British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Maple Leaf (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/)
-   -   Canadian stereotypes of Britain? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/maple-leaf-98/canadian-stereotypes-britain-846179/)

caretaker Nov 3rd 2014 1:56 am

Re: Canadian stereotypes of Britain?

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 11459786)
You just made me hungry. I want a Scotch egg, now.

Am I going to find one around here? No..

I'll take 2 sausages out of the freezer and boil 3 eggs now before going to work. Thank you.
Edit: have fresh sausage after all, bonus!

AlliF Nov 3rd 2014 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11459785)
Kraft Dinner is not as abominable as you make out. Dried pasta is dried pasta. The cheese sauce is in powdered form as opposed to a bottle of the stuff. Unless you're making the sauce from scratch, not a great deal of difference. How different, for instance, is it from a tin of Heinz spaghetti which many mothers in the UK feed to there children.

It's horrible - the ingredients list is a shocker. I agree pasta is just pasta but the sauce is just awful.
And how many restaurants do you see passing off macaroni cheese made with cheese sauce from a bottle (also vile) on their menus?:confused:

caretaker Nov 3rd 2014 2:09 am

Not like it's difficult to make good mac & cheese from scratch either.

AlliF Nov 3rd 2014 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11459785)
Kraft Dinner is not as abominable as you make out. Dried pasta is dried pasta. The cheese sauce is in powdered form as opposed to a bottle of the stuff. Unless you're making the sauce from scratch, not a great deal of difference. How different, for instance, is it from a tin of Heinz spaghetti which many mothers in the UK feed to there children.

I wouldn't feed my child a tin of Heinz spaghetti as a meal but a quick google produces this comparison ( I would say just a little bit of difference)....

Ingredients in Heinz spaghetti;
Spaghetti (49%, Water, Durum Wheat Semolina, Wheat Flour (contains Calcium, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Tomatoes (43%), Sugar, Glucose - Fructose Syrup, Modified Cornflour, Salt, Citric Acid, Herb Extract, Garlic Salt, Spice Extract,

Additives: Free From Artificial Colours

Additives: Free From Artificial Flavours

Additives: Free From Artificial Preservatives

Additives Other Text: Absolutely no preservatives

Additives Other Text: No artificial colours or flavours

Ingredients in Kraft dinner;

Macaroni is the first ingredient, as expected. The second ingredient is a “cheese sauce mix” composed of 20 sub-ingredients. The first three are not even cheese – Whey and whey protein concentrate are byproducts of milk, and modified food starch – an additive that increase the bulk of a food. Other additives include potassium chloride – used instead of salt to decrease the sodium level in foods, sodium tripolyphosphate – used to maintain moisture, Medium Chain Triglycerides – a substitute for regular oil, and artificial colors yellow 5 & 6 – shown to cause neural problems in some children.

AlliF Nov 3rd 2014 2:13 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11459803)
Not like it's difficult to make good mac & cheese from scratch either.

Exactly! We learned in home Economics at 12 years of age how to do it.

caretaker Nov 3rd 2014 2:25 am

Originally Posted by scotdownunder (Post 11459807)

I took shop but I'm catching up. :lol:

plasticcanuck Nov 3rd 2014 5:15 am

Originally Posted by scotdownunder (Post 11459807)

Home Economics in Scotland 101

Firstly deep fry everything to ensure number of our deaths from heart disease continues to lead the western world.

Perhaps if you deep fried Kraft Dinner you'd learn to love it and consider it just fine for your children.

Oakvillian Nov 3rd 2014 5:26 am

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 11460001)

Firstly deep fry everything to ensure number of our deaths from heart disease continues to lead the western world.

Perhaps if you deep fried Kraft Dinner you'd learn to love it and consider it just fine for your children.

Hold on - that might just work. Take one dollop of cold & congealed Kraft Dinner, coat in a good thick batter, deep fry until crispy and golden. For added finesse, shape the dollop of KD into a sausage first, so it's easier to hold onto and bite from one end.

