
Well, sort of true, but a bit rich coming from a Canadian!

warm beer
Element of truth there too.

Well that's definitely true.

Well it is compared to this part of Alberta but yes, that's overstating it a bit.

Well that bit is true, but it's better than travelling via the 401 in rush hour.

Steve_ Nov 2nd 2014 12:12 am

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 11456308)

I couldn't agree with you more, other than to say the drive from Calgary to Edmonton is even more bland. At least going from Montreal to Quebec you get to see a hill just east of Montreal and also Via Rail trains.

People tell me driving to Regina is even worse, haven't had the courage to do that one yet.

Steve_ Nov 2nd 2014 12:16 am

Originally Posted by scotdownunder (Post 11456609)
You can go into Costco and buy crates of the vile stuff. If you ever lose your taste buds completely that is.:thumbdown:

If you go into a Swiss supermarket there is an aisle of chocolate bars;
if you go into a German supermarket there is an aisle of processed sausage;
if you go into a Russian supermarket there is an aisle of vodka;
if you go into a Canadian supermarket there is an aisle of Kraft Dinner.

To which one of my friends responded, and if you go into an American supermarket there is an aisle of Oreos...

MillieF Nov 2nd 2014 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by bcmama (Post 11458385)
We live in Hobbit sized houses and drive around in Mini's.
It always rains.
We don't have decent dentists.
All we eat is fish and chips and drink beer.

Yeah, it's all that that gets me pretty cross.

Some of the houses in NB would give the old woman who lived in a shoe the feeling that she was in a dez rez.

How a nation that eats the offerings of "Deluxe Fish & Chips" is in a position to take a high tone over anyone else's cuisine leaves me speechless.

Lots of people with money have mouths filled with huge white tombstone like teeth....but there are a lot who have rotting stumps too (maybe that's just an NB phenomenon?) dentistry is definitely only for the well heeled in Canada.

Anytime I make a cursory negative remark about the Canadian climate, of the sort of "gosh, bit grey today" genre, they leap down your throat with "well it's much worse in England" ....but it isn't...

Gozit Nov 2nd 2014 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 11456502)
My B-I-L, the source of the stereotypes hasn't come up with the weak showers yet..but if he'd ever travelled much,

Keep in mind, he still believes that pizza places in southern Ontario are owned and operated by Italians..so he isn't the most up to date guy on these things.

Classic Canadian. I'd bet he's never been outside of Canada, the US and maybe mexico/typical Canadian all inclusive sun travel destinations.

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 11459000)
Anytime I make a cursory negative remark about the Canadian climate, of the sort of "gosh, bit grey today" genre, they leap down your throat with "well it's much worse in England" ....but it isn't...

Grr exactly! People tell me "well doesn't it rain in Malta?" Well yes it does but its much better than this crap!

plasticcanuck Nov 2nd 2014 10:42 pm

Your youth and naïveté is showing........again.

MillieF Nov 2nd 2014 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Gozit (Post 11459246)
Grr exactly! People tell me "well doesn't it rain in Malta?" Well yes it does but its much better than this crap!

Yes it rains in Malta....heavy sunny drops, and angry winter sloshes....nothing like the Canadian unremitting constant ones:blink:

Tirytory Nov 3rd 2014 12:37 am

Classic Canadian. I'd bet he's never been outside of Canada, the US and maybe mexico/typical Canadian all inuclusive sun travel destinations.

You could say that's classic of a country anywhere... There's always a certain percentage who don't move from their armchairs or go only where they comfortable- home from home so to speak. It would be really boring if we were all the same- some people just want to take a holiday where they can relax entirely.

I am I said Nov 3rd 2014 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11459328)
You could say that's classic of a country anywhere... There's always a certain percentage who don't move from their armchairs or go only where they comfortable- home from home so to speak. (snip)

I think this is it. I was struck by the number of comments in this thread that were familiar to me from my early days in Britain. Well, except the Kraft Dinner one, but I will give you scotch eggs in return....

The UK has changed a lot since I came here from Canada in 1991 but an 'off the top of my head' list of things that struck me at the time include:

- absolutely dreadful coffee... instant coffee with some hot chocolate added to make cappuccino [now fixed by Caffe Nero and thousands of others... and I am not defending Timmies!]