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/si...the-toilet.gif

I am I said Nov 3rd 2014 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 11460012)
Hold on - that might just work. Take one dollop of cold & congealed Kraft Dinner, coat in a good thick batter, deep fry until crispy and golden. For added finesse, shape the dollop of KD into a sausage first, so it's easier to hold onto and bite from one end.

Leftover fried KD with lots of ketchup was a university breakfast staple.

Shard Nov 3rd 2014 5:56 am

Originally Posted by I am I said (Post 11460052)
Leftover fried KD with lots of ketchup was a university breakfast staple.

Hard to get more disgusting than that. :unsure:

AlliF Nov 3rd 2014 6:20 am

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 11460001)

:sick:
Haven't owned a deep fat fryer since I left uni 20 years ago.

Seriously though, yes Scottish food has a bad rep - not always justly deserved - but people do love to hold on to their out dated stereotypes.
I am not claiming Scottish food is healthy - the point is so many Canadians blabbing on about how rubbish British food is when their own food is pretty crappy is a bit rich.
Salt levels in food over here are the worst - I have resorted to making my own sausage meat because I can't eat the stuff they produce here it's so salty.

Tirytory Nov 3rd 2014 6:31 am

I find that children's menus are fairly limited in Canada- Poutine, pizza, fries and something....I haven't come across anything healthy. We usually ask for something to be made..

AlliF Nov 3rd 2014 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11460091)
I find that children's menus are fairly limited in Canada- Poutine, pizza, fries and something....I haven't come across anything healthy. We usually ask for something to be made..

Yup, usually chicken nuggets and grilled cheese feature pretty highly. :nod:
We tend to try and order something off the adult menu each for us, just ask for a side salad or veggie side order for her and then take stuff off our plate. The portions are usually huge enough anyway.
If we order a takeaway we only order one main course and one starter and split it 3 ways - and still have leftovers.

Shard Nov 3rd 2014 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11460091)

Did you find children's menus in Britain healthy?

plasticcanuck Nov 3rd 2014 6:58 am

Oh, so you're the one? The new Scottish Police Force has you on its Most Wanted List. Now they know where you are they can begin extradition proceedings. You could be visiting the Auld Sod earlier than you planned.

AlliF Nov 3rd 2014 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11460115)

I think you're missing the point Shard - it is the fact that the Canadians who cling onto these stereotypes are in extremely fragile glass houses lobbing stones at the state of British food.
I have no idea what the children's menus are like in Britain - left 8 years ago before we had kids. But I would assume it's about the same.
I'm pretty sure there are no people in Britain saying look how awful Canadian food is compared to ours..

AlliF Nov 3rd 2014 7:03 am

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck (Post 11460124)

Oh, so you're the one? The new Scottish Police Force has you on its Most Wanted List. Now they know where you are they can begin extradition proceedings. You could be visiting the Auld Sod earlier than you planned.

:hysterical:
:sarcasm:

Tirytory Nov 3rd 2014 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11460115)

I think there was starting to be.... I never find that any veg is offered in Canadian kids meals- whereas in the UK definitely so.

Shard Nov 3rd 2014 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11460350)
I think there was starting to be.... I never find that any veg is offered in Canadian kids meals- whereas in the UK definitely so.

Maybe. There's certainly no shortage of nuggets/pizza/macaroni UK kids menus though. Ideally, we would be like the French - just serve a smaller portion of something from the main menu as the kid's menu.

Tirytory Nov 3rd 2014 9:36 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11460360)
Maybe. There's certainly no shortage of nuggets/pizza/macaroni UK kids menus though. Ideally, we would be like the French - just serve a smaller portion of something from the main menu as the kid's menu.

Yes absolutely... Really that is just what should be offered. I suppose my thinking arises from going somewhere I expect the menu for children to be better and it's not. Great for adults- not much thought for kids. Guess it's supply and demand thing..

HGerchikov Nov 3rd 2014 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11460367)
Yes absolutely... Really that is just what should be offered. I suppose my thinking arises from going somewhere I expect the menu for children to be better and it's not. Great for adults- not much thought for kids. Guess it's supply and demand thing..