- long sandwich shop queues out into the rainy street at lunch time to get a mediocre sandwich [now fixed by Pret, Eat, Pod and thousands of others]

- that if I was unable to afford a house, I could pay extra tax so someone who could afford one would get tax relief on their mortgage [now fixed in a budget some years ago]

- that if I was not bright enough/switched on enough/had the right kind of parental 'encouragement' to go to university, I could pay extra tax so that those with these attributes could go to university for free [now fixed by charging for tuition]

- the ability to find a traffic jam anywhere and at any random time... it may be different now, but when I lived in Toronto, the traffic jam locations and times were generally predictable [accidents on the Gardiner/DVP excepted]

- what people were willing to put up with on public transport. I felt it should be obligatory for Cabinet Ministers to travel by public transport at peak times. And send their children to state schools.

- the passive aggressive comments about Canadians was mirrored by my experience of Brits in the UK. Often there would be a striking comment, followed by a total unwillingness to engage. Unless the person was wearing a shell suit and had very short hair... like the one I found urinating against the wall of my flat one night.

- apparently there have been some issues with Germany in the past....

Another anecdote: an English friend came to see a baseball game back when the Jays were able to win championships and had a real rivalry with the Yankees. She was astounded that the fans of the respective teams were not separated. I was astounded that it was necessary to do so for football games in the UK.

For balance:
- it took me a while, but I learned to appreciate roundabouts over 4 way stops
- the sense of humour [that took me a while, too]
- the quality newspapers
- my wife... [it is why I am still in the UK]

Oink Nov 3rd 2014 10:41 am

Isn't the drinking water salty?

caretaker Nov 3rd 2014 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11459605)
Isn't the drinking water salty?

That's the tears, (they don't want to talk about it). ;)

MrFloyd Nov 3rd 2014 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11459619)
That's the tears, (they don't want to talk about it). ;)

Haha :D!

AlliF Nov 3rd 2014 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by I am I said (Post 11459530)
I think this is it. I was struck by the number of comments in this thread that were familiar to me from my early days in Britain. Well, except the Kraft Dinner one, but I will give you scotch eggs in return....

[it is why I am still in the UK]

Can't see any similarity between the 2 really. It's not necessarily just that the stuff is vile though (obviously everybody has different tastes) - it's the fact that lots of restaurants here are selling pre-packaged dried foods on their menu as an actual meal choice.
And many mums I have spoken to seem to think that it is a perfectly healthy meal for their toddlers. :unsure:
Whether or not you like scotch eggs at least they are actually made from real eggs and sausage meat (as opposed to dried powder reconstituted)

Shard Nov 3rd 2014 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by scotdownunder (Post 11459770)
Can't see any similarity between the 2 really. It's not necessarily just that the stuff is vile though (obviously everybody has different tastes) - it's the fact that lots of restaurants here are selling pre-packaged dried foods on their menu as an actual meal choice.
And many mums I have spoken to seem to think that it is a perfectly healthy meal for their toddlers. :unsure:
Whether or not you like scotch eggs at least they are actually made from real eggs and sausage meat (as opposed to dried powder reconstituted)

Kraft Dinner is not as abominable as you make out. Dried pasta is dried pasta. The cheese sauce is in powdered form as opposed to a bottle of the stuff. Unless you're making the sauce from scratch, not a great deal of difference. How different, for instance, is it from a tin of Heinz spaghetti which many mothers in the UK feed to there children.

Souvy Nov 3rd 2014 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by scotdownunder (Post 11459770)

You just made me hungry. I want a Scotch egg, now.

Am I going to find one around here? No.

I'd settle for a pork pie and some strong mustard. I'm equally screwed (apart from the mustard).

Shard Nov 3rd 2014 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 11459786)
You just made me hungry. I want a Scotch egg, now.

Am I going to find one around here? No.

I'd settle for a pork pie and some strong mustard. I'm equally screwed (apart from the mustard).

I enjoy Scotch egg - minus the egg part - may need to pour one a little later. ;)