Maybe something on the Starters menu might work? Also a lot of restaurants may well serve you a smaller portion of something if you asked them, doesn't hurt to ask.

HGerchikov Nov 3rd 2014 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Oakvillian (Post 11460012)

or wrap it around an egg

caretaker Nov 3rd 2014 11:16 am

Ideally, we would be like the French - just serve a smaller portion of something from the main menu as the kid's menu.[/QUOTE]
With just a small glass of wine. I think the fast food places may tailor their kids menu to what keeps them quiet and chewing for 15 minutes. I have little trust and less faith.

Oink Nov 3rd 2014 11:23 am

Why take kids to a restaurant in the first place?

caretaker Nov 3rd 2014 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11460462)

A real restaurant? Because women want to see you be good with their kids. I offered to give them money to go across the street to Mcdonalds but she wouldn't have it and they went out of their way to be bad. Any time I wish I'd had kids all I have to do is sit next to one in a restaurant and the feeling passes.

Oink Nov 3rd 2014 11:43 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11460469)
A real restaurant? Because women want to see you be good with their kids. I offered to give them money to go across the street to Mcdonalds but she wouldn't have it and they went out of their way to be bad. Any time I wish I'd had kids all I have to do is sit next to one in a restaurant and the feeling passes.

They mostly look like they're having a horrible time and would rather be anywhere else.

caretaker Nov 3rd 2014 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11460473)
They mostly look like they're having a horrible time and would rather be anywhere else.

I remember what it was like being 13 but sometimes it wasn't bad. Regina didn't have much to offer for restaurants back then but there was some kind of diners club bs card dad bought into so we went out monthly (I think) like it or not. Sometimes I didn't want to go (and sometimes didn't) but I think kids are generally snottier now.
Edit: Can I take that back? The youth are our future, etc.

Tirytory Nov 3rd 2014 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11460462)

Because we don't want to leave them with babysitters we've found on the t'internet:rofl:

MillieF Nov 3rd 2014 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11460455)
Ideally, we would be like the French - just serve a smaller portion of something from the main menu as the kid's menu.

The French teach children to value food....they look, critically, at the items we are trying to jam into them. Well done!

BristolUK Nov 4th 2014 12:53 am

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11460535)
Because we don't want to leave them with babysitters we've found on the t'internet:rofl:

Always good to have a witty comment based on a previous thread.:thumbup:

BristolUK Nov 4th 2014 12:55 am

Originally Posted by MillieF (Post 11460564)
The French teach children to value food....they look, critically, at the items we are trying to jam into them. Well done!

Can we have a series of food puns like this?:rofl:

I propose we toast the French.

Shard Nov 4th 2014 1:00 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11461057)
Can we have a series of food puns like this?:rofl:

I propose we toast the French.

Your proposal is a bit cheesy.

BristolUK Nov 4th 2014 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11461059)
Your proposal is a bit cheesy.

Lettuce hope it improves.

caretaker Nov 4th 2014 1:19 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11461068)
Lettuce hope it improves.

No chance, those little pancakes taste like crepe.

Shard Nov 4th 2014 1:21 am

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11461094)
No chance, those little pancakes taste like crepe.

Whine, whine, whine.

Arty Nov 8th 2014 3:17 am

[QUOTE=Souvy;11456128]Is that enough for you to argue about?:p

I can probably come up with more.[/QUO

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

CanAngel Nov 14th 2014 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11460350)

We always ask to switch fries for steamed vegs and have never had an issue with it. I have seen the option on a lot of kids menus lately. Maybe I am not the only one asking :)

Simon Legree Nov 15th 2014 2:42 am

Originally Posted by CanAngel (Post 11472791)
We always ask to switch fries for steamed vegs and have never had an issue with it. I have seen the option on a lot of kids menus lately. Maybe I am not the only one asking :)

We did that 30 years ago when out kids were small. Never had a problem. I suppose we were fortunate in that they never wanted to go to the "golden arches" and other junk food joints.